-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd look at KUIU, have many pieces of their stuff, very happy customer. I wear Patagonia nano puff (vest and jacket) daily but would think it too shiny/noisy for hunting.

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-vests/

I'm looking at the Kenai Ultra.

Last edited by 257Bob; 01/03/20.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by x2mosg
Simms Fishing has a couple of nice vests. Patagonia or North Face are never a bad choice. I've got a Cabela's vest that I've had for 5-6 years that's awesome, but from my experience their quality has fallen off over the past few years. I wear vests as well. I hate having my arms tied up, or shoulders feeling bound.

Originally Posted by aalf
I just bought the Jetstream vest, but haven't gave it a good workout yet.

I was looking for light, windproof, and quiet, and so far, no regrets.

So, when you guys wear these windproof vests, what do you do about your exposed arms/sleeves? I have tried this approach with my Smart Wool & the wind cuts thru it easily. I assume your top sleeved layer is windproof as well?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have not used the more recent options but have had great service from a number of fleece vests. If colder I have paired these with down or Patagonia micro puffs vest, wearing two vests at once. If severe conditions are likely a windproof outer layer goes over all. I am mixed on the wind shear vests as they work well but easy to get over heated in them. A dense Natural gear polar tech vest is a favorite as the dense fleece turns wind but breaths well. I have both versions of the Berber fleece and prefer the non wind shear version.

A dense 200-400 gram fleece or pile vest is very versatile, add a puffy down or synthetic and you will only need more in cold temps or for long sits. A wind/waterproof outer shell is advisable for any variable conditions. Don't discount wool either, I have really enjoyed both the Woolrich and Filson wool vests, there are many others that are good too.

One thing I have noticed about some of the soft shell outer wear is they are exactly that, soft, one trip through thorn brush renders them no better than a K-Mart green light special.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by x2mosg
Simms Fishing has a couple of nice vests. Patagonia or North Face are never a bad choice. I've got a Cabela's vest that I've had for 5-6 years that's awesome, but from my experience their quality has fallen off over the past few years. I wear vests as well. I hate having my arms tied up, or shoulders feeling bound.

Originally Posted by aalf
I just bought the Jetstream vest, but haven't gave it a good workout yet.

I was looking for light, windproof, and quiet, and so far, no regrets.

So, when you guys wear these windproof vests, what do you do about your exposed arms/sleeves? I have tried this approach with my Smart Wool & the wind cuts thru it easily. I assume your top sleeved layer is windproof as well?

Honestly, I just feel constricted in a jacket. As long as I can keep my core warm, the rest takes care of itself. I own jackets, but seldom wear them, hunting or otherwise. My daily wear to work or out, below 45 degrees, is a flannel or chamois shirt over a short or long sleeve tee, depending on temps. Then a vest over that to keep my core warm. I'm warm-natured, so my arms don't typically get too cold as long as I'm somewhat active. Stand hunting I do prefer to cover my arms from the wind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I picked up one of these this past Fall for a moose hunt. Worked well for me in the same ways you are looking for.

https://www.plythal.com/products/mid-season-vest

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have one like this with the wind stopper lining. It is good when it is really windy but a plain fleece or soft shell jacket is more versatile over a wider temperature range. It also works better as a mid layer. https://www.sierra.com/banded-atchafalaya-vest-for-men~p~752wu/?filterString=s~mens-vests%2F

Sierra had several others that might fit the bill. Most of the puffer or down vests are shiny which is too bad but some are not.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've not found any of the soft shell or windproof fleece jackets or vests that were comfortable. I'd much rather have a much less expensive breathable fleece, or even thin down vest and carry a lightweight regular shell. When moving all of the softshells I've tried are too hot because they don't breathe. Then when I stop I'm damp with moisture.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,081
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.