Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pdman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
HEY Y'ALL...Here is the muzzle of #2979...it is NOT mine...highest serial # i have seen to date...it sure seems that it is a crapshoot if you lay down your $$$ for one of these first release pythons....caveat emptor...pete
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Colt is fixing those as fast as they come in...quickly. But you're right. Waiting a little till the dust settles is probably best (and cheaper). I'll be getting a 4.25" later, towards the end of the year. Supposedly the problems with the crown have to do with the fixture holding the revolver while it's being polished. That has been addressed in this next batch. Haven't heard yet what Colt's fix is for the cycling issue. Best place to read about the Python and its teething problems is the Colt forum. The thread there is approaching 200 pages.
Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice crown.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, the new Python is being manufactured for Colt by Charter Arms. I guess 1400 dollars doesn't go as far as it used to.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the point of a collector, regardless of condition, a low serial number revolver is worth it... You can sort out the flaws later.
Once you're into the 4 digits, it no longer makes any sense at all. My personal policy for defense handguns is, they have to be in service for a minimum of 5 years before I'll carry one...that's just me and most don't agree with me on that.

A revolver is quite another thing though. I don't consider revolvers defensive guns anymore, so for me it's a pure sporting gun. Therefore, I'm willing to take a little more risk, but in the case of the new Python, I personally will be quite happy to wait a year while all the eager beavers beta test them for me.

For those bashing Colt, might I remind you of S&W's first attempt at the L frame...And it was just a SLIGHTLY up-sized K frame with most parts being interchangeable.

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I don't consider revolvers defensive guns anymore...

Glad I didn't know that when I worked Narcotics. I just don't feel safe anymore when I go to Denny's now.
Bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Well, the new Python is being manufactured for Colt by Charter Arms. I guess 1400 dollars doesn't go as far as it used to.

made by Charter Arms? I didn't know that

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by blairvt

It's a joke.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For whatever it's worth, the Colt rep at Shot Show is making videos, saying it's all good. No problems. Just a few guns. Nothing to worry about.

But, as he's saying it's all good (or that it's the ammo's fault), another guy at shot show experiences a problem after 7 shots with the demo Python--the cylinder won't rotate:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/20/shot-2020-tfb-industry-day-at-the-range-colt-python/

I'm not trying to bash Colt, but I think there's a problem they need to address.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Waiting for that dust to settle myself.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I find it interesting how Mark Keefe bashed the old Python by comparing it to the new and the VP just smiled. The VP looks old enough to have been around when the older Pythons were still being made and probably touted the amazing traits of that gun back then like there wasn't anything wrong.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Waders
For whatever it's worth, the Colt rep at Shot Show is making videos, saying it's all good. No problems. Just a few guns. Nothing to worry about.

But, as he's saying it's all good (or that it's the ammo's fault), another guy at shot show experiences a problem after 7 shots with the demo Python--the cylinder won't rotate:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/20/shot-2020-tfb-industry-day-at-the-range-colt-python/

I'm not trying to bash Colt, but I think there's a problem they need to address.

Yeah, if their approach is to deny it's a problem, that's going to be a problem.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by papat
Waiting for that dust to settle myself.

Yep.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It's a joke.

No joke, that revolver is made for Colt by Charter Arms. Check it out.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

He doesnt know it either. He's just talking out his ass.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by moosemike

He doesnt know it either. He's just talking out his ass.

Nope, just stating a fact.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Let's see a citation for that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It's a joke.

oh. Wouldn't really have surprised me though

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
150 rounds through mine without any issues. Guess I got a good one!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dinny
I find it interesting how Mark Keefe bashed the old Python by comparing it to the new and the VP just smiled. The VP looks old enough to have been around when the older Pythons were still being made and probably touted the amazing traits of that gun back then like there wasn't anything wrong.

Thanks, Dinny

That 'peter leech' keefe is a paid shill, anyone trashing an old Python, especially in front of someone that currently draws his pay from Colt both need kicked in the balls, I had a 4" blue back in the day, one of those never should have sold it deals, I miss it.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
471 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 45 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.