Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Im looking at doing a 5 to 7 day trip to Alaska to flyfish. Im interested in king salmon, silver salmon, and grayling fishing with a flyrod. Is a DIY trip possible or should I use a guide. Im thinking about flying into Anchorage then flying to Soldotna to fish. Any recommendations for lodging, public access, and lastly outfitters if I cant DIY? Thank you

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can tell you that in Talkeetna, up the road from Anchorage, you won't hardly find a silver and a king at the same time. For the most part. Some of the salmon are same time, others you have to pick and choose between species.

Personally I"d be thinking Red and silver would be my choices if the two blended at your desired location. And I'd pick silvers over the reds just RE how you catch them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kings are going to be the hardest, if at all possible. Silvers would be funner to catch. Grayling aren't all that hard to catch if they are there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a pretty tall order. Most all rivers will be closed to king salmon fishing when the silvers arrive. The kenai runs will overlap the last week of July, as well as pinks and Reds, though. The kasilof will is another one that would be open, but I don't recall seeing anyone "flyfishing" either one, especially in that timeframe because of high water and heavy flows.
Chuck and duck is more the norm on those rivers if you're on the bank.

If anything, fly into Anchorage and rent a car to have options to move around

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
Im looking at doing a 5 to 7 day trip to Alaska to flyfish. Im interested in king salmon, silver salmon, and grayling fishing with a flyrod. Is a DIY trip possible or should I use a guide. Im thinking about flying into Anchorage then flying to Soldotna to fish. Any recommendations for lodging, public access, and lastly outfitters if I cant DIY? Thank you

Consider this....

This place is good for Kings, Silvers (not at the same time) and world class Rainbows.
Kings run early with the Reds and the Silvers follow much later...

It's not all fancy but it's in a amazingly good location.

Do-it-Yourself Trip

$2,995
......currently offering $300.00 off for early booking...

For the self-sufficient angler that wants to spend a week on the world
famous Naknek, exploring this angling paradise on his own.

Private Riverfront Cabin
All Food in our Comfortable Dining Room
Transportation to and from the King Salmon Airport
Boat and Motor with Gas

https://www.naknekrivercamp.com

Just down river from Naknek River Camp and further from the best Rainbows on the river is Crystal Creek Lodge.
They have all the bells and whistles any snazzy Lodge would and their rates are...

6 days guided activities, 7 nights accommodations
With 5 flyouts: $12,500 per person

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hated doing Kings on fly's.

I was fishing the Nushagak when you could be bangin' 20 Kings a day tossing hardware at them with two guys in a boat, if I got a guy that insisted on Fly fishing, I'd be down to a 1 King a day average. The only way I even maintained that was to tie a monster egg pattern and saturate it in roe juice...it wasn't any fun.....

I'd toss all the spinning gear in the world overboard to catch Silvers, Rainbows and Graythings on the fly though, just not Kings.

The Bristol Bay King run is holding up better than the S.E. in recent years.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to catch a king but silvers are fine. What is the better tablefare? Guess I will need to decide. Probably go after Silvers if easier to catch on flyrod

Last edited by Esox357; 01/22/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to catch a king but silvers are fine. What is the better tablefare? Guess I will need to decide. Probably go after Silvers if easier to catch on flyrod

Silvers are definitely easier to catch on a fly rod.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guess im going with that. Hopefully they taste good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Silvers are delicious

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im thinking about flying into Anchorage then flying to Soldotna to fish.

Fly from Anchorage to Soldotna? It would be cheaper to rent a car and drive.

OR

If you use guide from Soldotna, they might even come get you at the airport.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31127-Activities-c61-t217-Soldotna_Alaska.html

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Flies for silvers. Egg snell a hook and put a piece of black or blue yarn on. Generally black. Every now and then orange. Doesn't have to be much harder than that though they hit all kinds really. Have caught a lot on some small blue/chrome trout flies quite often too.

I like that you can spot a silver in the midst of lots of other fish and sight cast a fly to them and have a good chance of enticing them, rather than blindly hauling and hoping. Elevation helps, like on the back of a boat...but its not needed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Flies for silvers. Egg snell a hook and put a piece of black or blue yarn on. Generally black. Every now and then orange. Doesn't have to be much harder than that though they hit all kinds really. Have caught a lot on some small blue/chrome trout flies quite often too.

I like that you can spot a silver in the midst of lots of other fish and sight cast a fly to them and have a good chance of enticing them, rather than blindly hauling and hoping. Elevation helps, like on the back of a boat...but its not needed.

Out in the salt I used big streamers, pink or bright green. Strip it in fast jerks while letting it sink in between and hold on.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats good to know if I can ever get to the salt.

Have not seen anyone try bright green way up the fresh. I'll have to put it on my list, though I rarely hook anything with lime green pixies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I used big streamers, pink or bright green. Strip it in fast jerks while letting it sink in between and hold on.

Same, I'd always put something for some flash in them.
We just call them pixie flies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats good to know if I can ever get to the salt.

Have not seen anyone try bright green way up the fresh. I'll have to put it on my list, though I rarely hook anything with lime green pixies.

Coho are angry when they are in the salt. I don't even throw spinners or spoons if I am fishing from shore. I use a Mister Twister sassy shad on a jig head, they smash it. Had to shop around for jig heads that were tough enough to endure more than a fish or two. Most of them are too weak and get annhilated.

Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I used big streamers, pink or bright green. Strip it in fast jerks while letting it sink in between and hold on.

Same, I'd always put something for some flash in them.
We just call them pixie flies.

Yep that helps a lot too. Sometimes I would use flies with either a weighted head or a weighted body to help it sink a little faster. The weighted head helped give it a pretty good action on the retrieve.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am big on big flies for fresh fish. Shrink them the longer they have been in freshwater.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was fishing with those type flies with two guests in the boat over on the Togiak River, we got big fish there, 12 -15 pounds all the time.

They were fighters, jumpers, lots of fun.
Had a guy hook up and this Silver just stripped him out in moments, got to the end of the backing and it just blew up and he was gone.

About an hour later we were reeling in another rig and dragged in that fly line we'd lost.
Fish was still on it...the guy just started hand lining him in, the backing was piling up in the boat so I grabbed it and put it back through the eyes on the rod that was stripped, reeled it back up and caught up with the guy hand lining.

He got to fight the fish the rest the way in on the rod he started the fight with....

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow that had to be fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On most of the road system the daily limit on silvers is two. Reds while smaller have a usual limit of three and that is frequently jacked to 5 or 6. And reds are better eating IMO.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
492 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.