Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The mint I've been running for a while now 18.1? to the current 19.3 have a update manager that prompts you when you have updates available. Biggest PITA about it IMO is typing in the user password to update other than that it's been pretty much painless.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Agree. The need to type in your admin password to "Authenticate" most things is a pain. Have also found a couple programs that are Win or Mac only, another irritation. AND, no decent Solitaire or Mahjong games!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Majong needs are basic I'm happy with the one you find in the software manager. I even found a chess program that works for my little bit of chess playing ability.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep, the solitaire games are pretty basic. It'll be interesting how you adapt to Mint in the future. There is a learning curve, things are called different, names of things are different, but it works and no MS. The only thing I haven't ironed out yet is getting my bore scope to work on it. Internet, photos, email, printer, etc has all worked well.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to have to use my wife's 'pooter to update my golf GPS, for one. Either that, or buy a cheap Windows tablet or laptop just for that. Hardly worth it.

For now, I think I'm going to be happy with this Linux Mint as well as the financial program Mint (no relation) but time will tell. I've played with Linux before, so the learning curve isn't all that steep.

I for damn sure am not going to erase my Win 10 Recovery thumb drive, or my Windows backups until I know absolutely I won't be going back.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Guys, I've been lurking here for a while. You suckered me in with a math problem a while back. My background is engineering and I've been running some variant of *nix for over thirty years. I was exited to see so many Linux user here. Woo-hoo! But then it's all: "Yeah, I use it to play games." Bummer!

Rocky, you mentioned dual boot. Have you considered, instead, something like VirtualBox? You can run Linux and Windows simultaneously.

And for those of you complaining about library management. Are you doing this manually with RPM? Your distribution should have a package manger like DNF that'll take care of all the dependencies for you automatically. I've been using Linux for a long time. I first got the kernel and a few bin-utils in the early 90s on a couple floppies. My, how things have changed!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Beagler
Guys, I've been lurking here for a while. You suckered me in with a math problem a while back. My background is engineering and I've been running some variant of *nix for over thirty years. I was exited to see so many Linux user here. Woo-hoo! But then it's all: "Yeah, I use it to play games." Bummer!

Rocky, you mentioned dual boot. Have you considered, instead, something like VirtualBox? You can run Linux and Windows simultaneously.

And for those of you complaining about library management. Are you doing this manually with RPM? Your distribution should have a package manger like DNF that'll take care of all the dependencies for you automatically. I've been using Linux for a long time. I first got the kernel and a few bin-utils in the early 90s on a couple floppies. My, how things have changed!

As soon as I get enough hardware scrounged up I plan on doing a ground up Linux build. I checked out the Build From Scratch site and it looks like an interesting project.

I don't want to do it on this computer. It's set up and running good so I'll leave it alone except for playing with Wine and some audio programs.

Last edited by dodgefan; 01/17/20.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find Linux updates far quicker and easier than Win10, this being one of my reasons for switching.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by dodgefan
As soon as I get enough hardware scrounged up I plan on doing a ground up Linux build. I checked out the Build From Scratch site and it looks like an interesting project.

I don't want to do it on this computer. It's set up and running good so I'll leave it alone except for playing with Wine and some audio programs.

I never had much luck with Wine but it's been decades since I tried to use it. It's probably miles ahead of what it was. I was using VMWare for quite a while, but they're not free and when they stopped supporting older hardware I switched to VirtualBox. It's free and supports older hardware. You don't have to re-install Linux to try VirtualBox. It's probably comes with most distributions. Install the package and all its dependencies, create a virtual machine and install Window on it. I was shocked at how much easier it was to use compared to VMWorkstation and free to boot. If you don't like it, just delete the virtual machine and VirtualBox and you're back where you started.

Back in the day, Wine was an emulator for the old windows operating system. I've had better luck with dosbox for use with my old games. That's right: Linux for the serious stuff and M$ (or the free equivalent) for the toys.

Here's a screenshot of Linux hosting Window 7 via VirtualBox and running a DOS game in dosbox. [Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't really need Wine for anything. I'm just starting to mess with it to see what it can do.

I saw a VM in the software manager, but figured I'd do some reading before I messed around with it at all.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have been using linux for lot of years currently manjaro it is a rolling release no reinstall always up to date.
6 yrs no problem it boots in 7.332 seconds.

systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.783s (firmware) + 24.047s (loader) + 2.297s (kernel) + 7.556s (userspace) = 36.685s
graphical.target reached after 7.322s in userspace

Give it a try then search for quicken equivalent for linux and try some.
charlee

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Nope. Oh well, count me as a Linux user!

Fortunately, I had all my photos and documents saved to a removable drive. Imported them and nothing was lost (WHEW!) Firefox also loaded with ROBOFORM intact, so I didn't lose any of my many many complex passwords (WHEW AGAIN!)

I also went to MINT.com and set up an account there. All this took about three hours.

Hurray!

I'm quite happy for you--think you'll find it worth the effort.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One problem so far...When I have a pull-down box, some of them cut off the command boxes at the bottom. I can see the tops of the boxes, but not the words inside. So I'm guessing about what I click on. Can't figure out how to increase the size of the menu box.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One day in, and here are my thoughts...

The things I miss from Windows: the ability to use ASCII characters; the ability to easily modify things on screen like drop down boxes; decent games; the ability to run certain programs I use a lot;

Things I like about Linux: the many programs included (Libre Office, Google Earth, Firefox, etc); the worry-free virus/malware environment; auto update of programs;

Things I don't like about Linux: the need to enter a password to do almost anything; the limited list of programs available; the fact that I'd have to be an IT geek to do many things;

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by charleeontop
I have been using linux for lot of years currently manjaro it is a rolling release no reinstall always up to date.
6 yrs no problem it boots in 7.332 seconds.

systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.783s (firmware) + 24.047s (loader) + 2.297s (kernel) + 7.556s (userspace) = 36.685s
graphical.target reached after 7.322s in userspace

Give it a try then search for quicken equivalent for linux and try some.
charlee

That is a good idea, IMHO.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Okay, I loaded mint.com into Linux. It is an "assets monitoring" program that gives me up to the minute balances on all my accounts, credit score, plus home and vehicle values. Handy indeed, but it is not a personal finance because you can't write checks or do reports. I'll keep it, though.

Then loaded KMyMoney, which is very similar to Quicken. Haven't played with it much, but it seems to be what I'm looking for.

I was on the edge of going back to Win 10, but now may stick it out with Linux for a while. I still miss the ease with which I could do things in Windows but are more complicated in Linux. And the games in Linux really suck. Windows Jigsaw was one of my favorites - gone. And I had just spent $100 renewing some software packages for Windows, now money wasted.

More updates as I progress...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
One day in, and here are my thoughts...

The things I miss from Windows: the ability to use ASCII characters; the ability to easily modify things on screen like drop down boxes; decent games; the ability to run certain programs I use a lot;

Things I like about Linux: the many programs included (Libre Office, Google Earth, Firefox, etc); the worry-free virus/malware environment; auto update of programs;

Things I don't like about Linux: the need to enter a password to do almost anything; the limited list of programs available; the fact that I'd have to be an IT geek to do many things;

Rocky I don't really know what ASCII characters are, but the link might be help you out.

https://securitronlinux.com/bejiita...ubuntu-and-linux-mint-with-the-keyboard/

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Not to highjack this thread, but with the many Teslong bore scopes out there now, anyone getting one to work on Mint? I can't get mine to show up on any program.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Not to highjack this thread, but with the many Teslong bore scopes out there now, anyone getting one to work on Mint? I can't get mine to show up on any program.

Here is my understanding.
The Teslong works on the Win10 default web cam drivers through the camera app. For Android and Mac they have download driver programs on the web page. So unless you can find the drivers compatible with Linux or an app that runs in Linux that has windows compatible drivers.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One frustration solved...

kMyMoney only comes with two check printing templates, neither of which fit my pre-printed checks. Online sources told me I'd have to either write my own template in HTML or edit either of the others. I am NOT a programmer and could not write a line of HTML code if my life depended on it. And it turns out there are no existing WYSIWYG (you can look it up) programs for Linux Mint to help non-geeks like me. I played with some online programs but couldn't figure out how to save the compiled code.

THEN, I happened to discover that LibreOffice Write can say a text file as HTML! So I diddled around with fonts and layout and after only about six tries managed to get a check template that not only runs on kMyMoney but actually fits my checks! It isn't perfect, but I don't think the bank will reject them.

I need a drink.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
671 members (1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.