Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salty303
There's no wolves in Australia. But there's dogs. Discuss quietly amongst yourselves..

Domestic dogs gone feral, not selected for affinity to humans for millennia. They make awful pets, even more so than our own Carolina Dog, but apparently not as dangerous as wolves.

For dingo origins See....

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/blogs/austropalaeo/2014/05/dawn-of-the-dingo/

Incidentally, the Indian wolf (in India) is relatively short-haired and largely yellow in color.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^ Interesting I thought Dingos were a hell of a lot longer in Australia than that.

Maybe I was confused with the African wild dog. I just looked that one up on Wiki the oldest fossil is 200,000 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_wild_dog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Wolves make very poor guardians of humans/properties, and poor alarm animals, too.

No chit?

Good thing wolves are natural pointers and retrievers, then!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I saw the thread title and thought someone found where Poobs started training dogs.......timeline's about right......

Well,

I wasn't going to say anything but didn't he invent the dog?

Geno

Well, I wasn't going to go into all that......just yet...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i think we should just be thankful that canines and man became dependent on one another, how we will never know.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i think we should just be thankful that canines and man became dependent on one another, how we will never know.

Better having them hunt for me than having them hunting me.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i love dogs and as much as i hate to admit, cats also.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i love dogs and as much as i hate to admit, cats also.

Our whippets love cats too......................

that's why I can't have any. wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
^ Interesting I thought Dingos were a hell of a lot longer in Australia than that.

Maybe I was confused with the African wild dog. I just looked that one up on Wiki the oldest fossil is 200,000 years

The Dingo is thought to have played a part in displacing native marsupial predators such as the Thylacine from the mainland. The Dingo arrived after Tasmania was separated from the mainland, so species like the Thylacine and Tasmanian Devil lived on in Tasmania after going extinct on the mainland.

The Dingo is also evidence for wolf descendants living and hunting cooperatively with humans before agriculture. Among other things, the pure Dingo tends to lack the genes for digesting grains and other complex carbohydrates, and is related to Asiatic wolves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dan_oz

The Dingo is also evidence for wolf descendants living and hunting cooperatively with humans before agriculture...and is related to Asiatic wolves.

Aus indigenous were still in the stoneage till about
Late 18th century and had dingo in their camps/communities
for how long?

Yet according to TRH theres no chance primitive man
would have and support a wolf type that could not provide much of any benefit.

BIRD said they even make lousy pets.

So what were the natives thinking for millennia
by having them around?

They dont push prams or strollers like a circus act animal
but they can carrry babies and undo their buttons.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Does anyone really read starman posts?

I do. He's burning up his fuse up there alone.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Good read. Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you read Meshack Browning's memoir, there's a period there where he was hunting in the company of wolves. Browning would put a ball into a deer and then the wolves would run it down for him. He'd come along, finish off the deer and gut it. The wolves would feast on the viscera. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. The wolves figured out that a human was very handy to have around, and they quickly formed a symbiotic relationship. Given that simple scenario, I'm pretty sure that it did not take much for dogs and humans to learn how to benefit from each other.

The other thing that comes to mind here is how diverse the levels of intelligence of both species seem to be. I've seen dogs that were dumb as posts, and a very few that seemed to be close to my own. Dogs have a complicated social system to deal with this amongst themselves, just as humans do. So it makes sense that they could recognize intelligence in others and learn to leverage it. I once had a dog that taught himself how to use the cable remote so he could watch Lassie on Animal Planet at 4 AM. He would switch over to Lifetime to watch Miracle Pets at 11.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

The African Wild Dog is only distantly related to canis familiaris. They cannot interbreed, whereas canis familiaris can interbreed quite easy with Dingoes.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Starman

Yet according to TRH theres no chance primitive man
would have and support a wolf type that could not provide much of any benefit.

Not to any significant degree. It probably happened from time to time. But this cannot explain the appearance of the domesticated dog, which even in very primitive form would have been tremendously useful to a hunter gatherer community. Ordinary wolves raised by hand, not so much. They'd be more of a pest and a useless eater.

The best explanation is that phase-one of domestication occurred without human intention, i.e., wolves splintered off a subspecies that specialized in living off of man's excess food scraps, bones, guts, etc.. and that the most human-aggressive among these were regularly killed off by man, causing a gradual decrease in the presence of human-aggressive genes within this subspecies, till eventually the subspecies became quite accustomed to man's presence, and even cooperative with him to a certain extent. From there, man found uses for this much more tractable wolf subspecies (e.g., pulling sleds), which eventually (through constant human selection for particular traits) became canis familiaris.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lmao....

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shaman
If you read Meshack Browning's memoir, there's a period there where he was hunting in the company of wolves. Browning would put a ball into a deer and then the wolves would run it down for him. He'd come along, finish off the deer and gut it. The wolves would feast on the viscera. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. The wolves figured out that a human was very handy to have around, and they quickly formed a symbiotic relationship. Given that simple scenario, I'm pretty sure that it did not take much for dogs and humans to learn how to benefit from each other.

This.

Quite a different scenario than some guy taking in a litter of wolf pups, and maintaining a steadily reproducing population of them, till they become dogs.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Maybe the wolves were trailing the child? She could have been lunch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
They'd be more of a pest and a useless eater.

+1 ^^ 100%

Maybe their hide for a good shirt, nothing more... otherwise they'd just be another hunting competitor.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Valsdad

There weren't no humans, or dogs 26000 years ago.

The world is only 4000, OK, maybe 6000 years old, depending on the interpretation of the calendars.

Everything, I mean EVERYTHING come off that Ark just like it is and is sposed to be.

GEno

What does that have to do with this thread? Nobody with an IQ has believed such fairy tales for 200 years or more.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,226
Posts18,466,576
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.