Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
MKB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello Fellas. I joined 24HCF specifically to ask this question so I am hoping folks with more knowledge then me can help me out. I am not ignorant to drillings but I have limited knowledge. I spent 3 years in Germany and did get my hunting lic. Made very good friends with a state forestmaster and hunted alot when I was not deployed to Bosnia. I had many drillings in my hands. Unfortunetly, due to foolishness, limited funds and a somewhat uncooperative X, I failed to bring home a drilling. (did manage to secure a fantastic Blaser single barrel and a Sauer 202 bolt). I have now corrected the funding and the X sadly corrected herself. I figure 2 out of three is not bad so I am going to attempt 25 years later to get a drilling I have always dreamed of. I am currently looking at the Krieghoff and the Sauer. Both are available in what appears to be similar age, condition and money. I am going to hunt some with the gun. Which is the better choice in your opinions? Thank you greatly.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a JP Sauer from the 1960's that is a dream to shoot and is very accurate. I also have a older 1926 drilling that is great but it has only the retailers name on it and I've never pursued finding out who built it. It looks like Krieghoff will command a higher price for equal quality, just for their name. If you can handle them I'd take the one that feels best in your hands.

I was at the Franconia store in Nuremburg and they had some beautiful drillings in very desirable caliber for insanely low prices, being a tourist I had no idea how I could get it home. I did pick up some accoutrements, slings, muzzle covers, and dog leads(schutzen)

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the Kreighoff has the safety on the tang and not on the side (Greener side safety) I'd buy the Kreighoff, hands down. While I love my various Sauers, the Kreighoff is a much stronger gun and can accept higher pressure insert barrel calibers. For instance a 7X65R drilling could have a full length einstecklauf added to make it a double rifle drilling where that might be an advantage. You could also make it a bock drilling type gun with the shot barrel, the HP rifle barrel, and a 22 hornet or similar in the other shot barrel.

The Sauers aren't sufficiently strong for a second barrel insert like the 7X65R or similar, but they will stand up fine to a 22 hornet or similar round. The Fortuna drilling I have, built on a Merkel/Simson receiver, is stout enough to take the HP round insert. The gun weighs more; that's the trade off.

Fortuna 16 ga 2 3/4" and 7X57R with Greener side safety
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sauer 16 ga 2 3/4" and 6.5X57R with the lighter slimmer Sauer type receiver

Kreighoff Trumpf has stout receiver, top tang rifle cocker/de-cocker, and safety to the left on top next to the cocker

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
MKB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Just as a test to my learning curve......what do you all think of this GB Listing 838097139. Merkel Suhn Drilling 12ga 30-06 22 Mag Insert
Rifle w/ Khales Helia 8x Claw Mount Scope

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not a bad buy at the starting price, being a more modern 12ga and '06. The scope is the bugaboo. It's a big heavy 8 power and no doubt has a 3-post reticle. It would be a project to replace. The wood is a little suspect. It looks porous behind the receiver in the left cheek.

The Kreighoff einstecklauf is a good one, and it's probably regulated already, as well as the fact it's installed. These aren't a walk in the park to properly install and regulate.

If the scope isn't a big issue, I think it's one of the few drillings on GB or GI that's worth the money. Bear in mind it is an earlier type post war gun with a Greener safety, and probably tips the scale at 10 pounds.

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/06/19.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Personally, find that 16 ga barrels on the top make for a much nicer handling drilling, there is very little that 12ga can do that a 16ga can do as well if not better just do to the weight and handling of the drilling. As far as the rifle barrel for my first one I'd look for something in a rimmed cartridge, break open rifles and rimmed cartridges are made for each other. There is a good selection of very capable rimmed cartridges available at reasonable prices from S&B and PPV. 6.5x57R, 7x57R, 7x65R, 8x57, 9.3x72R and for a biggy the 9.3x74R(375 H&H class) There are a number of oddballs from Europe while great cartridge they can be a little harder to feed. I have a svelte little drilling in 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer that brass is hard to come by and the groove diameter is halfway between .257 and .264 that I have to swage .264's down to .260. It is very accurate and is a pleasure to hunt with.

My 16ga/16ga/7x57R Sauer drilling with the original 6x48mm scope in claw mounts. It would be a great rig for shooting from a box blind and pop the scope off to hunt on the way back to the truck.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I made a set of claw mount rings to mount a low power scope that fits my style of hunting much better(still hunting in the forests). Now it is a fast handling weapon, much like a DGR with fast target acquisition.

My coyote hunting drilling again with a low mounted low power scope, it came with a Hensoldt 4x36m in high claw rings. 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer

Last edited by erich; 11/06/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
M
MKB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you erich. You have caused me to give consideration to the possibility that the 16 maybe more of an advantage then the 12. I have several "long barrel" magnum Weatherby rifles that shoot like lasers from a rest but nothing downs game as well or acts as an extention of mybody then my two shortest rifles. My Blaser (308) and HS Precision (300WSM), both 20", never miss, even when I do a kabookie dance in a climber 30 feet in the air to get a shot. Im thinking 16 may indeed be the way to go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spot on, erich. I've never felt under gunned with my post war 16 gauge guns. I don't drag a drilling through the wet and mud of a duck blind, and that's the only place they might be at a real world disadvantage.

I'll always be envious of that sweet handling little 6.5X58R drilling of yours. There is also the satisfaction you must feel in tailoring special ammo for it. I also envy anyone with the patience and talent to carve out a set of claw rings. It sure trimmed down the 7X57R drilling and made it a far better out-west hunting gun...more mobile.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I have never been a fan of the Krieghoff thumb activated Seperatekugelspannung (separate rifle barrel cocking device) . All my drillings use the now obsolete system involving a lever on the bottom of the action, leaving the tang free for the safety. This photo of my Krieghoff Neptun drilling illustrates what I am talking about.

[Linked Image from i1231.photobucket.com]

If you look long and hard enough, you may be able to find one on a Trumpf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xausa
I have never been a fan of the Krieghoff thumb activated Seperatekugelspannung (separate rifle barrel cocking device) . All my drillings use the now obsolete system involving a lever on the bottom of the action, leaving the tang free for the safety. This photo of my Krieghoff Neptun drilling illustrates what I am talking about.

[Linked Image from i1231.photobucket.com]

If you look long and hard enough, you may be able to find one on a Trumpf.

I prefer this system, also, but the system on my Trumpf with the safety to the side of it works well enough. I have to admit that I have selected the rifle several times when trying to push off the safety. shocked grin

My older Sauer/Daly sidelock drillings used the side lever, which I think is the best system. I like being able to cock and select the rifle (shot by the Back triggers) and uncock by holding the lever all the way down, pulling the rear trigger, and let the lever up slow and deliberate. They also use a conventional top tang safety. The only thing I don't like about my sidelocks with this feature is the extra weight of a sidelock.

That Neptun is spectacular! I've always wanted a Neptun Primus.

My Sauers that had the side lever cocking feature.

Last edited by luv2safari; 01/23/20.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 72 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.