Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
95g SST, 95g ballistic tip, 95g Partition, 100g Hornady all work extremely well.

R#26 boosts velocity to 3200 with the above bullets, but our success was in the 3000 fps area, Big Kansas white tails and big Nebraska corn fed Bucks. My friend in New Zealand shoots from one mt to the next with the 243 and 95g SST on those large deer they have.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you use a 50 BMG and hit a deer in the foot you’re not going to eat venison!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed maybe a dozen deer with a .243W. My daughter now 28 years old has killed 22 WT deer with 22 shots and a good many hogs with her plain Jane Model 10 Savage .243W that she got at age 9. One of the hogs was a huge Russian that was the biggest anyone around here has killed. In my job as a state game warden I helped track down a good many wounded deer that had been shot with a .243W. The last deer I shot with my daughters rifle was a large 9 point hit behind his shoulder at a slight angle to aft. He was down without moving out of his tracks. Almost all of our deer shooting since 2001 with the .243W has been Nosler Partition 100 gr. I bought a .243W Model 700 in 1978 and killed 6 deer in one year with it using Remington factory loads probably 100 grain corelocks. One very good buck that I thought I made a good shot on went down and then got up and left and was never seen again. Another 220 lb. 8 point buck being chased by beagles stopped behind a tree maybe 25 feet from me. To avoid hitting the tree I made a shot pretty far back and got one lung at which point he took off and was shot at and missed by another hunter maybe 300 yards away. Needless to say after the beagles caught him I had to show the blood trail leading up to the second shot to claim my deer. After that in 1980 I bought a Model 700 .30-06 which I still own. The .243W is a fine accurate rifle and usually works just fine but there have been a lot of cases where a less than ideal shot from a .30-06 instead of the .243W would have resulted in a recovered deer or a lot less hiking. I don't argue for large magnums but sometimes you can get a less than ideal shot off for any number of reasons and be brought to grief with a marginal round. My daughter even though she is grown now stills exclusively uses her .243W with 100 gr. Nosler Partititions but she will tell you a .30-06 is a superior deer rifle.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
I've killed maybe a dozen deer with a .243W. My daughter now 28 years old has killed 22 WT deer with 22 shots and a good many hogs with her plain Jane Model 10 Savage .243W that she got at age 9. One of the hogs was a huge Russian that was the biggest anyone around here has killed. In my job as a state game warden I helped track down a good many wounded deer that had been shot with a .243W. The last deer I shot with my daughters rifle was a large 9 point hit behind his shoulder at a slight angle to aft. He was down without moving out of his tracks. Almost all of our deer shooting since 2001 with the .243W has been Nosler Partition 100 gr. I bought a .243W Model 700 in 1978 and killed 6 deer in one year with it using Remington factory loads probably 100 grain corelocks. One very good buck that I thought I made a good shot on went down and then got up and left and was never seen again. Another 220 lb. 8 point buck being chased by beagles stopped behind a tree maybe 25 feet from me. To avoid hitting the tree I made a shot pretty far back and got one lung at which point he took off and was shot at and missed by another hunter maybe 300 yards away. Needless to say after the beagles caught him I had to show the blood trail leading up to the second shot to claim my deer. After that in 1980 I bought a Model 700 .30-06 which I still own. The .243W is a fine accurate rifle and usually works just fine but there have been a lot of cases where a less than ideal shot from a .30-06 instead of the .243W would have resulted in a recovered deer or a lot less hiking. I don't argue for large magnums but sometimes you can get a less than ideal shot off for any number of reasons and be brought to grief with a marginal round. My daughter even though she is grown now stills exclusively uses her .243W with 100 gr. Nosler Partititions but she will tell you a .30-06 is a superior deer rifle.

And that is the conclusion I came to between my experiences, my Grandfather's, and a relative of mine who killed his first 30 some odd deer with a 243 but now hunts them with a 7mm Mag.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Todd_Bradford
If you can't kill a deer with a .243 and the right bullet, you might need to get another activity.

I agree. Killed plenty of deer with a 243. Stick with bullets intended for deer sized game and learn to shoot your rifle. End of list.

but the story tellers never admit to a badly placed shot.....it's always the gun's fault.

I have helped on plenty of bloodtrails both gun and bow hunting where the shooter made a "good hit" only to eventually find the deer 400 yards away and "UH OH!" Surprise, surprise the hit was actually for complete s#*t. If that was the case in most of the long tracking jobs that ended with a recovered deer then I'm fairly certain that it was the case with the unrecovered ones as well.

Gut shot deer can go a long ways and be hard to find no matter what you shoot them with. It would be very rare IMHO if making a 30 caliber hole through a deers colon made it much easier to find compared to one with a 24 caliber hole in the same spot.

Isn't part of the sportsmanship component of hunting knowing when not to squeeze the trigger?

If the target is at a range that is beyond the ability of the shooter and/or the shooter's equipment, it is probably a shot that should never have been taken.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
But when you make a good shot and the caliber doesn't preform as it should, everyone who likes the caliber blames something else.. Good shot placement is very important, but using an adequate caliber and bullet is also important.. If shot placement were all that counts, a .22 short should be enough..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have seen deer shot from everything from a .223 to a .300 Remington Ultra Mag. The cartridges I have seen the most are the .243, .25-06 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, and .300 Win Mag. I would group the first two together as far as "on game effect" and same with the last three.

I think the .243 with the 80 TTSX/85 TSX is a fine deer rifle. As others have said it is not the most powerful rifle in the woods but if you put the bullet where it needs to go it won't disappoint. I don't see a lot of difference in it and the .25-06 on Antelope, WT or Mule Deer.

I do think bullet selection is important and I am a big fan of Barnes bullets. I have not used a partition in either but would not hesitate to do so. Load the Barnes .05 off the lands to start and run them hard, you won't be disappointed. At extended ranges (300+ yards) there is not a lot of power left but it will still do the job. It wont perform like a .30-06, but it doesn't kick like one either.

Isaiah 6:8

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by okie john
As I get older and have less interest in recoil, I'm looking harder and harder at the 243. I just read the thread about using the 243 on white tail deer, and it seems like some folks are pretty sold on it with heavy bullets.

I can figure out the rifle part of things, but from an ammo standpoint, what does it take to ruin your chances with a 243 on deer? I know that shot placement matters and that I shouldn't use a bullet that's too light, but what else could go wrong?

Okie John

I have two 243's that have accounted for 14 elk with 100 gr NPt's. It's not about the cartridge, it's about the bullet.

Mule Deer once posted "Shoot them in the front half". I'll add, shoot them in the front half with enough bullet.

If or when my light 270's are more recoil than I like in my old age, a 243 or 243 AI will be my primary pronghorn, deer, elk, bear, and brontosaurus rifle...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

....Good shot placement is very important, but using an adequate caliber and bullet is also important.. If shot placement were all that counts, a .22 short should be enough..

YEP ! People understand that principle but....

Few will agree or own up to it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[align:left][/align]Bullets are just better now days. I use 100 grain SGK in my .243. It kills well if I do my part. I've killed hogs with it DRT at 50-100 yards.

There's also another option. I have a .250 Savage I had built on a Howa 1500 Action a few years back. Actually it isn't really a build, more a rebarrel. I put a Krieger 1:9 twist SS 26" barrel on it and it shoots bug holes. I've killed a hog with it at 120 yards with 115 grain Combined Technologies Ballistic tips. My EX wife killed a deer with it but at only about 40 yards. That's all it's been shot at. I usually hunt with my .270, .280, or .30-06. I also have a .257 AI I like too. But I love that .250 Savage. Minimal recoil and accurate. With 115 grain bullets over 39 grains of RL-17 at 2900 chronographed FPS its really in a different class than a .243.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/23/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For the past 20 years of hunting deer, my wife and i have mainly used 7mm cartridges (wsm, 284 win, 7-08). The past 3 seasons I've switched to a 243, and have taken 3 pretty nice, mature mid-MO bucks with live weights over 200 pounds. All three had short runs of 30-40 yards, before they expired. The deer reaction upon being hit and the terminal performance has been indistinguishable from that of the 7mm rounds. This was using a 95 gr BT for the last two, and 100 gr PT for the first one. Good bullet, good location, good eatin'.

Last edited by bludog; 01/23/20.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But when you make a good shot and the caliber doesn't preform as it should, everyone who likes the caliber blames something else.. Good shot placement is very important, but using an adequate caliber and bullet is also important.. If shot placement were all that counts, a .22 short should be enough..

+1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I don;t know that anyone has claimed that shot placement is all that counts.

I would agree that an adequate bullet is an important part of the equation, but the caliber less so if common sense is engaged.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by okie john
As I get older and have less interest in recoil, I'm looking harder and harder at the 243. I just read the thread about using the 243 on white tail deer, and it seems like some folks are pretty sold on it with heavy bullets.

I can figure out the rifle part of things, but from an ammo standpoint, what does it take to ruin your chances with a 243 on deer? I know that shot placement matters and that I shouldn't use a bullet that's too light, but what else could go wrong?

Okie John

I have two 243's that have accounted for 14 elk with 100 gr NPt's. It's not about the cartridge, it's about the bullet.

Mule Deer once posted "Shoot them in the front half". I'll add, shoot them in the front half with enough bullet.

If or when my light 270's are more recoil than I like in my old age, a 243 or 243 AI will be my primary pronghorn, deer, elk, bear, and brontosaurus rifle...........

Ha! "Shoot them in the front half"....with a tough bullet. Pretty simple.

I don't think anyone here is mistaking the power of a .243 for that of a 30-06. Certainly few if any are chasin grizzly on purpose with one. But a funny guy over on greybeard once told a story of a guy he knew or met down in Carolina, or thereabouts, that shot a big black bear with a 243. And he said when he asked him why he used a 243 to shoot that big black bear with, the guy just looked at him like he had two heads and said, " Cuz that's what I got."

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently the .243's appropriateness for deer has been a topic ever since the cartridge appeared in 1955. I didn't use one until 1974, after getting a hell of a deal on an almost-new Remington 700 BDL. Back then I was doing a lot of deer hunting, and eventually took 16 deer with that rifle, along with a couple of pronghorns, before starting to "experiment" with other rounds.

When my then new wife Eileen started hunting in the mid-80s, she used a .257 Roberts belonging to my grandmother, then a .270 Winchester we bought, because Eileen also wanted to hunt elk. (She's since taken one elk quite handily with the .257, but that's another subject.)

By the time she started suffering from recoil headaches a decade or so ago, she knew the .243 was often denigrated as a "women and kids" round, so didn't want one. But then we got invited on a fallow deer cull in Ireland, and the rifle she was assigned was a Heym bolt-action .243. She killed several deer, and discovered it worked well, without giving her a headache.

A few years later I purchased a nifty little Husqvarna .243 on the Campfire Classifieds, just because it was a good deal. When it showed up Eileen liked it so much, she started hunting with the Husky. A couple years later she dropped the biggest-bodied whitetail she's ever taken with one shot at around 100 yards, using the 100-grain Nosler Partition at around 2900 fps. The buck was tracking does at last light, and since she didn't want to track him in the dark, put the bullet through the shoulders and spine. This caused the buck to drop right there, and the little Partition even exited.

[Linked Image]

In the meantime I ended up taking quite a few more deer with the .243 in recent years, due to some deer culling in various places on hunts sponsored by various manufacturers, using their rifles and ammo. Used the same shoulder/spine shot placement to kill quite a few, some even with cup-and-core factory loads, with no problem.

We have also both taken several pronghorns with the .243 at longer ranges, though none that I can recall beyond 400 yards. Though we have taken a bunch with similar rounds at 350-450, including the .257 Roberts.

Neither of us have had any problems with the .243 on deer, and between our rifles and borrowed rifles have taken quite a few over the decades.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a healthy buck right there. Any idea how much he weighed JB?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7

243s are for women and children, adult male's can't kill anything with .243, not enough gun. Rio7

That's why I took the big jump up to the 257Roberts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my little 223 suppressor fit on my kimber montana 243, yet another perk.
farthest shots I've made on game were 438 on a big mule deer buck this past fall, an antelope at 350 and an elk at 525 ish (I don't remember the exact yardage off hand but it was around 525 if not a hair over). all with the 95 NBT. I don't fault anyone for needing a bigger rifle, then again I don't drive a bigger truck than I need to either.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sakoluvr,

If I recall correctly, 198 field-dressed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Two of the best hunters who I've known were both women and both of them hunted deer with 243s.

Harriet McCarthy shot a Winchester 88 Carbine and Thelma LaHaye shot a Remington 600 Mohawk. Both of them were still-hunters and swore by Johnson Woolen Mills green/black buffalo plaid "camo", this was back before medium game firearms hunters were required to wear blaze orange clothing.

I don't have any idea what sort of ammunition they used, probably 100 grain factory loads since it was common knowledge back in the late 1960's that any 6MM bullet weighing less than 100 grains was inadequate for killing deer. Remington/Peters loaded a couple of 90 grain bullets suitable for shooting medium game for the 244, but they failed to sway public opinion against the 244. When my Father bought a Remington 660 in 6MM for me, he bought all of the 90 grain Bronze Point 244 ammo that he could find, as he thought that was a better medium game bullet than the 100 grain bullet that Remington loaded in the 6MM ammo. I don't know why or how he came to that decision, but I shot a few whitetails with that ammo and a quite a few 'chucks with the 90 grain PSP bullet. 50 years later I still have the 660 and a few boxes of both kinds of old 90 grain Peters 244 ammo.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.