Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
99guy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853538986

Does this gun belong to anybody here?

Every time I got ready to bid somebody beat me to my number, so I had to keep coming up with a new number only to get beat again. So I never even got in the game.

I don't think the winner paid too much for the gun, I just think he paid more than I wanted to spend.

It's a beautiful gun.

What do ya'll think?

Last edited by 99guy; 01/24/20. Reason: changed the link

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Man, a K with a sidemount. That was brutal to see.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I loved it. The G&H side mount is a definite plus and increased not decreased its value in my eyes. Someone got a superb example of the gunmakers art to my way of thinking.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Oops, I didn’t see this one when I posted the other one. Can’t believe people pay that much for Swiss Cheese?

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
All joking aside, I still like guns with vintage state of the art glass, and the mounts for them. If it had of been mowing season that one would be sitting next to my K with the Noske.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Could never get past the extra holes.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A brand new G&H mount from them will run you half the cost of what that sold for.

Doubt they sell many for 99s. grin

Gorgeous gun.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I cringed when I saw that. High end bubbafication.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
99guy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Man, a K with a sidemount. That was brutal to see.

Done very well and tatefully with that G&H. Top of the line in it's day. Not drilled with a drill press in somebodies garage.

I love that gun, I just couldn't pull the trigger (pun intended)

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You gotta look at it in terms of what it is, it's utility, not in terms of what it could be in terms of "collectibility". Bubba wasn't anywhere near that rifle.

Different strokes and all. I never pretended to be a collector. I'm a user, a shooter, and mostly enjoy doing that with vintage arms. "Collecting" is a wonderful thing but can lead to a certain narrow world view in regards to one's gunnery. Had I spent my energies and treasures on a single gun make and eschewed non-original stuff I would be much the poorer in my experiences. As more guns and accessories disappear into collections the fewer remain available to we "users" of modest means.

IC B3

99guy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You could put a scope on that gun and take it hunting without worrying about ruining a pristine example. That is the very thing that makes it appealing to me.

I don't own any guns I can't take hunting.

There is no wrong or right answer.

Everybody's has different reasons for owning the guns they own....

~Admiral Yamamoto~

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This week I bought a pristine original pre-war BSA Model 12 Martini .22 target rifle with Parker-Hale sights with diopter aperture. Since my plan is to use the thing in ASSRA 100 and 200 yard bench competition I had the gentleman who sold me the rifle go ahead and d/t the barrel and install a set of Steve Earle target scope blocks before shipping it to me. How else would I mount a Unertl or Fecker scope on it to attempt slopping 10 shots into a 3/4" circle at 100 yards or 1 1/2" at 200? Decreased its value? To a "collector", probably. To a fellow single shot target competitor, no, I increased its value.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
99guy_"Does this gun belong to anybody here?" I could only hope. frown If I was in a higher tax bracket it would of been mine. I like it, and like gnoahhh, I'm a shooter more than a collector. My interests are somewhat varied. I would prefer that it wasn't drilled for the side mount, but with the right scope, I would be proud to own it. It's period cool. cool

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I cringed when I saw that. High end bubbafication.

I understand your point. When I bought my K with the Noske side mount people said, "What A-hole would do that, even back then?".I don't think the guy that did it back then was an A-hole or Big Bubba. Considering a Noske cost twice what a Zeiss did, and the cost of a G&H, and the cost of the K to put it on, it wasn't a bafoon who ordered the gun.Some one that was well healed ordered the best over the counter gun, and put the best optics of the time on it. I've always wanted a 275 Rigby. If I ever hit the lottery I'd by one. Last I checked the were about $7000. I would consider sending it to G&H for optics. No, I wouldn't engrave it. That's why I see your point. But that's only because I've hung out with collectors for so long. A while back I thought of collecting a sub set of the high end Savages. Ones with state of the art optics, in their proprietary mounts, that have knocked the value down to what I can afford. Why doesn't anyone call my 1912 Malcolm a bubba special? It has a big hole in the receiver, and two in the barrel?

Edit: If anyone see's a K in 250 with period correct optics, please let me know.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 01/25/20.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
For the record, I'm a shooter too. Every firearm I own gets shot or hunted when they fit the bill for a given day. I don't have a bank account that allows for me to be a collector of fine pristine firearms, and so I am not.

Like has been said, to each his own. I'm having a problem making the distinction between a guy taking a generic piece of steel, making it into a mount and modifying a rifle to accept it. Him we call, Bubba, whether he uses a drill press or more pricise methods, for ruining the aesthetics of the firearm... collectible or not. But if Smendrake does the same thing in a historied, high end gun shop in the UK, with another piece of steel, this one displaying their exhalted logo, also destroying said aesthetics, that's considered firearm modification of the highest order. To me it's the same thing, no matter the mechanic's name. I would think the fine minds and talent at a long revered firearms establishment could have come up with a much more appealing alternative. Mike's elegant Lightfoot mount springs to mind.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/25/20.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a very interesting thread.
I like reading everyone's thoughts and opinions.
I'm 50-50 collector/hunter.
Shooting is my least favorite part of guns!
It's a means to the end for me.
I would have seriously considered that rifle at the right price to hunt with as a cool old vintage high end Savage.
I'd never consider drilling and tapping or adding sling studs or any other modification to a correct unmolested original old example.
But that's me!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
That's one of the reasons I got my K, no where the condition this one has, I can hunt it with no second thoughts. But, I'll hunt any of my guns with no second thoughts, I might just pick the day. Plus, I would never drill a gray rat, much less a pristine gun. I'm only saying that "I" like the vintage guns with vintage optics. The other reason I like my "bubbagun" K, is this bubba had good taste, he also carve my initials in the butt stock.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wouldn't pay much for it. Kinda like buying a Ferrari, and painting it with house paint .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't know about a 99,but it would cost $1000++ for a G&H mount today for a Schoenauer. 264 Win & 9.3x62 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kenster99
I wouldn't pay much for it. Kinda like buying a Ferrari, and painting it with house paint .

99 percent of the time I agree with you, but not with the gun Randy posted. The guy didn't wait 50 years for KMart to come into existence, buy a $12 dollar scope, and $4 dollar mounts, and a Black and Decker drill. That still doesn't explain why my Malcolm passes muster. I do have a letter stating my HP was sold to Malcolm in 1912, and there are several other 1899's that have lettered to Malcolm. I guess it's just splitting hairs. It either is, or it isn't. I guess if Savage sold the rifle to Malcolm it's "almost" factory. If there are no records of Savage selling rifles to G&H or Noske, it's bubba. I can live with that.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.