Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by centershot
Getting kind of bored with modern rifles and fretting to take a group from 3/4" to 1/2". Seems like just about any quality modern bolt rifle will turn in a 1" 3 shot group with a decent scope and ammo and with a little reloading often pretty easy to shrink that. Seems I spend considerable time getting set up to shoot 400 yards and usually shoot my deer at under 200. So with that in mind I'm considering taking a step or two back and trying some single shot rifles with open/peep sights.

I have an itch for something like a Winchester 1885 Traditional hunter in a classic caliber like 38-55. 45-70 seems to be the standard but it would be nice to have something a bit smaller and more economical as well as less punishing to shoot. A Sharps is not off the table but I think I'd rather have something of reasonable weight where I could actually pack it for a deer in the fall as well as have fun plinking with it during the spring and summer. Some of the 1885's, Rolling Blocks and Sharps etc. I have seen have been chambered in 45Colt or 44-40 - those may be fun. I don't think I want to go the BP route but it would be nice to keep as an option.

Cost is a hurdle in this possible effort. There does not seem to be many options to test the waters economically. So I'm asking around before I jump in the deep end.

Anyone else been down this road? What did you discover? Pitfalls? Worth doing or am I nuts?

It is entirely possible that it's the middle of winter and I'm bored and daydreaming about guns again.............

I'm way late to this..

But I found this civil war musket issued to NJ troops. Had been bored to smoothbore after the war. I have all the modern stuff but I bought this for fun. .62 bore basically. Patched round balls. No rear sight. Deadly on deer/pigs out to about 40 yards as is. IF it goes off which it doesn't always do. Just would like to find someone that could make the ignition right. I shoot shot charges in it at times too.

Nuts. Nope. Just having fun.

We have shot game with just about anything you can think of short of a spear. And I"ve tried that on pigs but they were not bayed up, we were stalking, I don't throw fast enough evidently... And thats from spitting distances and we have gear and have done game to almost 1000 yards too. All exciting in their own ways.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S A W E E T , ! Rifle, Elk, & Pic

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
....Rolling Blocks and Sharps etc. I have seen have been chambered in 45Colt or 44-40 - those may be fun..........

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/8/16/review-taylor-s-co-half-pint-sharps-44-40-win/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Little baby Sharps is cute.

Can I resist? The Shadow knows.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got a Ruger No. 3 in 45-70 for this very reason. I'll shoot it with open sights.....and my loads will not be on the heavy side!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Most of the rifles I have are "obsolete" in many modern shooter's eyes. I just like the feel and look of older rifles. I had to shoot M16s every year for qualifications and I never did like them or their civilian cousins the AR platform. They shoot OK, but I just hate the way they feel and the big BOING that travels from my jaw up to my ears. Give me wood and steel any day. Some of the most fun I have had shooting as a younger fellow, was with an old single shot .22. It makes you slow down and pay attention.....not to mention ammo seems to last longer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Traded a LAW 300 Win and a couple of junkers for a 1952 MS Super Deluxe in 30/06 today. I am starting to feel comfortable with myself.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Thanks fellas. I wish I had more time to shoot them. Like I said earlier I would be loading cast bullits for them. I’m off this morning to mend fences.

Bob, if you run out of 100+ year old fence to mend - come on up ! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a couple of oldsters I hang on to for various reasons, the most important part being they make me smile.

Grandad's first gun, purchased sometime in the first decade of the last century. 1890 Winchester chambered in .22 WRF. Functions flawlessly and when my eyes settle down it shoots better than I would have anticipated.

Another is a Marlin 1894, originally chambered in .25-20 Marlin but in serious need of a new bore. Had it relined and chambered in .25-20 Win.

Has a copper piece inlaid on the stock with the original owner's name and it does just dandy, even with the leaf sight and old eyes..

Put a Lyman tang sight on it for grins and set down on the 100 yard butt, just to see.....the target says 1st shot, which is true, but overlooks the fact it was the first two shots.

I'd rather be lucky that good, 7 days a week.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn good stuff there Dan.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
One of my favorite pics of one of my favorite rigs!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And an old wore out Oberndorf sporter

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, all wore out....gotcha.

When I get back to the 'puter I'll put one up made when men were iron and ships were wood.

I am..........disturbed.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Yep, all wore out....gotcha.

When I get back to the 'puter I'll put one up made when men were iron and ships were wood.

And wimmens looked like Olive Oyl! Ahhh I remember them daze!

Memories

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jwall

S A W E E T , ! Rifle, Elk, & Pic

Jerry

Agreed Jerry!!!! That’s as good as it gets!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My oldest rifle, built in Cornish, NH by David Hall Hilliard sometime around 1865-70 is my best guess. .50 caliber 16" twist that wore a scope from day 1. I'm of the thought the scope is not original, but don't know the maker. Shoots well enough that it took 2nd place at a match held in Cody, WY back in 2011 in a 10g20 full value crosswind against a group of shooters with far more experience than I have with guns of this sort.

Cross strip patches for the bullet third from the right.

The target from that match

If you look closely you might see some similarity of style between this one and the tools used by the damn Yankee snipers.

I am..........disturbed.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: I am old and I remember when 1/2" groups were VERY rare from factory guns!
That changed when Remington came along with their Model 700 BDL Varmint guns! I think that was in 1967 and from then on "accuracy" was "easier".
Nope, I am a "modern Rifle nut"!
And always will be - first love in that classification is of "Varmint" Rifles.
I find no fault in your inclination to try something else, in fact, it is most likely a good thing - for you.
Good luck and enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I am dulled by speak of 1/2 moa rifles these days.
I am older also and remember when we accurized what we had, bedding compounds were messy and you could get into trouble with not adequate release agent etc.
There was a definite learning protocol.
These days even the economy rifles shoot well, kinda dull and you learn zero.
You gotta earn your stripes, imo.Try accurizing a levergun or the temperamental Ruger #1.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DD that rifle is cool as chitt

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 44mc
DD that rifle is cool as chitt

Yeah! What 44 said!!!

Yes I heard of Mr. Hilliard. Quite the maker!

Founder

WS

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.