Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Libre Office has done everything, opened everything I've ever thrown at it.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nicely done.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use my checkbook

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm possibly more of a troglodyte than you, hanco - I have a flip phone.

I am no 'pooter geek, but I'm also not afraid to tackle unknown things when I want to get something done. Hence my decision to switch to Linux and Chromebook in the first place. Neither is an insurmountable obstacle. So far, anyway.

Checks? I use only a few checks a month, for people who don't take credit cards - our maid, for example. Or to mail in tax payments. So I still need to write checks. Quicken did the job for upwards of 20 years for me but it does not run in Linux. MyMoney is pretty close to Quicken but its check formats are crap. I have now fixed that.

Pardon me while I sip a congratulatory martini while simultaneously patting myself on the back!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Not to highjack this thread, but with the many Teslong bore scopes out there now, anyone getting one to work on Mint? I can't get mine to show up on any program.

Absolutely. I had to apt-get install a certain program (can't remember right now) but it fired right up.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
One day in, and here are my thoughts...

The things I miss from Windows: the ability to use ASCII characters; the ability to easily modify things on screen like drop down boxes; decent games; the ability to run certain programs I use a lot;

Things I like about Linux: the many programs included (Libre Office, Google Earth, Firefox, etc); the worry-free virus/malware environment; auto update of programs;

Things I don't like about Linux: the need to enter a password to do almost anything; the limited list of programs available; the fact that I'd have to be an IT geek to do many things;

Rocky,

Regarding your dislike of Linux for requiring a password: This is honestly a security feature. Windows was/is sooooo easily breached specifically because installing malware in many cases did not require a password. Your system was cracked in the background without your knowledge, just by clicking on something that seemed innocuous. This, because either the user was running as Administrator, or because the user had opted to be automatically elevated to Administrator privileges.

The fact that UNIX was designed from the ground up to be a multi-user OS meant that there were always going to be different classes of users. And regular old users, which is what WE ALL ARE, don't use administrator/root level credentials. UNLESS they are performing administrative/root level tasks. Hence the need to enter passwords when prompted, and the use of sudo, or to su to root.

Please feel free to reach out to me via PM at any time if you hit any hurdles during your transition.
For instance, knowing that all you needed was an HTML template for your check printing - that's a 20 minute job to get you 90% of the way there. So while I don't run Linux Mint at present, I'm currently using Ubuntu, which is similar enough that a lot of knowledge transfers.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 01/23/20.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you, Scott. It gets easier and more familiar every day - just as it did with Win 10 or any other switch. Thanks for the offer of help. To make a terminal pun, I shall so do.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Running as an administrator is the easiest for most home users. But even as an admin if the UAC is set high enough it will still give a prompt and ask for verification to make changes to the system or software installation. If more than one user by enabling the lock screen and setting the screensaver to none it will enable the lock screen at set time and also the 5 min auto logout. This will force either an admin login or switch user/ password prompt. I even have the UAC set on admin to notify if any program is trying to make a change. For other users the admin can lock out program access, internet or whatever including download and install with password required. Parental control if you will.
Common sense is the key, but Rocky didn’t get hacked, he screwed up trying to set up a dual boot and erased Win10 wasn’t the OS, wasn’t a virus. Plain human error.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, that's what happened. Clicked the wrong box during Install. Or didn't know that clicking a different box didn't UNcheck the other one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Nope. Oh well, count me as a Linux user!

Fortunately, I had all my photos and documents saved to a removable drive. Imported them and nothing was lost...

Thank the Lord.

I have used Linux nigh on 20 years for home & work. Had ben Linux-free for a few years until I got a deal on 4 old-but-mint-condition Lenovo business class laptops for $150. Installed Mint with xfce environment and the kiddos are happy as clams.

Mint has ben the easiest OS to install & maintain, even including Windows XP, 7, and 10. Just no issues, other than my daughter sleeping on her laptop and busting the LCD display.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.