Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Close....Big 10point. Made the mistake of shiiiting in his yard. After he was told once not to.....

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Back to the subject,
I shot with a south paw up in AK, and he said SKBs were the best for left handed shooters with out being modified. They have a more neutral cast. I think he has now switched to a Blaser F3, but you said you want to stay around the $1000 mark. You can definitely get a used SKB 585 or a lower grade Weatherby Orion. You may be able to find a motivated seller or a not so pretty SKB 785 or a grade 3 or higher Orion in your range. Also keep an eye out for Weatherby Athenas.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Most off the shelf guns are made with neutral cast. Although it is not odd to find a little cast off or cast on with any of them If one looks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a Miroku 12 gauge O/U in the classifieds. Seller is mikestaten. I don't know how to post the thread here. Miroku is made in Japan----they make the shotguns for Browning. I know my BT99 is made by them. IMO, it's exactly what you are looking for-----almost. It's an older gun-----fixed chokes-----no steel shot. Please buy it----I'm trying real hard to resist the temptation.

Not a snowflake but I've seen Ruger Red Labels O/U with barrel bugles & several S/S with them. You're correct they're old guns---like me. It was drilled into my head long ago about steel shot and double barrels.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue

If you could hear that deep throated growl, you would be more careful with your words....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

English Setter?

I got a Lewellin from Bruce----Luv2Safari. Great dogs. I hopefully have another coming from him. Bob

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hunting English Cocker. Others ask me everything from ES to Brittany Spaniel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BEAUTIFUL DOG!

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I would stay clear of Rugers. I would say find a good Citori or a Beretta.

Yes... and add SKB/Weatherby.

YES!

They are excellent guns.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob

If you could hear that deep throated growl, you would be more careful with your words....

English Setter?

I got a Lewellin from Bruce----Luv2Safari. Great dogs. I hopefully have another coming from him. Bob

We're thinking about the 7th, Bob.

FWIW, I would get a fixed choke gun in IC/Mod 3" with 26" barrels. 12 gauge O/U guns are a bit sluggish to handle, and the more "upland" configuration will be the fish & fowl gun.

The newer ammo in either lead or non-toxic reaches out a lot better than the old stuff, and longer barrels give you no range or velocity advantage.

Just my preferences. Get what fits and feels right. wink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by luv2safari

English Setter?

FWIW, I would get a fixed choke gun in IC/Mod 3" with 26" barrels. 12 gauge O/U guns are a bit sluggish to handle, and the more "upland" configuration will be the fish & fowl gun.

The newer ammo in either lead or non-toxic reaches out a lot better than the old stuff, and longer barrels give you no range or velocity advantage.

The benefit of longer barrels is a longer sight plane which makes the target appear to be closer which aids in hitting targets. Hence why you don't see guys shooting Sporting Clays, Trap, and Skeet with short barrels. It for a lot of people also smooths out your swing.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used a Red Label and a Peerless for a long time and shot thousands of shells in Sporting Clays. The Red Label fit me better than the Peerless but I had to send the Peerless back two times to Remington because the trigger would not function for the second shot about 25% of the time. I have never noticed any difference in recoil between the Red Label, the Peerless, Browning Liege B-26, 1951 Browning Superposed or 1966 Winchester 101. I would recommend trying everything you can and go with what you like the best. All of the shotguns are pretty durable and I have never shot a shotgun loose. Don't forget the Japanese guns because they are of very high quality (SKB, B.C. Miroku, etc.).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

English Setter?

The benefit of longer barrels is a longer sight plane which makes the target appear to be closer which aids in hitting targets. Hence why you don't see guys shooting Sporting Clays, Trap, and Skeet with short barrels. It for a lot of people also smooths out your swing.

I've been a smooth swinger since puberty.

I do agree with you about longer barrels in that regard. My opinion of longer barrels has changed as I age, and I'll admit that. My best shooting was in my 40s with a great pre-war Sauer 12ga SXS with 29 1/2" barrels. I couldn't miss. It was this gun. As I got older and busted up a bit the gun failed me. In actuality I failed it. It became sluggish in my hands, hence my predilection for shorter barrels.

This was death on a piece of wood!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I've been a smooth swinger since puberty.

I do agree with you about longer barrels in that regard. My opinion of longer barrels has changed as I age, and I'll admit that. My best shooting was in my 40s with a great pre-war Sauer 12ga SXS with 29 1/2" barrels. I couldn't miss. It was this gun. As I got older and busted up a bit the gun failed me. In actuality I failed it. It became sluggish in my hands, hence my predilection for shorter barrels.

The length of the barrels isn't the problem but of course the easiest to blame. The weight and balance is the problem.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love the photos Bruce-----got to love those lewellins ! smile

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

I shoot left handed.

And I will "throw in" for SKB. I am no expert by any means. In fact the two I have were just recently acquired. one for 750 and one for 1200. the 1200 dollar version is a 885 Target, and came with a case and 7 quality extended tubes. Easily $300 worth of extras.

May take some phone calls and LGS visits, but when you see the higher end versions, you will either love them or hate them - looks wise.
These are going to be Ithaca' or Guns Unlimited imports.The GU's I am guessing will have choke tubes versus fixed. I think there is another importer also.. But not the new Turkish ones. wink

Last edited by timbertoes; 01/23/20.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I saw the Miroku in the classifieds and if it had interchangeable chokes I would have been real interested. There is a Citori cx in the classifieds but not sure how well that would work for my needs. Really looking in the used market.

Compare the weatherby/skb to the Citori please in durability etc. Also are peerless hard to get parts for?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.