-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hint: If you're going to plow and then blow, think about doing it backwards-- blow and then plow.

My reason for saying it is blow-snowers work best on untouched snow. If you plow and then blow, you'll compact the snow in the problem areas and then you'll have a harder time blowing it out. You can also blow out into the path of the snowplow and then use the plow to push it away.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Fugawe
Should be a good blower and JD is pretty good at supporting older models in my experience.
I'd try to get him under $300 though.

F no they're not.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tecumseh Snow King engines were by far the best engines ever put in snowblowers! Do a large amount of commercial and multi residential snow removal and still have several 8/26 MTD blowers in the fleet that are at least 15 years old and have been used hard by my crews as our mid size blowers. As others have said, perform basic yearly maintenance on it and it should last a long time. Keep oil topped off, keep fresh or stabilized fuel in it. Also consider non ethanol fuel or using an ethanol treatment. If it doesnt have a fuel shutoff, consider installing one and remember to shut it off at least at end of season and run machine until it shuts off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even with the JD name, I personally would be hard pressed to pay $350 for an older model snow blower. There are just too many of them (various models) for sale around here at any time.

But if its what you want, its not getting ripped off.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've worked on a couple dozen through the years, and yes they are pretty good machines.. Kinda have to know what wear to look for. The transmissions can be kinda complicated and expensive to work on unless you have done a few.. I'm guessing around $1000.00 will buy a couple of good choices brand new in most areas. I have some suggestions, but I am careful about bringing them up. Been in business for 27 years or so.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I didn't buy it.

It started and ran fine but when I took it for a test drive, it wouldn't throw snow more than 10 feet and that just won't work for me.

Thanks for the input again, guys

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sgt217
They lose the ability to propel snow very far when older. If you deal with wet snow then look elsewhere.

You were right in this case sgt217.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shaman
Hint: If you're going to plow and then blow, think about doing it backwards-- blow and then plow.

My reason for saying it is blow-snowers work best on untouched snow. If you plow and then blow, you'll compact the snow in the problem areas and then you'll have a harder time blowing it out. You can also blow out into the path of the snowplow and then use the plow to push it away.

Yes.

I'm talking about places that I can't reach with the plow and also do the garage slab before plowing.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by tzone
Should be a good blower and JD is pretty good at supporting older models in my experience.

F no they're not.

Maybe I've just been lucky.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That could have just been a belt that was old and glazed, or not adjusted properly.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rooster7
They lose the ability to propel snow very far when older. If you deal with wet snow then look elsewhere.

You're from AZ. Are you sure you weren't blowing sand?

grin

J/K

I'll have to look it over good and hopefully take it for a test run.

I live in Wisconsin now...

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by grouseman
That could have just been a belt that was old and glazed, or not adjusted properly.

He claims in the ad and in person that he just put a new belt on.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by denton
I can't contribute much to the question you asked, but I just had to replace my snow blower, and some of this might be helpful...

Our house has aluminum shingles. So when we have snow, and the temperature starts to warm a bit, we get an avalanche that covers our front and side sidewalks. When the snow hits, it turns into concrete. And often the snow bank is well above knee high. It's a big version of the ice/snow dam that the county snowplow leaves in front of your driveway.

Our old blower was 10 HP, and generally did a good job, but it struggled with the results of the avalanche. I gave up trying to plow the side sidewalks.

The replacement is a yellow 3X28 Cub Cadet. It has a little auger facing forward, ahead of the main auger, and that is for chewing through tough spots. The additional auger makes it a 3 stage. Engine is rated in cc rather than HP, and as nearly as I can tell is 12 HP. It has power steering, meaning that each handle has a little trigger you can pull and the machine will turn itself. That's a big deal. Oh.... and hand warmers! That's a very nice feature. The new machine is bigger than the old one, but much easier to handle. And it handles the avalanches quite well.
[Linked Image]

This. ^^^^^
The 3 stage snowthrowers are game changing.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My dad bought a JD snowblower in 1975. It was still running fine the winter of 2018 when he passed away. We sold it to a neighbor and he is still using it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the exact machine and it works fine. Been around quite a few different brands and I think the old JD machines are pretty good. If it starts and moves easy, offer $300 and take it home. They through snow as good as the new ones.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I didn't buy it.

It started and ran fine but when I took it for a test drive, it wouldn't throw snow more than 10 feet and that just won't work for me.

Thanks for the input again, guys

Yah, she’s on er last legs then.

Last edited by tzone; 01/25/20.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone

F no they're not.

Maybe I've just been lucky.

Or I’m not. Lol

I had to order parts off some old place they sent me to and order online. The folks at the parts place were very helpful. JD, not so much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Believe it or not, the flapper style single stage snow blowers move more cf of snow than 2 stages. Unless you’re throwing 8+ inches at a time they’re by far the way to go. My company uses toros and have had good luck besides my guys beating the crap out of them throwing them in trucks. The JD is a decent blower but I think you’ll run into parts issues shall the need arise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

True, but a simple fix. They get rough inside and grab snow. A shot of Fluid Film on the second impeller and up the chute solves that.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could be a restricted main jet, engine not getting enough fuel to make power. Common problem.

Or the engine could be worn out. Much less common.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, aaronward9, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.