Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I've been thinking about getting a snowblower to clean out some spots I can't get to with the plow truck. I found this add this morning:

For sale is my John Deere 826 snowblower. Electric and pull start. 26 inch cut. New belt and spark plug and ready to throw snow. Chains come with for the tires. Always stored inside. Starts good. Very good traction on ice and tough snow. These were very well made blowers and still can get parts if needed.

Near as I can tell it was made in the '80's. Is there anything to watch out for?

He's asking $350

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They lose the ability to propel snow very far when older. If you deal with wet snow then look elsewhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know if it is true of all makes, but my Toro has a quirk that is very annoying. It is VERY picky about not starting if I do not open the fuel line before attempting to do so. grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sgt217
They lose the ability to propel snow very far when older. If you deal with wet snow then look elsewhere.

You're from AZ. Are you sure you weren't blowing sand?

grin

J/K

I'll have to look it over good and hopefully take it for a test run.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well, it probably beats the other kind of "snow blower" - - - - -a gay Eskimo!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a JD 10/28 and it’s a beast. Mine is 11 years old. The SOB will throw snow 50’

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I don't know if it is true of all makes, but my Toro has a quirk that is very annoying. It is VERY picky about not starting if I do not open the fuel line before attempting to do so. grin

That’s a universal issue industry wide. grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks pretty nice. Just do a test drive. Parts are available, cheap, and easy to replace. No worries.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many Horse?

How wide?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VernAK
How many Horse?How wide?

Model is a 826....8 hp.....26" wide....

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Should be a good blower and JD is pretty good at supporting older models in my experience.
I'd try to get him under $300 though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a used 524 20 yrs ago now without electric start. Worked great, only complaint is the older JD blowers like pictured have shorter handles and as heavy as they are are tougher to maneuver in tight places and don't balance well on wheels.. Worked without a flaw. 16yrs ago I bought a 5yr old 826 with electric start and auger controls at rear. Takes little effort to push down on handles to raise front so you aren't worn out from man handling them.Sold the old 5HP for $500 and paid $625 for the 8HP with electric start. At the time local JD dealership was asking $1850 for new 8HP. Love it, other than a couple of plugs and oil it has run flawless. When I managed LP plant in '96 there wasn't a new blower to be had in these parts. Found a JD 1032 of same vintage as pictured above, a snow eatin mutha!!!!! But an animal to maneuver. Compare the auger, gearbox and the sheetmetal of a JD blower to those sold at Walmarts etc. No pot metal gear box for auger on the JD. If they had a Honda motor instead of Techumseh (sp?) is the only way they might be better!!!!! Just my .02 cents worth.

Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 01/24/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Fugawe
Should be a good blower and JD is pretty good at supporting older models in my experience.
I'd try to get him under $300 though.

I'll try but this is a FB add and there are people lined up behind me so I'm thinking there will not be a lot of wiggle room, unfortunately.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for the input gents. Going to look at it now.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Told my Dad to get a John Deere snowblower in 1990, which he did. It's about the same size as the one you're looking at. That machine ran flawlessly for over 30 years with minimal maintenance outside of oil changes and an occasional spark plug. If it starts and blows snow, I'd buy it. The only thing we had to keep on hand were the shear bolts for the front auger blades. Hit some heavy ice and the bolts would shear - as they should. About a 10 minute repair.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can't contribute much to the question you asked, but I just had to replace my snow blower, and some of this might be helpful...

Our house has aluminum shingles. So when we have snow, and the temperature starts to warm a bit, we get an avalanche that covers our front and side sidewalks. When the snow hits, it turns into concrete. And often the snow bank is well above knee high. It's a big version of the ice/snow dam that the county snowplow leaves in front of your driveway.

Our old blower was 10 HP, and generally did a good job, but it struggled with the results of the avalanche. I gave up trying to plow the side sidewalks.

The replacement is a yellow 3X28 Cub Cadet. It has a little auger facing forward, ahead of the main auger, and that is for chewing through tough spots. The additional auger makes it a 3 stage. Engine is rated in cc rather than HP, and as nearly as I can tell is 12 HP. It has power steering, meaning that each handle has a little trigger you can pull and the machine will turn itself. That's a big deal. Oh.... and hand warmers! That's a very nice feature. The new machine is bigger than the old one, but much easier to handle. And it handles the avalanches quite well.
[Linked Image]

Be not weary in well doing.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd buy it. Normal maintenance would be clean the carb, replace the fuel line and run some combustion chamber decarbonizer through it. Change the oil and spark plug.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think JD is made by MTD, they make many blowers with difference brands. Sort of middle of the road blowers used for normal type snowfalls.
I have an Ariens, because I live in an area of heavy snow and lots of it.
If the JD runs well, it should work for what you're looking for, clean up after plowing, if it's going to be your prime source of snow removal then you need something better.

"The older I get, the better I was"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'd say that is a ok buy. Isn't that a rebadged Ariens? Either way a solid machine. Tecumseh engine, these are pretty reliable, keep the oil changed (and full) Should be able to be repaired for a long time. I would buy it if I needed a snowblower.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny, the Deer in the OP's picture looks exactly like my MTD except for the paint. Been a good machine for, um, 24 years now. Just do the book maintenance and touch up the paint at the end of the season. For skid shoes I weld on a chunk of 1/4 inch bar stock every couple years. And adjust the skids every so often (say once or twice a season up here) to save grinding down your shave plate.

Don't drive it too hard with chains. Remember tire slippage was considered in not overstressing the drive line.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.