Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Had a deer run off after being hit yesterday.

I use a white 451 shooting 60-70 grains of FFF and heavy cast.

Damn thing ran nearly 45 yards before it laid to rest. I havent had that happen in a long time.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Big old conical bullets don't let them get far, usually a blood trail Stevie Wonder can follow in the short distance they do go though.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Doesn’t sound like he runn-oft to me? You found him didn’t you?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had that happen with a couple I shot with my .451 Super Safari.

This one ran so far (3') his horns and one of his lags fell off! crazy
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tmitch

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thats the gun I am using, except mine has a little splatter paint on the stock, and I'd imagine a few more dings dents and scratches.

BY far my favorite hunting gun.

This was one of doc whites 460-something grainers. I have a few left, trying to use them up (on deer).

I typically use the 460 no excuses, and my all time favorite (most accurate, hardest hitting, best looking) are some 460 grainers a campfire friend made for me. I need to get a copy of that mould and cast some more soon.

I used to use 80 grains of 2f, but have decreased to 60 grains of 3f the past couple seasons. The big heavy soft lead just doesnt need that much powder to get to a good killing velocity.

Maybe I should up the charge though... this one did run off a bit

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In my .451 Whites I've been using the White 350 grain Power Star sabot (.40 cal bullet) over 70 grains 777. Haven't had one stay inside a deer yet. Of the 5 I can recall, 3 were bang/flops and the other 2 didn't make it out of sight.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
In my custom White .451 I shoot a 460 gr Bullshop or No Excuse with 80 gr Goex 2f, same p.o.i.
In my Knight .45 I shoot a Gould 350 conical with 65 gr Swiss 2F, both guns will shoot a inch or under at 100yds.
Farthest anything has made it with the .451 White is 30 yds others have been DRT.. haven't killed anything with the Knight only taken it out a couple times.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Love my White Super 91s.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't consider that "ran off".

Using 50 caliber prb, I would consider that pretty good.
(Through the ribs) Way too often, they have run farther than
that before dropping any blood.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I don't consider that "ran off".

Using 50 caliber prb, I would consider that pretty good.
(Through the ribs) Way too often, they have run farther than
that before dropping any blood.

I dont either Dillon, I was just havin fun. Just extolling the virtues of big heavy slow lead on its ability to drop game DRT.

FWIW, and I am sure htat you proably have a lot more experience than I do on this, but I found the 54 to be a big order of magnitude better at dropping them and/or making crazy big blood trails over the 50. I know lots of guys love their 50 prb. I get it, but to me the 54 kicks no more and is a far more reliable deer thumper.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buddy and I were archery hunting one fall. Both in tree perches about 100 yards apart. He arrowed doe that ran by me at Mach 3.5, with blood spurting out from both the in and out hole her chest.

We never did find that doe!

2-years ago I wacked a decent buck with my 50 cal in-line. He ran 50 yards before I found the first drop of blood and then another 50 before he piled up. Decent enough shot placement and he STILL got that far.

That's the only two zombie deer in my history. The others all dropped pretty much on the spot. But it happens. They can run far when their mostly dead.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i violate my .504 white with a sabot and .45 cal xtp. have shot plenty of heavy lead downrange with it, just didnt like the trajectory or recoil. with the abomination sabot it kills like a .44 mag carbine ... which is to say, good

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 14 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.