Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Over the past few days I have had some discussions with a long time shooting friend regarding carbon barreled rifles. He wants one! I have never owned one myself. Through his research he is seriously contemplating three. He is not interested in waiting months for some type of custom build at a higher price point. I told him that I would begin a thread on this subject and then relay to him any preferential results from among any who wish to comment. Any comments are appreciated.......

So here are the three he is seriously contemplating in no particular preferential order.

Weatherby Mk5 Carbonmark,,,,,,,Christensen Arms Traverse,,,,,,Fierce Carbon Fury.

Please list your order of preference and why; breaking down all the nuts and bolts of the actions, triggers, stocks, brakes, carbon barrel differences, bedding etc and etc. Interestingly from what I gather, these three rifles are somewhat reasonably close to one another as to price giving or taking maybe $300 in either direction.

Since I own an Accumark, I am partial to the 54 degree bolt lift and the 9 lug MK5 action as well as the aesthetics. As such and amongst these three, my experience is only with the Weatherby action, trigger etc but no experience with carbon wrapped barrels. It is my understanding that carbon wrapped barrels dissipate (???) barrel heat better keeping the barrels cooler so that tighter groups can be maintained with better consistencies. Also carbon barrels can take more punishment and abuse in the field?

Feel free gents.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm interested in a CF rifle as well so this will be interesting. I know it's a "Savage" but have you seen the new 110 Ultralite that comes with the Proof Research barrel? Might be another option to add to your list. I've heard lots of bad things about the Christensen Arms CF barrels. Now, I own a CA bolt action and it's awesome but mine is standard stainless barrel not CF. I've heard their CF barrel wrap retains heat rather than sheds it and thus the barrels burn up easily. Someone up here burned one up very very quickly on an CA MPR rifle and tried to get them to warranty it. They basically said he was using it in competition and their CF wrapped barrels aren't meant to shoot more than 1 round every 5 minutes or something ridiculous. For a hunting rifle it may not be an issue, I don't know. It's unfortunate as I like the CA rifles and their ridgeline was on my wishlist until I saw some reviews.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He might also take a look at the Proof Research Elevation rifle. Not sure on the price of some you mentioned so not sure if the Proof is in the budget?? Nice rifle though IMHO.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There was a post on here a week or two ago about a company in Oregon that would carbon wrap your barrel,thread it install it and put a brake on it for like $600. It got me thinking!

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by russm86
I'm interested in a CF rifle as well so this will be interesting. I know it's a "Savage" but have you seen the new 110 Ultralite that comes with the Proof Research barrel? Might be another option to add to your list. I've heard lots of bad things about the Christensen Arms CF barrels. Now, I own a CA bolt action and it's awesome but mine is standard stainless barrel not CF. I've heard their CF barrel wrap retains heat rather than sheds it and thus the barrels burn up easily. Someone up here burned one up very very quickly on an CA MPR rifle and tried to get them to warranty it. They basically said he was using it in competition and their CF wrapped barrels aren't meant to shoot more than 1 round every 5 minutes or something ridiculous. For a hunting rifle it may not be an issue, I don't know. It's unfortunate as I like the CA rifles and their ridgeline was on my wishlist until I saw some reviews.
...................Thank u for the comments.......Yeah! I went over to the Savage site and took a peek at that 110 Ultralite for $1499. Called my buddy tonite and told him to do the same.

I was not aware of any premature burning up of the Christensen Arms carbon barrels. That is interesting if true. Imo, no point in getting a carbon wrapped barrel if it is going to retain more heat than it dissipates. That is one of the main points in owning a carbon barrel in the first place. Christensen I think, but not sure, makes their own carbon barrels? I know that Weatherby contracts out to Proof Research for their Carbonmark barrels. I will need to do some research to see who makes the Fierce carbon barrels for Fierce; in house or otherwise. I will look on their site.

Yep! The 110 Ultralite is a Savage. And it is certainly not as good looking as the three I mentioned in my original post. But, it is considerably cheaper!!............

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
He might also take a look at the Proof Research Elevation rifle. Not sure on the price of some you mentioned so not sure if the Proof is in the budget?? Nice rifle though IMHO.
....................Thanks.... I did go to the site.....MORE $$$ than he wants to spend....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't offer an opinion on the others, but you couldn't give me a Christensen. I've seen two of them in the last month that had barrels that wouldn't shoot in a gallon bucket. After slugging those barrels it was easy to see why. Tight at the breech, loose for 18 inches in the middle and tight for a inch at the muzzle. I marked the rod and the transitions from tight to loose back to tight was right where they turned the barrel to wrap the carbon. Terrible barrels. Christensen's response was that their gunsmiths opinion was that that was not a cause for poor accuracy and that the shooter needed to improve.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BangPop
I can't offer an opinion on the others, but you couldn't give me a Christensen. I've seen two of them in the last month that had barrels that wouldn't shoot in a gallon bucket. After slugging those barrels it was easy to see why. Tight at the breech, loose for 18 inches in the middle and tight for a inch at the muzzle. I marked the rod and the transitions from tight to loose back to tight was right where they turned the barrel to wrap the carbon. Terrible barrels. Christensen's response was that their gunsmiths opinion was that that was not a cause for poor accuracy and that the shooter needed to improve.
.................Thanks....Good to know...That is why I started this thread, to get the good and the bad on each one if possible.

I'll wait to see if any negatives pop up on the Weatherby Carbonmark and the Fierce Carbon Fury.

Based on what you say, it appears that Christensen makes their own carbon barrels in house.......

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Looks like Howa is going to be an option also this year.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BangPop

I’ve had just the opposite experience. I have owned or loaded for 3 Christensen rifles. All in 300 RUM. Two classics and one Ridgeline. All 3 of them were easy to load for, and accuracy was excellent. One is shooting 200gr accubonds, one is shooting 210gr Berger’s, and the 3rd is shooting 180gr Barnes TTSX, all under 3/4” at 100, right at an inch at 200. We’re all extremely happy with ours, and would buy another without question. I can’t speak to the others, as I’ve never owned or shot them.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a Ridgeline in 300WSM, it’s an accurate rifle - especially with Hornady Precision Hunter loads.

Hunting partner has a Ridgeline in 28 Nosler - also a solid shooter.

We’re shooting 50-100 rounds a year through them they’re hunting rifle rifles, and not range rifles.

For weight, I can’t beat the Ridgeline as an all day carry.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have a Ridgeline. I will post a review after next season.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I know a lot of people that own Christensen arms rifles and I have never heard a single complaint. There are just tons of people in my area that have the ridgelines , they all shoot great and hold up well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Have him get in touch with Evolved Ballistics in TX and see what Proof Carbon Fiber barrels they have in stock. I have purchased 2 from them and both have been in stock in the configuration I wanted.

www.evolvedballistics.com

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 01/24/20.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Proof offers prefits ready to go for a ton of platforms.

Look around a little and he could put something together without a wait longer than UPS.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The new Chistensens are much better than the old ones. They used to turn down and wrap Remington factory barrels on their cheaper rifles. Now they are button rifling their own blanks and lapping them. I hope they also them after they turn them down to wrap but I don't know.

My 28 nosler ELR has shot some incredible groups but seems to foul quick with RL 33. I need to get it out this spring and try some H1000. I still haven't shot my 280ai ridgeline but the friend I got it from showed me some 1/2 moa groups he shot with it.

Bb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't know anything about them...but I just saw Kimber revealed a carbon barreled mountain rifle at the SHOT show.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
In reading some of the above comments, it looks like Howa and Kimber are getting into the carbon barreled biz? More options for my friend other than the original three I posted. Good! Now he will become more confused with MORE options...LOL

Savage too as well with their new carbon Ultralite 110...Not the greatest looking rifle but they will probably shoot lights out accurate.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Have him get in touch with Evolved Ballistics in TX and see what Proof Carbon Fiber barrels they have in stock. I have purchased 2 from them and both have been in stock in the configuration I wanted.

www.evolvedballistics.com

I second that. The guys at EB are great. I have done a few projects using Proof barrels through them. All have been shooters.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have no reservation about CA ridgelines. All I know of are sub MOA.

Fierce carbon fury in 300wsm is a tack driver. Don't hesitate on that one.

Single experience may not reflect widespread quality.

Have never known a killer to burn up a carbon barrel, but I suppose it is possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.