-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Friends help ya move. Good friends help ya move bodies.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ok,
Take boiling hot water wash out all ice and snow from the vent to open it up. Then take a piece of flexible copper tubing. 3/8 to maybe 1/2 inch in diameter, make sure the tubing is long enough so you can put a short 180 degree bend in the tubing. Where the vent pipe extends through the roof drop the copper tubing inside the vent pipe so you just take the j-hook part of the tubing and let it rest on the rim of the vent pipe. (Don’t let it drop inside the vent pipe and fall down inside) just make sure it is long enough that the copper tubing extends down far enough to reach the heated space. 3 - 6 ft long depending on you roof framing. The heat from the house will travel up the copper tubing and keep the ice and snow clear enough to vent properly.
Don’t have to plug it in. Just the cost of a piece of copper tubing.

At some point my hobbies became my life.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup my gutters at 27' .....i took 1/2" stick of 20' copper ..ran it down till it hit a turn or bottomed out marked the spot Pull it back out- cut it 6" shorter , solder on a tee and 2 street 90's , bend a slight ark ...kinda like a giant C or a long bow ..drop back in an never worry again... been doing it this way 30 years ....you dont do the ark/bend/bow ... it will let you KNOW the wind is blowing as the rattling will not stop till the wind dies ..lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This group looks like a knowable home maintenance bunch. Maybe you could help me with an uncommon problem in my local. What do the Washington, high humidity area people use to control moss/lichen grown on shingles? My home has some shaded spots and moss is growing. Most of the products are special order in my area because of low use or chemical restrictions.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
First remove trees overhanging branches from or near roof. Use a moss killer or bleach mixture about 50 % diluted to kill moss, I use a pump sprayer. After its brown or killed hose it off. I see others use a pressure washer to me too much aggregate damage on a comp. roof. I added a galvanized strip tucked under 2nd layer of top of roof shingles. Work safe and don fall off or hire it done. Or replace roof shingles early! Thats how I do it my roof has easy access and moderate pitch.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Power washer works well, but agree it can be damaging if not done with care.

The Zn in the galvanized flashing is your huckleberry.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've use Zinc Sulfate in a product called Corry's Moss B Ware. It has done well on the exposed moss, but I don't know if it is getting at the
roots of the moss under the shingles. I'm adding the zinc stripe into my future new roof quote. The shingles on the house are 20 years old. They were top of the line 40 year warranty then. Now they are considered entry level Home Depot DIY product. The new top line shingles advertise the addition of zinc sulfate into their recipe.

https://www.corrys.com/all-products/moss-b-ware

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Copper pipe hammered flat or cut open and flattened does a good job, also.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.