Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Lots of metal above the firing pin tunnel for a couple of 6x48 holes. I used an XS aperture on my 405. Good elk killer.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I made one almost exactly that way for a man in 35 Whelen a few years back. It turned out very nice and he is in love with the rifle.
So a 9.3X62 should be just as easy. Happy hinting and post your kills for us all.
smile

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Haverluk,
Not much new with it. Waiting for spring to go after bear by dog team before snow goes rotten. I haven't used 400 grainers. I'm not sure they'd be necessary for any North American game, probably more fitting to Africa. I like a smidgen more velocity.

I finally did pull that ugly, blocky peep sight with 14 individual parts. Repurposed the peep and affixed it directly to the rail. I had to file it shorter, to clear the scope. All that is left, is to cut checkering. My gunsmith buddy will loan me the tools.

Before America copied the mauser design, this was John Browning's last lever gun design, to bring the levergun into the modern era of high power/high pressure-smokless powder chamberings. As a scout carbine launching 41 caliber spitzers bullets @ 2400 fps, I've enjoyed pushing that envelope a little further into 2019. I see that Winchester has brought back the 95 into production. With the severe lack of asscerories for this rifle, I hope that will change soon. As I go after bear with this little powerhouse, I hope to relay my observations or even loan the thing to Winchester for consideration of a factory available/special edition. All too often, these product development guys and gun magazine idiots conjure up things that that abuse the word "Alaskan". Some of the offerings are laughable and this is frustrating for me and probably many others. Very rarely do they refer to an actual Alaskan it seems. All too often, these marginal men haven't a clue about Alaska, other than an occasional jaunt during the fairest time of the year: August-Setember to promote their silly concoctions.

My appologies If that rant offended anyone. I don't like writing negative or rude things. Anyhow, here is that change to the back-up iron sights:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Did you need to tap the barrel for adding the blr scout rail?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Mainer,,,,,, Check this out, or maybe you already have,,,,
LJ cool

Attached Images
Capture.jpg (21.25 KB, 985 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good looking rifle and hard to find.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Everything about it was unnecessary impulse.

grin I just cam't imagine doing that! grin

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mainer,
Thank you for the link; I had not previously seen it.

Very nice project- it will hunt as is without any more pretty.
My 1886 .45-90 is as plain as they come, but has killed critters from Blackbuck to Cape buff and elephant.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
The .41 caliber is up to the biggest task with 300 or 400 grain bullets.

Of course a little checkering does give you a better grip:
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

As you may know I have stuck with the .405 WCF and just used bullets from 210 grain to 300 or 400 grains appropriate to the game.
I have a friend in Australia that has a scout scope on his 1895 .405 WCF and hes has taken all the big critters down under, buff and others in Africa, and water buff , elk, and exotics on ranches here in Tex. I have fired it on the range and is a nice combo.

Looks like you have a real winner. Please be sure to post pix of big stuff that you take with it.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
" haven't used 400 grainers. I'm not sure they'd be necessary for any North American game, probably more fitting to Africa. I like a smidgen more velocity."

You are correct; I have dropped big water buff with one 300 grain North Fork at 2250 fps with my .405. Mike Brady has loaded his NF 300 grain bullets to 2400 in his 1895 .405. I just kept my 300 grain velocities compatible with Hornady factory velocity so as not to have to adjust sights.

The only reason I used the 400 grain Woodie for Africa was my best hunting buddy talked me into it. It seemed to exactly match the velocity of his 450/400 with which he and his clients had taken ele and Cape buff. That project delayed my hunt a year, but it was a success. Now, I want to go back and do the same thing with 300 grain North Forks.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good evening crshelton, thanks for sharring and will do. You sure do have some good adventures with your leverguns!

Had an unfortunate adventure right before the hunt season up here:

When sighting in the back up peep sight all was well. Was hitting square on the bullseye at 100 yds. I then attached the scope to the scout rail. First shot, the rail, rings and scope sheared off the barrel as one solid unit. It hit me square in the forhead and continued flying rearward ah good distance. After I gathered my thoughts and scope I walked to the target. That shot hit square in the bullseye. What ah tease!

I drilled and tapped for the three supplied 6-48 screws. Not enough. Ive since received an assortment of heat treated 8-40 screws, the 8-40 fillister head reamer and 8-40 end tap. Tim to double-down with 6 8-40 screws.

I've learned an unfortunate lesson that the mighty 41 calibers might violently remind your cranium that 6-48 screws are a silly idea.

Just finished reading my first Jack O'Connor book. I chuckled when he gripped about "dinky little 6-48 screws" inherited from receiver sights".

Other random observations: In this 1968 book, he was sporting a model 94 winchester with a forward mounted 2x leupold in quick release rings.

In my June 1966 Gun & Ammo mag, Elmer Keith wrote up a superb Article on a model 600 350 rem mag carbine fitted with a Redfield 2x forward mounted optic/mount combo.

Before this scout name became trend, it was well received, before the concept had a name.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Finally got the rifle shouldering right. In between high-end rifle builds, finally caught my neighbor in the gun shop to get the stock fitting me during his down time.

I went with an ultralight Cervellati recoil pad at .6in thick. It weighed 2 ounces and was tall enough to take the extra 1.5 inch increase on the comb height. The rear of the rifle was heavy, this changed the balance. It now shoulders faster. I put on my parka, and found 13 inch length of pull to be ideal. You'll find these recoil pads on blazers and berretas:

https://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=60

The comb was raised with a spare piece of curly maple. Such a waste of a beautiful piece a wood on an ugly rifle.

After some minor sanding to fit the recoil pad and cheek countour, the fit is perfect. Now, I can close my eyes, shoulder the rifle, open my eyes and SEE down the dmn scope. The comb is perfect for the scout scope height.

He used fine German hand planers and massive German belt sander to get this rifle to have exact fit.

From the scout rail, to the rings, everything is now heat treated 8-40 torx screws. 6 on the rail and 8 on the rings. The Warne mountain tech rings already come equipped with 8-40's. Blue lock tite on every last one of em.

Now, I'm sewing up a custom scabbard for the 11.5 ft freight sled I built in late November. There is no room for a rifle in a sled when full of caribou and camp. It's not wise slinging a rifle while running boat, machine or dog team. I learned this the hard way. If rifle is not in my hand, it's in a scabbard.

Rifle can't overhang width of sled, or it will get damaged. Nothing longer than 38 inches will work. The gun is very close in dimensions to a pre 64 model 94. I'm making the scabbard from elk leather lined birch bark. I still have to refinish the stock. February 10th, I'm leaving for 30 days on the trail for winter caribou. This will be the gun I take. Almost dialed in.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
cartridge compared to a 458 win mag:

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That looks great! I'm excited to see how it shoots

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lookin good. When you taking it out hunting?

I just thought of a good reason for the wider stock - a good backup canoe paddle ! smile

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How come you didn’t go with a .416 diameter?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoulder/headspace issues with a .416 diameter?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Crshelton, yah we were joking about the canoe paddle thing. Also some other humorous moments: gunsmith shakes his head and says: this is so ugly it could get you kicked out of the guild.

When compared to a bell and carlson stock for a bolt action, recoil pads were the same height. It really spreads the recoil.

John,
Yah I went .410 over .416 because the 9.3 case is only .456 at the shoulder. Never had a head space issue and I don't even fire form. I neck up 9.3x62 brass and be done. Decided against 400 whelen as the cylindrical brass is insanely expensive.

Now I did go 416 caliber on another wildcat I developed off the 338 RCM case. Plenty of shoulder there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Every time I see a thread on 95 Winchester’s I start having these terrible thoughts on the original upstairs in the trophy room. It was made in 1922 and is all original in 30-06.
It was my grandfather’s saddle gun when he managed a sheep ranch in Wyoming back in the thirties and forties. In a little rough shape cosmetically but still functions fine although it needs to have the firing pin bushed.
I’ve thought about having it refurbished but should probably leave as is. It is coming onto its one hundredth birthday in a couple of years, I should try to kill something with it once more.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Tanker,
Its not surprising that your family heirloom was a scabbard gun of choice. Nobody but horsemen and dog mushers will have much use for a scabbard.

The thin design was a point of criticism in both my O'Connor and Keith books.

BUT, it has clear advatages as a scabbard gun. It's action is shorter than a short action bolt-gun, yet digests 30-06 sized cartridges.

With the width, length and protruding bolt handle, even my 9.3 carbine seems cumbersome and always in the way. It also doesn't fly out of a scabbard as quickly as a thin lever gun.

Optics wise, hunting caribou at 20-30 below, the slightest breath will fog the eyepiece lens. It's unsafe pulling the trigger while looking through fogged lenses: no clear crisp view of your target and beyond.

The forward mounted optic doesn't fog from your breath. When length of pull and comb be of precise fit to the shooter, it's faster than aligning open sights.

A scabbard scout would be ideal to the horseman as well

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mainer,
I here you on the handiness of a thin rifle in a saddle scabbard. My mother who is gone now, remembered her daddy referred to it as his “big gun” ..
I am not sure what others he had as I was pretty young when he passed and the few others were disbursed. This one came to me many years later from an uncle who wanted me to have it, much to the chagrin of a few others.
I have the rifle and also a picture of my grandfather with the rifle and a nice mule deer he shot with it. It’s dated 1928 but not sure on the location. I believe it is near Tensleep Wyoming.
Anyway, enough about mine. Yours is a wonderful rifle and all around setup. Very nicely done. Makes me contemplate more on doing one in 9.3x62.

Take care, Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.