Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Academy by me has Remington Core Lokt 100gr 243 Winchester on sale for $14.99 a box. $200 should get you 12 boxes plus the tax.

BP-B6

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by mathman
95 grain Federal Fusion has been very good in my camp.

+1

Another vote for Federal Fusion. Nephew shot his first deer with same in November. Hit shoulder and spine. Bullet was recovered under the hide on far side. Bullet was mangled, but held together. While I am partial to Nosler Partitions, no flies on the Federal Fusion bullets for deer hunting.

I would second the idea to use this as an opportunity to try several different flavors of ammo to see which is most accurate in your rifle. THEN, buy a case of whatever your rifle likes best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elliot
Originally Posted by fats
The HSM ammo with the 87 grain VLD or the 95 grain depending on your twist. They work great for me.

I thought anything under 95 Grain was not good for deer.

Some people would like to believe that but have never shot anything under 95 or 100 grains.

I have shot em with 70 grain bullets on up to 100. Have yet to lose a deer although with the light bullets a shot through the ribs behind the shoulder is a must.

I am currently using a 95 grain Partition in my 6mm but would have mo issues going back to an 80 or 85 grain SP on our midwestern deer.

100 grain bullets may be best if you cannot pick your shots carefully or for extra insurance with youngsters.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by fats
The HSM ammo with the 87 grain VLD or the 95 grain depending on your twist. They work great for me.

I thought anything under 95 Grain was not good for deer.

It depends on which bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blue Box 100’s are sleepers.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agree on try a few to see what your gun likes. I shoot the Hornady American whitetail 100gr which you can find pretty cheap if you look around.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Wow guys thanks for all this valuable information, joining this Forum after I bougth my rifle ( did I mention is a 9.25 twist rate 22 inches barrel? ) was the best thing I done. I hear a lot about 95 grain also hear that for the twist rate I have 100g works best on the twist I have.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Hey guys what about Hornady Superformance SST.243 Win 95-Grain ? Or are they just the same as Federal blue box ?

My rifle has a slow twist, 10 or 11 to 1, and shoots the Superformance 80 grain GMX very well. It's a tough mono-metal bullet, but expensive and not something I'd waste at the range.

What is your rifle? Ruger, Remington, and Savage all have a faster twist and would probably shoot the 95 and 100 grain bullets better than a slower twist rifle would.

My rifle is a Remington with a 9.25 twist rate. And a 22 inch barrel. Thanks.

Last edited by Elliot; 01/24/20.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hey guys what about Hornady Superformance SST.243 Win 95-Grain ? Or are they just the same as Federal blue box ?

My rifle has a slow twist, 10 or 11 to 1, and shoots the Superformance 80 grain GMX very well. It's a tough mono-metal bullet, but expensive and not something I'd waste at the range.

What is your rifle? Ruger, Remington, and Savage all have a faster twist and would probably shoot the 95 and 100 grain bullets better than a slower twist rifle would.

My rifle is a Remington with a 9.25 twist rate. And a 22 inch barrel. Thanks.

I could be mistaken, but I believe Remington is a 9.125.

Regardless, it should shoot the 100 grain pointed soft point and the 95 grain tipped bullets into a tighter group than my slow twist 243 does.

Last edited by DollarShort; 01/24/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got a $200 gift certificate from Academy and I,m just gonna go and buy a few boxes of ammo for my .243 I want to but good ammo and price doesn't matter since they are free. Can you guys help me decide on good ammo? And ammo just for target practice. By the way this is my first hunting rifle so don't know much about good ammo or bad ammo although I believe you get what you pay for. Thank in advance.

I don't shoot 243 factory ammo often, but when I do, I prefer to shoot the 95 grain Winchester/Olin Deer Season XP. It has proven itself to be accurate in each rifle that I've shot it in and deadly on each animal that I've shot it at. It isn't a deep penetrator, so POA/POI placement should be considered before squeezing the trigger.

Wal-Mart sells it for under $20 per box.

I think that any 243 factory load with bullets weighing 90 grain or more would be a good choice for shooting medium game, just buy the brand and bullet style that you like and then see how well it shoots in your rifle.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Winchester 100gr powerpoint.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Hornady ammo and SST's are good and a step up. But probably won't kill a whitetail any deader. You might buy several different kinds to see which shoots the best and then go back and spend more of your gift certificate on the winner.

This and when you find which is more accurate try to get boxes with the same lot number. The premium bullets of 80 grains+ work fine on deer too but I mostly shoot 95 or 100 grain loads. Seems like when the 243 was introduced there were a lot of softer varmint bullets and only the 100 grain pills were designed for deer but now there are lots of choices suitable for game. If big hogs are a possibility I would pick a slightly tougher bullet but this isn't imperative.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Hornady ammo and SST's are good and a step up. But probably won't kill a whitetail any deader. You might buy several different kinds to see which shoots the best and then go back and spend more of your gift certificate on the winner.

This and when you find which is more accurate try to get boxes with the same lot number. The premium bullets of 80 grains+ work fine on deer too but I mostly shoot 95 or 100 grain loads. Seems like when the 243 was introduced there were a lot of softer varmint bullets and only the 100 grain pills were designed for deer but now there are lots of choices suitable for game. If big hogs are a possibility I would pick a slightly tougher bullet but this isn't imperative.

Thanks for the tip, I think I'm gonna stay between 95 and 100 grain.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
100gr federal blue box. practice and hunt with same ammo. easy, peasy, and kills deer as well as any out there imo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have used both the blue box federal and the fussions out of our .243 over the years and have been more than pleased with both.if I had to choose only one of those two I would lean towards the fussions. It’s performance has been stellar. I just feel it is a tad tougher bullet based on the pass through we’ve experienced.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have heard lots of good reports on Federal Fusion ammo, especially in 243 Winchester.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fed Fusion

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've had much better accuracy with Federal blue box & fusion ammo across several rifles, than any other brand. As has been mentioned, many times it was so good I wouldn't bother with reloading for that particular rifle. If you stick with the 95 grain & up offerings, I doubt a .243 could stress 'em enough to have bullet problems.

On a whim, I once ran some Remington & Winchester factory rounds across a concentricity gauge, and found the results to track exactly with the accuracy I'd seen from them. I didn't have any Federal ammo on hand at the time, but I'd bet a Happy Hour beer it would be fairly concentric.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

My 45 year old Rem 700 shoots most any 100 gr. well, including Hornady whitetail. Now that I finally got the right fore-end pressure on it!

It definitely does not like the 95 gr. I tried (Rem??) - I don't remember)) , which surprised the heck out of me. Lighter bullets it does not like nearly as well as any 100 gr. - so like the man says, buy a box of several and see what it likes. Good use for free stuff!

Having used Superperformance 150's in '06, I think for actual hunting in the .243, I'd shy away from it. It makes BIG holes at short ranges with my '06. Very fast expansion until it gets out about 300 yards and sheds some velocity. That is in my '06., used on over a half dozen caribou. Never used the SST's in .243 on game, so can't help you there with real life.

Still worth a try, both on range and in the field to see how it performs for you and your needs.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Federal Fusion have given us great results, both accuracy and terminal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
168 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.