Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
These guys may know about meteors, but they don’t know a damn about the weather. It’s raining, but it’s evaporating before it hits the ground. Then it’s not raining dickweed!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I love the 10 day forecast that changes daily , laf .

Whelenman

Which western state do you live in ?
What you mention is Idaho-like rain - you can see a raindrop hit then disappear within a few seconds . A monsoon there settles the dust for 20 minutes .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A whole lot of guessing going on in that business!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelenman
These guys may know about meteors, but they don’t know a damn about the weather. It’s raining, but it’s evaporating before it hits the ground. Then it’s not raining dickweed!!!

It's called Verga-- rain that doesn't hit the ground.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I love the 10 day forecast that changes daily , laf .

Whelenman

Which western state do you live in ?
What you mention is Idaho-like rain - you can see a raindrop hit then disappear within a few seconds . A monsoon there settles the dust for 20 minutes .

Michigan!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We had a lady on staff who one day mentioned that her son was a meteorologist. I tried to comfort her by pointing out that he was young and would hopefully get his life straightened out. Her level of humor appreciation appeared to be low.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
We have a whole herd of Meteorologists around here and they seldom get the forecast even close. Like Yogi said "It's hard to predicts things, especially when it's about the future".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a meteorologist. 30 years experience, but 0 years of forecasting. I don't trust those fu kkers either.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

They are using the GEOPOT height for forcasts.

500 hPa (GPDM) and MSLP Geopotential height which the US National Weather Service defines as: roughly the height above sea level of a pressure level. For example, if a station reports that the 500mb height at its location is 5600m, it means that the level of the atmosphere over that station at which the atmospheric pressure is 500mb is 5600 meters above sea level. This is an estimated height based on temperature and pressure data. Mean Surface Level Pressure (MSLP) is usually shown on the 500hPa GPDM plots with contours. The 500hPa plots are useful for a range of reasons, one being that computer models usually forecast this level better than surface conditions at longer ranges.

Last edited by MM879; 01/24/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're all equally incorrect; you may as well watch the ones that got a boob job instead of a degree.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People are surprised when the weather forecast is wrong and can't believe how meteorologists got it wrong. I'm of the opposite mindset I am actually blown away, in light of the nature of weather, how often they get it correct. Frankly, color me impressed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amen, BigSky. At six this morning, my online source said to expect rain beginning at 10:30 a.m. and it wasn't raining when I looked out at 10:20 but it was at 10:45. That's pretty damn good in my book.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman

Shaman,

you may want to do a spell check on that.

It's "virga"

Verga has an entirely different meaning. grin

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=La%20verga

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
People are surprised when the weather forecast is wrong and can't believe how meteorologists got it wrong. I'm of the opposite mindset I am actually blown away, in light of the nature of weather, how often they get it correct. Frankly, color me impressed.

I absolutely agree with that, but some could still benefit from the use of a window. 😉

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For our area "they" get pretty close most times. It has to be difficult for them figuring out how much moisture is going to get squeezed out by the Cascades to the west and what will remain for us. If they predict less than an inch of snow, it's usually pretty dang close.

My wife has an "app" on her phone that gives us predictions like Rocky's, somedays they nail it, others not so much.

The funniest are the ones my relatives get from "The Weather Channel" on their phones predicting "Heavy Snow" in our area when we have a chance of 1/2" coming. I'm not sure if they have the same definition of heavy as we do here. For me, the Weather Channel is a joke.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by shaman

Shaman,

you may want to do a spell check on that.

It's "virga"

Verga has an entirely different meaning. grin

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=La%20verga

Geno

Ha! "beat" me to it.🤣

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah,

Not sure I want to say the "verga" fell out of the sky!

La verga se cayo del cielo.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around here, after all these years, I finally noticed how they figure how many inches of snow to forecast for. Whatever they call for I just cut it in half and I'm usually closer to correct than they are. Example - They call for 4 to 6 inches of snow........ So I figure we're gonna get 2 to 3 inches; and that's what it usually turns out to be. Then, recently I realized that if we get more than predicted; lots of people get angry and bitch about it; but if we get less there's no complaints. So they routinely over estimate those things as a C.Y.A. move.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We had a weatherman up here that got fired from the TV station after doing a commercial for someone. Station manager said it "impugned his credibility".

To which the fired guy replied, in essence, " Credibility? WTF- I'm a Weatherman!"

I "trust" Wunderground's 10 day about 3 days out - unless they are changing it daily. We get a lot of uncertainty from the north Pacific....

But frequently the 10 day comes thru as advertised. Surprising, when one considers the state of the art- and it is an art - from 40,50 years ago.

Last edited by las; 01/24/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Someone once asked a weather bureau how they arrived a their percent chances for different types of weather predictions.

Their reply was, "there are ten meteorologists here. We all go look out the window and if all ten agree it's 100%, if five agree it's 50%, or if only two agree it's 20% chance."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,152
Posts18,465,058
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.