Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A nice whitetail buck in central North Carolina will weigh 180-220 live weight ( can be more ). Much less down east and varies in others areas too. Antler size varies a lot buy region with most BC bucks coming from central NC. For example my daughter killed a 142 eight point in central NC while the buck I am most proud of ( from any state ) only scored 125 but it came from the western part of the state.TreeGuy is a great kid ( his dad is a retired Marine ) and is looking forward to serving our country so thanks for your help.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
BP-B2

CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I admit I had to Google Jeremiah Weed. smile

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TreeGuy
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Good deer can be found on many public areas I am sure. I hunted some public land this last season and the only individual I saw out there was one guy fishing, but I didn't go on a weekend. I'm in the SE part of OK and I can definitely say that pressure from Texas has raised the cost of private land hunting in this area.

Tips:

Have him consider the draw hunts. It is $5 to enter as many draws as you want and these hunts do not count toward the combined season limit in most cases.

There is a state wide elk season based on a quota, private land only except for draw hunts, if that is of interest.

Buy a crossbow. Rifle season is short and crossbows are legal for all hunters regardless of disability status. Archery runs from Oct 1-Jan 15.

Just made an account, appreciate the advice. I'd only be able to hunt weekends unfortunately, but hopefully I can find some areas away from everyone else. From looking at maps, it seems like I might not be able to just hike 2 miles into the woods to escape hunters like I can here in NC. Suppose I can grab a crossbow, enter the draws, and try my best. Sounds like a fun challenge. You think door-knocking for deer is out of question?

You can always ask. A coworker actually let me hunt her family land this year when she heard I lost my spot. It’s the big leases that have gotten a lot of out of state pressure. If someone would lease it to you they likely know the value of their property as a lease.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
Don’t bother buying an elk tag if you can’t hunt them on Ft Sill. Outside of the Special SW Zone, where I live that’s about 4 1/2 hours from Enid and all private, there’s no elk to speak of. They opened the season statewide a few years ago because there are a few here and there that are likely escapees from some high fence area and there was a grey area around the legality of shooting them. There’s also no elk hunting on public lands. I think in the last 3 or 4 years theres been less than ten killed statewide outside of the above mentioned SW zone. You’d just be throwing your money away.

Of course the Witchita mountain draw hunt for elk is once-in-a-lifetime so why not try for it while here?

As to the overall numbers they are available online. I know the SE section has a quota of 5 and it’s usually filled in the first couple weeks of archery. There is a breeding population in the Pushmata WMA but of course the statewide season is private land only.

Just checked. This season: 58 harvested outside the special southwest zone. 128 harvested in the SSZ

Last edited by 117LBS; 01/23/20. Reason: Add numbers

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes by all means put in for the Wichitas. But I wouldn’t recommend buying a general season tag just because it’s available. Especially if you are going to be up around Enid.

Last edited by TheKid; 01/23/20.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
BTW I’m surprised at the 58 killed outside of the SSZ. Pretty cool

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm just curious. A military guy there for a training session is probably living on base or maybe in an apartment. So if you get an elk, what do you do with it? You can probably find a charity to take the meat but how about a nice set of antlers? They're not very practical to be hauling around between duty stations.

I'm the guy in question, just made an account. If it's deemed acceptable out there, I'm thinking I could bag a deer out and happily process the meat at home. I'll likely be staying in a rental house off base so a cooler and a freezer is no problem. If I get some antlers, hopefully there'd be a taxidermist around for a European mount. I'm not sure I'd go for Elk for those reasons though. That'd be a bit too much to deal with I'd think.

RockChuck-
Just curious, but what are you trying to get at here? If a guy does 20+ years is he expected to not hunt during his most healthy & able hunting days he'll see in his life?

Treedude- I recommend applying for elk. Take every opportunity you can get. Your flight training time will be like living in frat house most of the time. You and the other Lt's will be able to eat a elk up real quick in between doing shots of Jeremiah Weed.

I'm not trying to discourage hunting at all. Like I said, I'm curious because the animal has to be handled in some way and often military people aren't in a position to do so, especially when at a base short term for training. It would seem to be easier while at a long term duty station because you'd be dug in better rather than living on the fly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Being in the military he can hunt fort sill. It’s some of the best whitetail and elk hunting in the state. 2 hrs south of Enid

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
I'm just curious. A military guy there for a training session is probably living on base or maybe in an apartment. So if you get an elk, what do you do with it? You can probably find a charity to take the meat but how about a nice set of antlers? They're not very practical to be hauling around between duty stations.

I'm the guy in question, just made an account. If it's deemed acceptable out there, I'm thinking I could bag a deer out and happily process the meat at home. I'll likely be staying in a rental house off base so a cooler and a freezer is no problem. If I get some antlers, hopefully there'd be a taxidermist around for a European mount. I'm not sure I'd go for Elk for those reasons though. That'd be a bit too much to deal with I'd think.

RockChuck-
Just curious, but what are you trying to get at here? If a guy does 20+ years is he expected to not hunt during his most healthy & able hunting days he'll see in his life?

Treedude- I recommend applying for elk. Take every opportunity you can get. Your flight training time will be like living in frat house most of the time. You and the other Lt's will be able to eat a elk up real quick in between doing shots of Jeremiah Weed.

I'm not trying to discourage hunting at all. Like I said, I'm curious because the animal has to be handled in some way and often military people aren't in a position to do so, especially when at a base short term for training. It would seem to be easier while at a long term duty station because you'd be dug in better rather than living on the fly.

Flight School ain't a short term thing. It's a assignment that they'll be at (hopefully... people do fail out) for a long time. I butchered several types of small game on my dorm patio as a young amn and my friends and I ate through a whitetail right quick. You're correct that mounts and antlers are a giant PIA in military life, but you find ways to survive. I've got elk heads with my FIL, Coues deer with a buddy in NM, Pronghorn with another friend right now while I'm wasting away in Germany. Once I get home, I'll have to figure out a logistics plan to get everything gathered up, but hunting is important to me and I'll figure it out.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I forgot to mention, check the Oklahoma Land Access Program (OLAP) map on the wildlife department website. Not sure what would be near you but it’s worth a look. There are different levels of access that landowners can allow, but the most common for big game appears to be the “Archery and Shotgun only(no slugs)” option....bringing us back to the crossbow.....

IC B3

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CWT,

He can go to the link below and choose any local COE lake and it will have a map of areas that have public hunting.

https://www.swt.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/Hunting-Information/

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I will also recommend Ft Sill hunting. It’s terrific!
I will add that you should invest in a good pair of snake boots. Rattlers and Copperheads all over everywhere.
Have fun and good luck!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There are still buffalo there, don't think we'll be hunting them soon.

The elk have been jumping off Wichita Mtn Wildlife Refuge for quite a while, friends took two from a ranch in eastern Kiowa County some years ago, rancher has since began leasing his land.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.