Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like him because he was a Senior Drill Sergeant (E-7) in the Army in 1969. He holds his cards close to his chest concerning his six years in the Army.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like him too.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like his humor, folk take life too seriously these days

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd consider it an honor to share a campfire and sundowner or two with him.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've been reading him for years. He's one of the few draws Field and Stream has now days. It has its share of tree huggers. I also loved Warren Page. I used to be into amateur bench rest shooting years back and he was a very knowledgeable resource. Back then Field and Stream was a great gun rag. But they have so many left handers there now that can piss me off. Petzal is Petzal. He goes by his own rules and doesn't seem to push any agendas.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I truly enjoy his writing and dry wit. Someone I’d pay to meet in person. His writing convinced me I needed to own a Savage 99.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
He turned me off for good when his so called dry wit slandered the Vice President of the United States.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I've never paid much attention to Field and Stream, so I wasn't familiar with Mr. Petzal. This thread piqued my curiosity, so a quick Google search later I found this most recent article on how to clean a rifle. https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/how-to-clean-a-rifle/

I have to admit I was chuckling out loud before I finished. I'm going to be reading a lot more from Mr. Petzal in the future.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Started reading his cleaning a rifle, lost me when I saw Hoppes and copper brushes.

He's still living in the 80's.

no thanks

Last edited by SU35; 01/22/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
I guess I've never paid much attention to Field and Stream, so I wasn't familiar with Mr. Petzal. This thread piqued my curiosity, so a quick Google search later I found this most recent article on how to clean a rifle. https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/how-to-clean-a-rifle/

I have to admit I was chuckling out loud before I finished. I'm going to be reading a lot more from Mr. Petzal in the future.

I like his attitude toward the process. If anyone doubts that he has a sense of humor, please note that he references the always hilarious "white or nearly white patch". To show that he is has a grip on reality, he does make the qualifier "nearly white".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
He is about the best thing in F&S.
Cracks me up.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by SU35
Started reading his cleaning a rifle, lost me when I saw Hoppes and copper brushes.

no thanks

Read the article, you're passing judgement without solid facts. I don't agree with everything he says even in this article, mainly JB's paste being to hard to use in a sub .25, but he tells you his reason for his beliefs and methods. He also states that there is more than one method that will work and gives you a chuckle while doing it.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My Brother in Law worked for Field and Stream at one time. He told me Petzal was kind of an ass and was pretty eccentric.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
He obviously has the attention of most of the people here, but hasn't said a word.

That makes him powerful, right sensei?

Yes, and he makes dynamite, melt in your mouth, sugar cookies. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

no thanks

You need to read the article. The only Hoppes he mentions Benchrest Copper Bore Cleaner. Not an 80s product from my memory anyway.

I agree with him on nylon brushes. Copper is much better.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BWalker
My Brother in Law worked for Field and Stream at one time. He told me Petzal was kind of an ass and was pretty eccentric.

Isn't that profile a prerequisite to becoming a gun writer...?? blush

Ask Col. Askins if it didn't sell copy for him... wink

Gotta do what you gotta do to become a stand out, a character of sorts.

It must work, 'cause here we are talking about him... wink

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like his dry humor and his writing. I don't always agree with this opinion, but that's everyone..... He has probably forgotten more about rifles than I will ever know.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I grew up reading Field and Stream and was put off by him at first. Through the years I’ve grown to like his writing and dislike of M70’s in a Stockholm-syndrome sort of way. If you can’t appreciate good writing and humor because someone likes a different brand rifle, knife, etc than you...you have bigger problems.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He turned me off for good when his so called dry wit slandered the Vice President of the United States.

I respect the office of Vice-President as much as anybody, but I'm sure whatever Petzal said about Joe Biden, Joe Biden deserved it!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.