Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14496991 01/23/20
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Have any of you horse guys tried feeding it? I bought some for my llamas this fall and they love the stuff. They eat it more readily than most grass hays. I've read that it's getting very popular with horse people all over they country and I thought I'd give it a try. It's an annual but that helps keep the weeds out. It's hard to find around here, though. A farmer near me who has a dozen horses planted some this summer to see how they liked it and he's happy with it. I got mine from him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Never heard of it. Googling it,it says it is a warm weather forage .Probably why we haven't had any around here in Colorado

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/23/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It seems to grow pretty well here. It requires warm soil and a very shallow planting depth. I read that you can get 3 cuttings if your season allows enough time before the 1st frost. It can't take any frost at all.

― George Orwell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Never heard of it. Googling it,it says it is a warm weather forage .Probably why we haven't had any around here in Colorado

Same

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Southern Idaho is kind of a banana belt in the NW. We have fairly long growing seasons and usually don't get a serious frost until late Sept. Many years we can get 4 cuttings of alfalfa. I'd guess that AK and CO are too cold for it to grow well, or at all.

― George Orwell

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Southern Idaho is kind of a banana belt in the NW. We have fairly long growing seasons and usually don't get a serious frost until late Sept. Many years we can get 4 cuttings of alfalfa. I'd guess that AK and CO are too cold for it to grow well, or at all.

It would probably do okay in SE Colorado, but unless it is irrigated, it might not survive. Eastern Colorado beef growers usually plant Hay Grazer or one of the other sorghum type forages. Only one cutting, but in a good year with moisture, it will get -67 feet tall.

Several years ago Chaff hay was suppose to be the big up and coming thing. Supposedly to take the place of weed free certified hay , but in a bag. It was hay that they let semi ferment and then infuse with some kind of gas to stop it. It looked like tobacco and smelled about the same.Our mules took one whiff of it and said where the hell is the good stuff.Would not touch it

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/26/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
After feeding a ton of Teff to my llamas, I think it's pretty good stuff but I don't know how many farmers will bother with an annual. Plowing it down every year does help keep the weeds down, though.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Teff is of African origin. It does not stand being frozen. It is very popular with metabolic problems both real and imagined in the pet horse industry.

It's nice grass hay IMO. Fed a bunch of it and tried to plant it...........it froze out.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I live in the Twin Falls area and the seasons here are long enough for it. It should do well in the Boise valley...if you can find land without pavement to grow it on. When I bought some last fall, the prices were the same as most other grass hays.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Same

Same here too

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.