Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I see the board is heating up regarding hunts planned for the fall. Even though hunting season is 9 months away, tag application time is approaching.

What are your plans for elk and/or mule deer hunts this year?

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wyoming elk here if the draw is kind to my party! Can't wait, was just thinking about the prep work for this years hunt!

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
OTC 3rd season in CO if I don’t draw a deer tag. Word on the street is that they’re going to change the season to a later shorter season which would be awesome but we’ll see what happens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Applying for AZ and WY. Neither is a sure thing but hoping to get a tag somewhere. Possibly otc CO if we have bad luck in the draw

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
OTC 3rd season in CO if I don’t draw a deer tag. Word on the street is that they’re going to change the season to a later shorter season which would be awesome but we’ll see what happens.

The official dates are posted and 3rd season has changed

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Collect another point in Wyoming, at max. Apply Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington again, probably strike out and hunt Roosevelt’s with the musket in Washington like usual. Got a pile of points in Montana so hopefully I’m due. Love/hate this time of year!! 🤣🤣

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
OTC Idaho tag because I’m incapable of drawing anything.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy another point in Wyoming, and put in for Oregon but slim chance of drawing so will likely hunt the elusive spike only during the 2nd season - kinda like hunting unicorns but hey its hunting grin

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't put in for Alaska elk this year so unless New Mexico or Idaho's second draw give me something good, I'll probably only hunt Wyoming. Probably a general tag but one year they may give me a decent tag here. If I tag out early I may buy an Idaho OTC tag somewhere since their 2nd draw may as well be the moon.

Depending on my mood, I may also apply for the Montana big game combo instead of just the deer combo, like I normally do. We'll see.

I quit playing the points game with Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizona. Way too much other opportunity around to mess with those systems and buy licenses and points every year.

Last edited by T_Inman; 01/24/20.

W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I usually hunt Washington and keep putting in for quality bull hunts, which I haven’t drawn in 18 years. I’ll probably go back to NW Colorado on an OTC tag on the private land that I have access to and hope for a mediocre bull. Maybe get lucky and draw a deer tag, too. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
As usual early elk & second season deer. Also late season private property cow elk.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I may put in for my usual any elk tag.. But doubt I put in for a cow tag.. Hunted about 3 mornings and an afternoon or two .. Season opens Oct. 1 and closes Jan. 31... So it will close with out me getting a chance to hunt again.. Good luck to all who really are up for hunting elk.. Maybe the interest will come back as time to apply comes along..

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Likely just Wyoming for me this year, both bull and cow. Maybe I’ll get a limited draw unit!

Going to spend some time antelope hunting too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Colorado as per usual I will apply for a doe tag in the same unit as always and see how that works out Probably OTC for a west slope elk tag as per usual INot much changes for me

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Will apply for AZ tag, looking into OTC Idaho or Colorado as backup plans....hate living in Iowa and having this passion.

LMBH
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Late season private property cow elk. Building points back up in MT & WY.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hoping I draw in Wyoming.
One app for a 2nd chance cow tag
One app for a private property late season tag.

Either way, at least I'll get another pref pt to keep up with the creep.... haha

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Back on track for my 2019 Private Land cancelled cow elk hunt, but in late September. I'll put in for some antlerless antelope/mule deer tags later. I like to draw for the Private Land hunts for these, very few people on the places, quieter, less chance of being "scoped out" by a Public Land tag owner.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I would be happy to find an honest outfitter for cow elk in southeastern Colorado or northeaster New Mexico.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Old son and I are already planning on a trip to the family ranch in Colorado. I am running seriously low on steaks and ran outta pan sausage last week!!! . And being an elkaholic, I need my fix!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.