Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We need some western cowboy pictures, or yarns.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
See Wyman Meinzer’s photo book of “The Waggoner Ranch.” Wyman is a good friend of our family and my fav cousins son, Josh Rodriguez, is featured. It is truly awesome. Enjoy.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard I've never been much of a story teller but for the past week we have been dealing with a high headed old bitch of a cow.

We have some small pastures here close to home where we run old cows/calves without a bull. Wean the calves, fatten up the cows a little and sell them as canners. We've been hauling them feed for the last 45-50 days and should have pulled the calves sooner but our feed yard was a mudhole and we waited until it froze up to bring home the last 50 calves.

Anyway last week we pen the 20 or so old pairs in the 'railroad pasture' and proceed to haul them out in a stock trailer. First load ol' #710 blows by me and shakes her head doing the sideways Mexican fighting cow routine. Immediately I think sonuvabitch this old hide is gonna be trouble. Sure enough she's getting squirrelier every time we come to get another load. Last load she is the last cow on the trailer and just as I run up to slam the trailer gate she spins out of the trailer.

Now is when the fun starts.

She's the only cow left in the pen and really wigs out. Knocks my dad down, and starts running around the pen like a race horse. I holler at dad to get the hell outta there! He was slightly stunned and kinda looked at me and I said GET THE FUUCK OUTTA THERE NOW!

Luckily crazy bitch spies the weak point in the corral and hits it at full throttle blowing right through.

Great.

She is running full out, tail in the air, head high. I'm thinking god damn it, no way we're gonna get her back in!

Light bulb came on a few seconds later and I let out a 'calf in distress call'. Somehow she heard and stopped looking back at the corral. I wasn't sure if we'd already hauled her calf home but when I looked in the trailer the calf just happened to be looking right at me standing in front of the slider gate. SWEET! Open it up and he jumps back out into the loading alley were we locked him up as bait.......

Wait a few days for the old bitch to settle down and get hungry and we lured her back into the repaired corral. No way in hell could we go into the corral with her so we load the calf first and figure if she knows her calf is in the trailer she might load up behind him.

Wrong, she gets wild again and crawls/jumps over a 6' steel panel on the alley way and back out she goes.

Sonuvabitch!

Repeat the hunger game and we caught her again on Monday.

This afternoon we chained up a heavy duty panel and set it at about 8' high. Load the calf and she starts for the trailer but gets goofy again. This time she jumps up on the frozen water tank and over a 5' panel tearing it all to hell.

I looked at the boss and said I'm shooting that bitch tomorrow.

He agreed.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Richard I've never been much of a story teller but for the past week we have been dealing with a high headed old bitch of a cow.

We have some small pastures here close to home where we run old cows/calves without a bull. Wean the calves, fatten up the cows a little and sell them as canners. We've been hauling them feed for the last 45-50 days and should have pulled the calves sooner but our feed yard was a mudhole and we waited until it froze up to bring home the last 50 calves.

Anyway last week we pen the 20 or so old pairs in the 'railroad pasture' and proceed to haul them out in a stock trailer. First load ol' #710 blows by me and shakes her head doing the sideways Mexican fighting cow routine. Immediately I think sonuvabitch this old hide is gonna be trouble. Sure enough she's getting squirrelier every time we come to get another load. Last load she is the last cow on the trailer and just as I run up to slam the trailer gate she spins out of the trailer.

She's the only cow left in the pen and really wigs out. Knocks my dad down, and starts running around the pen like a race horse. I holler at dad to get the hell outta there! He was slightly stunned and kinda looked at me and I said GET THE FUUCK OUTTA THERE NOW!

Luckily crazy bitch spies the weak point in the corral and hits it at full throttle blowing right through.

Great.

She is running full out, tail in the air, head high. I'm thinking god damn it, no way we're gonna get her back in!

Light bulb came on a few seconds later and I let out a 'calf in distress call'. Somehow she heard and stopped looking back at the corral. I wasn't sure if we'd already hauled her calf home but when I looked in the trailer the calf just happened to be looking right at me standing in front of the slider gate. SWEET! Open it up and he jumps back out into the loading alley were we locked him up as bait.......

Wait a few days for the old bitch to settle down and get hungry and we lured her back into the repaired corral. No way in hell could we go into the corral with her so we load the calf first and figure if she knows her calf is in the trailer she might load up behind him.

Wrong, she gets wild again and crawls/jumps over a 6' steel panel on the alley way and back out she goes.

Sonuvabitch!

This afternoon we chained up a heavy duty panel and set it at about 8' high. Load the calf and she starts for the trailer but gets goofy again. This time she jumps up on the frozen water tank and over a 5' panel tearing it all to hell.

He agreed.

So what really went wrong last week🤔🤔🧐

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you Sam, enjoy the cow beef. No video? laugh Beef is a premium product, the buyers likely have no idea what it takes to get it to them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He agreed.

I was just getting ready to ask why you hadn't turned the crazy cow into hamburgers grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
She will load....meek as a new born lamb.

I have threatened to shoot em before........they must be able to understand.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Do you want that old Ed Bruce song again?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Make sure you use a Creedmoor and post the video.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd of shot her sorry ass the first time she blew out but.....

The local butcher shop burned down last year and the closest one is 50 miles away. It's been years since I hauled a dead critter over to them and they got chitty about it last time.

I'm not gonna butcher the old bitch myself so the fricken coyotes and eagles can eat her.

I don't know exactly what canners are going for right now but I bet she go 1200-1300 pounds. Probably $800?

Sonuvabitch!

Of course we have 2-3 froze eared decent sized coming 2 year old steers that they'd steal in the ring so we'll fatten them and get steaks with our burger....

If anyone wants to come gut and load up the bitch cow have at it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I enjoy hobbin' with the Montana boys, may your lives have that secret ingredient. . [Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Maybe 800.

Seen some go for 500.

Course.....if she gets in the trailer she gets sold.

Been lots of times I have had to say........dang....I really wanted to shoot her.......

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Great.

Light bulb came on a few seconds later and I let out a 'calf in distress call'. Somehow she heard and stopped

He agreed.

She sure sounds like hamburger on the hoof to me.

Do you guys have any processors who will still take a "farm kill"?

Everybody around here has to see it walk up the ramp, or else killed by a licensed mobile butcher.

ETA: Never mind. Already asked and answered.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 01/22/20.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, I'll pass on the stew!

Jim, for a 12 year old cow she gets around damn good!

We got to thinking that even if we did get her loaded you hate to haul her to the sales barn and then chance getting someone there hurt.

Drop her off at the butcher I guess but I'm done wasting time on her.

This will be the first time I have ever had to drop the hammer on a cow that we couldn't handle.

I've wanted to about 100 times before but....

Idaho, our local butcher would take her no problem but the outta town guys might raise a fuss.

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/22/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not a lot of profit on dead cows. Do what you have to.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Maybe you can shoot two or three coyotes off of her and make up the loss on baby calves you saved.

Good Luck. Been there. Never had to actually waste one. But there have been a couple which the mobile butcher shot in the pasture because they refused to cooperate.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Great.

Sonuvabitch!

He agreed.
That's a pretty good story. Sometime I'll tell about castrating these four or five year old Hereford bulls that were wild as deers and had horns the size of Longhorns. Good times.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Some critters are best in easy-to-handle 2 pound packages.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
At least she raised a big ass ol steer calf.

But yeah, you hate to shoot something and see it go to waste. But no way am I setup to butcher and process an entire cow. That and I have enough other chit to do as it is.

Hell of a lot better than getting someone hurt though. Dad has a nasty bruise on his arm where he hit the ground.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 3,145 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,975
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.