Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How do they know it was a kid. That version of people might have been much smaller.

Last edited by WTF; 01/24/20.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by sawbuck
If this were true, why haven't they found ancient dog food factories?

Of course I know you're joking, as the very notion of commercial dog food is only about a hundred years old. Prior to that, dogs just ate scraps from butchers (mainly bones), wild game processing scraps, and what was left of what folks prepared for themselves to eat (table and kitchen scraps), supplemented by whatever the dogs could catch in the yard.

We kept the native's names for the types of salmon here.
Chinook, Soceye, Coho, pink (ok we made that one up) and Chum.

Chum are numerous and pretty easy to catch but they degrade pretty quickly when they hit fresh water to spawn.
Chum translation = dog salmon

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not saying its not possible hell i have a fox in my house, just saying you can't come to a conclusion from 26000 yr old tracks.

May hap man and dog relation began just like you and fox. They found very young ones and raised them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It’s not the first time I’ve heard of the man and dog evolution going back that far. Back in 91 when I was a USAF MWD handler I had read about dogs separating from wolves to coexist with humans back when they were hunter gatherers. I don’t recall what evidence they had but I do remember hearing about it that long ago and dogs being the first domesticated animal and that they were “self domesticated “. Also heard that the fact that their digestive system being able to break down complex carbohydrates and other starchy foods somehow speaks for a certain amount of evolution that can date the relationship back several thousand years.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Imagine the 1st guy that patted one that finally came in from outta the dark around a campfire 10,s of 1000,s yrs ago for a peice of meat out of his hand.

Imagine the wolf/dog overcoming its instinct to do that.

Or stuff along those lines.....

Instead of being competitors
Both started working together.
Strengths of each multiplied by working together.

Deal was sealed .....
2 species that evolved together.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I am amused when ever I read suppositions of how wolves and humans came to bond together.

People are people and have always been people. The brain was a little smaller, and language and arts less refined, but they were people still. Even 40 or 50 thousand years ago.

You wanna know how humans and wolves came to live together, ask stxhunter and his little fox.

When people actually live IN the environment, they coexisted with the animals. Not like Disney. Like raw nature. Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.

But in every case folks like little cuddly babies. They pick them up at any opportunity. They kill the mothers and carry the baby back to the village.

Heck, when we were kids on the farm we had little wild life around. But still we managed to catch several baby skunks and dig up a couple fox dens over the years. The foxes lived in a kennel outside for several years and subsisted on feral cats tossed their way. So they never became semi domesticated like Roger's has.

But you know, in a hunter/gatherer society, someone is going to stumble across a litter of baby wolves playing outside the den one day. Or they are going to catch the momma wolf in a snare and eat her. Or they are going to catch a pup in a snare and drag it home. But every few years someone is going to capture one and take it home to his lady companion or his kids. Perhaps if young enough, the pup might have even been reared on human breast milk. And with hundreds and hundreds of tribes living alongside wolves in disparate portions of the globe for tens of thousands of years, there had to be thousands of wolf pups captured and domesticated and even eaten over the millenia.

I do not understand where all the mystery or romance comes from?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salty303
Most of the natives had dogs around these parts. I don't think they'd be all lovey dovey about them like we are but they coexisted and benefited from each other.

A some years ago when they discovered the feral Carolina Yellow Dog or “Carolina Dingo” folks leapt to the conclusion it hadda be some sort of Indian dog, genetic testing showed different, just a feral Euro dog after several feral generations.

There was a popular assumption that Indian dogs had to be wolf-life (completely ignoring the existence of chihuahuas) as if a largely unbiddable and independent dog would be of any use at all in the woods. Worse, in hostile country such a dog could give your presence away and possibly get you killed.

You prob’ly already know about the Tahltan Bear Dog, a knee-high Indian breed resembling a short-tailed spitz type, and reportedly a fine companion dog in the woods. Sadly extinct, likely due to disease. A fate which apparently befell a number of native dog types..

Less well known is the fact that in Eighteenth Century accounts and portraits of the Iroquois and other Eastern Tribes, similar dogs to the bear dog in size and appearance appear, often a single dog sitting or standing (no leash) close by its presumed master.

IIRC one account from Canada had this sort of dog ranging about forty yards out front of an Iroquois hunting party, much as one might expect a American rat terrier to do today.

I’m on a iPhone right now, but if you google up Southwestern Indian dog mummy, you’ll see an image of one lop-eared medium sized brown and white dog that could pass for a modern spaniel. No idea if that one retrieved.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
So???
Why did not the kids or dogs tracks get washed away by rain, snow, sleet......wind?
I mean.....sometimes I can’t find tracks left from a day earlier....much less a week, month, year....26,000 years..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WTF
How do they know it was a kid. That version of people might have been much smaller.

They may have ridden wolves to Walmart.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Because it was way, way back in the rear of a cave.

The better question is: Why was it wet enough for the tracks to be formed in the first place. Perhaps it was the urinal/lavatory?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
Imagine the 1st guy that patted one that finally came in from outta the dark around a campfire 10,s of 1000,s yrs ago for a peice of meat out of his hand.

Imagine the wolf/dog overcoming its instinct to do that.

Or stuff along those lines.....

Instead of being competitors
Both started working together.
Strengths of each multiplied by working together.

Deal was sealed .....
2 species that evolved together.

this

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Peckerheads like dippy above

Made jest at me when I was pumped up about seeing the movie "Alpha" about a yr or so ago.
LMFAO!!!!!
laugh laugh laugh

No reason to insult Salty there cheesebreath.

At the time of that movie a suggestion was made by a cool guy here that you go find an injured adult wolf and bring it home. Why it’ll be a wonder dog in no time at all 😎

Actually even wolf pups grow up into horrible pets, turns out when they get to be around two years of age THEY wanna be the Alpha. And there’s that whole issue of killing your neighbors’ kids on account of they are from rival packs.

Essentially a good dog is a retarded wolf that, at around age two, doesn’t suddenly try to kill you in order to become the Alpha.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Oh ye of little faith.

There was a well at the back of the cave, the kid fell in. Lah Seh the wolfdog went for help and invented barking.

That is funny, I don't care who you are.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

The better question is: Why was it wet enough for the tracks to be formed in the first place. Perhaps it was the urinal/lavatory?

Or perhaps natural water seepage through rock strata.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tom264
So???
Why did not the kids or dogs tracks get washed away by rain, snow, sleet......wind?
I mean.....sometimes I can’t find tracks left from a day earlier....much less a week, month, year....26,000 years..

Makes total sense man really excellent purely fact based observation.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Peckerheads like dippy above

Made jest at me when I was pumped up about seeing the movie "Alpha" about a yr or so ago.
LMFAO!!!!!
laugh laugh laugh

No reason to insult Salty there cheesebreath.

At the time of that movie a suggestion was made by a cool guy here that you go find an injured adult wolf and bring it home. Why it’ll be a wonder dog in no time at all 😎

Actually even wolf pups grow up into horrible pets, turns out when they get to be around two years of age THEY wanna be the Alpha. And there’s that whole issue of killing your neighbors’ kids on account of they are from rival packs.

Essentially a good dog is a retarded wolf that, at around age two, doesn’t suddenly try to kill you in order to become the Alpha.

Then you keep talking.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
People tend to make pets of things, most anything, always have, especially if it’s a baby.

Just by chance someone adopted a retarded wolf puppy ( no insults please).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
People tend to make pets of things, most anything, always have, especially if it’s a baby.

Before or after the eyes are open?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Scientists make some giant assumptions based on a tiny bit of data

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
that kid and that dog grew up together him on one tit and the dog on the other.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,152
Posts18,465,058
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.