Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by 65BR
I click an ad........ 36 ounces? I guess these are recoil reducing scopes......

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/b...ign=2020_01_06_mpo&utm_content=promo

this is actually pretty funny, oh there is a market for it, a big one actually. We also see companies trying to one up each other, you know bigger is better right? 40mm scope tubes. basically the seal team 6 wanna bees, who shoot 20# rifles off fake barricades. Incidentally my personality is like oil and water to those types. we will probably get a couple rolling in on this thread. Go over to snipers hide for a true fill of them. These were the guys who grew up watching way too much call of duty.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is there serious coin to be made running in the top 20 in the country shooting PRS? If a good shooter that can handle pressure, run turrets coupled with shooting his windshield and make good wind calls, could probably do well.

Throw-in a shît ton of practice and a decent shooting rig if the dollars were there. I could see dudes or dudettes getting serious about aspiring to become a player in this shooting sport.

To answer CC directly, Ford, Ferrari and others involved in the racing industry proved their development of products to win races translated to better products for regular drivers like soccer moms. That doesn’t mean running 50’s tires is the best way to fly for most, but if your SS Impala looks good with them, go for it. It’s Merica. Run what you want. 😎

I'll go grab my Big 50 Sharps with tang sight and let him give me some lessons! grin

Trump Won!
GB1

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m with Beav. Who cares what folks in the hunting or competition communities run? Let them be happy with whatever cranks their tractor. It’s the ‘Murican way! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You’re the one who should be giving lessons on shooting LR. Open sights at 500 plus yards has gotta be a challenge. 😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You’re the one who should be giving lessons on shooting LR. Open sights at 500 plus yards has gotta be a challenge. 😬😎

LOL, five in 2x3-3/4ths inch at 400 and five into 5x6-1/2 inches at 500 with open sights and naked eye is more fun than a man should be allowed to have, I DAMN near got MOA with that Big 50 Sharps and 705gr paper patch bullets powered by black powder! smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500

LOL, five in 2x3-3/4ths inch at 400 and five into 5x6-1/2 inches at 500 with open sights and naked eye is more fun than a man should be allowed to have, I DAMN near got MOA with that Big 50 Sharps and 705gr paper patch bullets powered by black powder! smile

Buddy, that is some impressive darned shooting!

I remember as a young kid on the firing line in Parris Island wondering if the darned 5.56 green tip would ever make it to the 500 meter line let alone hit the "E" targets on the line. To my surprise that old M16A2 did a right good job.

Doing that sorta shooting with that big 50 of your's is darned cool. I wouldn't wanna stand out there and try to catch them softballs coming downrange!

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nature abhors a vacuum and if there is a market niche that isn't being adequately serviced, someone will come along and fill it. Likewise, if there is a market niche that is saturated with product, smart manufacturers will find, or even attempt to create, new market niches or sub-niches in which to push their products.

I grew up in a home where most of the user rifles were put together for shooting woodchucks and in those days the scopes made for that kind of shooting were externally adjusted Lymans and Unetles. The dozen of so hunting rifles in the house were mounted with Lyman, Redfields, Unertls, Weavers, and Zeiss internally adjusted scopes.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LMAO, damn right those little green hornets will make 500, glad you enjoyed the pics big Buddy, hope you sent em to Joel, I sent em to Beaver, I really like the challenge of shooting irons with Sharps, another reason when I read here that 12X may not be enough glass for a deer, pig or coyote at 700 yards near caused me to fall off this chair! ; ] and hell no, the momentum of a big Sharps rifle bullet falling out of the sky will punch clean through a buffalo, I don't want one either LOL.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

Buddy, that is some impressive darned shooting!

I remember as a young kid on the firing line in Parris Island wondering if the darned 5.56 green tip would ever make it to the 500 meter line let alone hit the "E" targets on the line. To my surprise that old M16A2 did a right good job.

Doing that sorta shooting with that big 50 of your's is darned cool. I wouldn't wanna stand out there and try to catch them softballs coming downrange!

Catching softballs sounds exactly right. Sheesh!

Gunner, what’s the recoil like from your 50 Sharps?

😎

“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, no recoil to speak of Beav, it's a 32" 16lb bull barrel rifle, the trick of resting a rifle in your hand with the back of said hand on a rest, then shouldering the rifle [no rear bag] slumped over a tall table and breaking a good trigger while 'controlling' the massive torque a 705gr 50 cal bullet imparts to a rifle when it slams into the rifling is the challenge, never mind mathing the wind on a bullet that after it leaves the muzzle and travels 500 yards was more than 30 feet high in the air during it's trip to the steel. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

this is actually pretty funny, oh there is a market for it, a big one actually. We also see companies trying to one up each other, you know bigger is better right? 40mm scope tubes. basically the seal team 6 wanna bees, who shoot 20# rifles off fake barricades. Incidentally my personality is like oil and water to those types. we will probably get a couple rolling in on this thread. Go over to snipers hide for a true fill of them. These were the guys who grew up watching way too much call of duty.

Can you please post the video of your scope "jig" again....that was [bleep] epic

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL, no recoil to speak of Beav, it's a 32" 16lb bull barrel rifle, the trick of resting a rifle in your hand with the back of said hand on a rest, then shouldering the rifle [no rear bag] slumped over a tall table and breaking a good trigger while 'controlling' the massive torque a 705gr 50 cal bullet imparts to a rifle when it slams into the rifling is the challenge, never mind mathing the wind on a bullet that after it leaves the muzzle and travels 500 yards was more than 30 feet high in the air during it's trip to the steel. grin

Nut’n to it then...Hoist the pig into position and hold it like a baby duckling all gentile or gentle like. Huck some chew spit for a good wind call, holder steady, and release the duckling. Got it! SMH 🤦🏼‍♀️ Lmao! 🤣😎

“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You keep outdoing youself...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Nut’n to it then...Hoist the pig into position and hold it like a baby duckling all gentile or gentle like. Huck some chew spit for a good wind call, holder steady, and release the duckling. Got it! SMH 🤦🏼‍♀️ Lmao! 🤣😎

All I know is it sounds fun!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WAM
I’m with Beav. Who cares what folks in the hunting or competition communities run? Let them be happy with whatever cranks their tractor. It’s the ‘Murican way! Happy Trails

Completely agree. Who cares what target shooters want in a scope? Plenty of great options out there for hunting scopes.

Maybe I shouldn't mention it, but I own hunting scopes AND target scopes. Last time I checked I was allowed to buy both types of optics. Doesn't have to be an "us vs them" mentality. If you have two shooters, one who loves a trim 6X for walking afield and another who loves a 25X target scope with all the bells and whistles, those two shooters have far more in common with each other than they would with one of these people who want to ban all the guns.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
65BR: Not me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good comments, shows the true power of advertising! LOL.

Well, I got a chuckle out of many, and respect for Irons, made a few lucky shots in my life...much more often when I was younger....but just a couple of weeks ago surprised myself dropping a tree squirrel which stopped in an opening, at well over 100 paces....open sights. Glass will spoil you.

JB, I can see the business aspect, as yes the trends in consumers, hunters and competition shooters, they do differ in needs and willing budgets.

Re: spotting shots, I never thought much about it, that if the rifle was heavy enough, one can self-spot with high zoom scopes with small FOV....using cartridges often used in competition.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][/URL]

Grown fond of this combo. 30 ounce scope on a #2 contoured 6.5-284. For what I do, it works quite nicely.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 30338
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][/URL]

Grown fond of this combo. 30 ounce scope on a #2 contoured 6.5-284. For what I do, it works quite nicely.

I’d be okay with that rifle myself. A lot of capability and not much weight penalty

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

All I know is it sounds fun!

LMAO! Beav, 'cope' in the wind for gauging has been around since 1822! grin damn right it is Big Buddy Beretzs, wait till you guys get a Sharps to Africa and slay some game, your PH will hate it, he cant see chit for the smoke, that's okay though, they don't go far ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My present scope only has a 50mm objective. My next one will have a 52mm objective, Lord willing. I like to see the impact so I use a brake. With the scope on 20 X I can see the impact at 100 yards

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.