Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
Sunny hill's aluminum bottom metal requires your mag box to be cut and its two pieces bolted together. For the price they want Indont think it's a good deal given the two points mentioned above.

What’s the best option out there for lightweight 70 BM?

Semper Fi
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by BWalker
Sunny hill's aluminum bottom metal requires your mag box to be cut and its two pieces bolted together. For the price they want Indont think it's a good deal given the two points mentioned above.

What’s the best option out there for lightweight 70 BM?

PT&G... the trigger guard and floor plate should be re-contoured, then you’ve got something (as long as the inlets for the actions screws are not machined too deeply). In several cases it took 6 mo’s and several returns to get one that was machined correctly.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Pt&g aluminium is the lightest most cost effective I’ve come across.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just got my Sunny hill. Lighter than the ptg. Fits the McMillan Sunnyhill inlet perfectly, but the opening for the trigger isn’t wide enough to fit my factory trigger. Not on this gun or any of my umpteen other Winchester 70’s.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
Just got my Sunny hill. Lighter than the ptg. Fits the McMillan Sunnyhill inlet perfectly, but the opening for the trigger isn’t wide enough to fit my factory trigger. Not on this gun or any of my umpteen other Winchester 70’s.

Can you post a picture of what you mean, please?

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by McCray
Same "foot print" but the quality of the PTG bottom metal is a crapshoot. After the stainless one I bought, I won't buy another.

I have heard about the PTG crapshoot before...can you elaborate on the issues you encountered with their bottom metal?

I’ve had several PT&G units where the inletting for the forward action screw was too deep... you’d snug up the screw and bind the bolt! Their solution was to cut the screw... my solution to them was machine the damn things consistently.

That co just sucks... the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.

that last line, sort of sums up what most rifle folks think of them locally, here in the Rogue Valley..

they are located here, over in White City...

on the other hand, I've taken stuff over there directly, and they have taken the time to find something that fit what I needed at the time...

Dave Kiff the owner, has a reputation of being kind of screwy....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by jkinpa
Originally Posted by BeardHunter

Can you post a picture of what you mean, please?

I just posted a pic comparing the Sunnyhill vs the ptg in the image gallery. The opening in the bottom metal for the trigger shoe is too narrow. It isn’t as obvious in the photo I posted up because the ptg is black anodized.

An easy fix, but taking a file to a $460 trigger guard kind of pisses me off. ....and I just discovered how to add a photo.

Attached Images
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It’s a two minute fix with a mill....but still. I will more than likely take a spare trigger and narrow it before I take a file to my bottom metal.

Last edited by BeardHunter; 02/04/20.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
You mentioned that it is lighter than the PTG. Can you tell us the weight?

I agree with you; you shouldn't have to file a $460 part that was made specifically for the application.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sunny 2oz.
Ptg 2.5 oz.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is involved with cutting the mag box to fit the Sunny Hill? What is that all about?

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Read that post earlier....doesn’t have to be done with their non drop box bottom metal. And not so sure that it has to be done on the drop box metal but I’ve never installed one so can’t say for sure.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Got an email from Sunnyhill. Apparently this is how the guards are designed. In all fairness I found the included instructions which state they leave it narrow as most people (their words) like the narrower trigger shoe of the pre64. They will mill the slot larger for no charge. Just a heads up if you go that route.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for all of the information, updates and explanation, BeardHunter.
Very helpful, sir.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What McMillan stocks are those in the pictures, thanks!

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The stock with the PTG unit is a Compact Hunter's Edge. The one with the William's unit is a Supergrade Edge.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Is this the one I’d need for a New Haven Model 70 Classic short action?

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/511-short-action-winchester-bottom-metal.html

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by efw
Is this the one I’d need for a New Haven Model 70 Classic short action?

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/511-short-action-winchester-bottom-metal.html

As long as it’s going into a stock inlet for 1 piece bottom metal.

And I would order from Midway long before I would order direct.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not sure if this is a viable option, but current BACO bottom metal has a one-piece trigger guard, made of aluminum, and has a steel floor plate. Don't know if "Winchester" / Browning / FN will sell just the bottom metal. It is not all aluminum nor steel, but a combination. Perhaps it is light enough. Maybe someone is selling their BACO Win 70 bottom metal after replacing it with something else. Ebay?

Just a thought. Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
617 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,828 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.