Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a friend who owns a Mod 70 EW, 24" and he shoots the top load from Barnes with R19/129 LRX for a tad over 3200! I doubt I could ever measure any real-time hunting difference between that and 3050fps, but I "would like to get it that fast", ha. I have Hunter, but no R19, and it is running right with it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A friend has killed several elk with the 110-grain TTSX at ranges out to 500+ yards.

thanks I was given some 110 grain tax bullets and was thinking of trying them.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
The 6.5's with the Barnes 100gr TTSX will cleanly take the largest muley buck with ease. Any one who has used this bullets understands this. So, there is no reason the 110 gr mono 270 should not work easily as well. The mono bullets perform way out of what their weight would indicate. Like wise the 270 with a 130 gr mono will take elk cleanly with a complete pass thru. I have observed this success numerous times. My 270 with it's 24" Bbl will deliver in excess of 3200fps with 59.5grs of Rel 19 & the Barnes 130gr TSX / TTSX. This is an outstanding load quoted right out of the Barnes manual.. The fast time of flight & flat trajectory on my 522 yd range has proven it's ability to hit the target with authority..

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
What primer you using behind that R19 load Uncle Hesp? I know you told me once, but I've 'slept since then", ha. And you say you still have not seen any cold weather effect on your R19 load???

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I'm using the CCI LR # 200 primer with the Rel 19...This load right out of the Barnes manual ( Max of 59.5 grs ) does not show the slightest sign of pressure & my chrono reading matches Barnes . A beautiful load for the 270 that put's it into a higher category of performance. The 24" Bbl. really makes the 270 shine.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thank you sir! I shoot basically the same thing for primers...CCI BR-2. Next time I'm by sportsmans warehouse I'll check on R19 availability! smile I like Hunter for the 110 TTSX, works swell.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/27/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Thank you sir! I shoot basically the same thing for primers...CCI BR-2. Next time I'm by sportsmans warehouse I'll check on R19 availability! smile I like Hunter for the 110 TTSX, works swell.

What are you getting for speed with hunter and the 110?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My last three .270 all had 22" barrels, and I was still getting over 3400fps! Very accurate load. Even the discontinued Federal Premium factory load with the 110 TTSX shot super good, I have no idea why they discontinued it. Try it pard, I think you will love it! smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My last three .270 all had 22" barrels, and I was still getting over 3400fps! Very accurate load. Even the discontinued Federal Premium factory load with the 110 TTSX shot super good, I have no idea why they discontinued it. Try it pard, I think you will love it! smile

Good to hear. I’ve got a 24 inch barrel on mine. It looks like 3500 FPS can be obtained with RS hunter.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I take my elk each year with a 6.5 & Barnes 120gr TSX or Hammer 121gr with complete penetration A 270 with one of the 130gr mono's is a cake walk.. Nothing magic about it. Place the bullet accurately ( guts don't count not even with a 338 mag ) & you've got your game.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Have used both 130 TSX & TTSX extensively. Used the LRX not as much maybe 40 - 50 plains game. The TTSX LRX are much more consistent than the TSX, no reason to use them. I prefer the TTSX because of the larger hole in the point but that is just because it makes me feel better, I haven’t been able to observe any difference in terminal effect.

I have a hunch that the E-Tips will produce slightly better terminal performance but they have been fussy accuracy wise. I wish Nosler would put the old Zipeedo grooves on them.

If your 270 with a 130ish mono won’t do the job you need a 375.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have killed 8 or 10 with a 270 and 110 grain TTSXs. My son killed 8 with his 270 and 130 TSXs. Every single one of his dropped where they stood. Some of mine never moved, the farthest one went was ~70 yards. That particular deer made the 70 yards with red soup lungs and 3/4 of the heart gone. I have never killed a deer with any mono in any caliber that needed a second dose, nor have I ever been able to correlate the hole in the animal to the caliber. To me all the holes look more or less the same. Calibers used on the deer ranged from .223 to 50 ML.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This mirrors what I have experienced. I spoke with a Nosler rep two weeks ago, and he said they (Nosler) supplied the bullets to Federal for their Trophy Copper rounds Federal cuts the grooves afterwards. Both Barnes and Federal rounds shoot better in my rifles than E-Tips, and maybe Mule Deer and step in and explain the difference in grooves vs non-grooves in bullet pressure, accuracy etc.? Or, maybe it varies only with individual rifles.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not MD but the grooves greatly reduce pressure due to less bearing surface and less swagging pressure. The Barnes produce even lower pressures than some comparable C&C bullets. The E-Tips and GMX will produce more pressure to the point that maximum loads need to be cut back, some times as much as a grain and a half. The respective velocities also follow suit. Not a huge difference and many shooters ignore it and get away with it.

The hollow base mono produces extreme expansion while not shedding petals. I have not tried them yet. Have some Lehighs ready to go but have not shot any game with them yet. I will have to try them on my favorite test medium, feral hogs soon. The Cutting Edge bullets have a good reputation but have yet to try them, likewise with Hammer bullets. Too many good bullets, not enough time.

I always wonder what the TSX, TTSX, & LRX would do if Barnes used their old blue coating on them? I only shot a couple boxes of the Blue Meanies but they seemed to live up to their claims, more velocity and less fouling.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
The old XLC worked, and they could be pushed fast. When the TSX came out, we ended up using a lot of XLC data for them. They seemed to get identical speeds and pressure . The original X? Great IF you could find a load your rifle shot well, and you bought a bottle of CR-10 with them, ha. After "fighting" them for years, the XBT was a relief ( again, less bearing surface) and the XLC was sweet! But the TSX ( and later TTSX) all seem to respond well to being crimped ( preferably via FCD) in all my loads. Now, I have no idea how this may affect LR ( past 400yds) accuracy, but up to there, perfect. smile The old FailSafe was a good one too, a bit tough in my experience on lighter game, but on heavy muscle/thick hides, sweet! I still find this true ( for me) with monos on lighter game, I will try to take out some bone.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/03/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
130 TTSXs...Pre-64 Model 70 FWT
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RinB

Have used both 130 TSX & TTSX extensively. Used the LRX not as much maybe 40 - 50 plains game. The TTSX LRX are much more consistent than the TSX, no reason to use them. I prefer the TTSX because of the larger hole in the point but that is just because it makes me feel better, I haven’t been able to observe any difference in terminal effect.

I have a hunch that the E-Tips will produce slightly better terminal performance but they have been fussy accuracy wise. I wish Nosler would put the old Zipeedo grooves on them.

If your 270 with a 130ish mono won’t do the job you need a 375.

What a great post. With your experience we all need to pay attention. I have a wilderness elk hunt scheduled for this fall and I’m taking my .270 Win because it’s light and accurate. I have good loads for it with 130 grn TTSX and 140 grn TSX. My question for you is when you say you’ve found the TTSX more consistent, did you mean accuracy or terminal performance?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I made the commitment today; bought 2# of R19 and 2 boxes of Barnes 129 LRX to try out. May be a couple week s or more before I get back to the range, we're getting dumped on a bit...winter storms are back, smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
61.0 grains of RL26 in WW cases makes the 129 LRX sing in my M70. Ive been using the 110TTSX last couple years for deer but am going to move over to the LRX this upcoming season.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I made the commitment today; bought 2# of R19 and 2 boxes of Barnes 129 LRX to try out. May be a couple week s or more before I get back to the range, we're getting dumped on a bit...winter storms are back, smile

If your the type that likes to try multiple powders then also get some R23 & R26. I don't have any experience with R19 I passed it over due to rumors of it being highly variable both lot to lot and temperature wise. R22 has the same rumors associated with it and I have been pleased with it, rumors and facts be damned. But R23 is in the same or better velocity league and is equal to the best extreme powders as far as temperature indifference. For slightly more velocity disregarding hot temperature pressure spikes R26 is the champ.

The fall back is always H4831 and with it you can get close to 3,200 fps but anything over 3,000 will do. JOC's 60 grains of 4831 is a classic. He used Milsurp and then Hodgedon but kept on with the same load as far as I know.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.