Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I started a thread a year or two ago about building my first AR. My local shop has cmmg, spikes, etc. what should I look for in a lower for a first time build. Have an acquaintance with all the tools.

Craig

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Buy whichever lower you like the best (I like the Spikes lowers) and get whatever lower parts kit your shop has in stock and add a Magpul stock and grip. Pick up a complete upper from Palmetto (you can have these shipped to your house) and put as many rounds through it as you can hunting, plinking, etc. You'll probably end up wanting several different purpose-driven guns down the road and you'll start to see what you like/don't like and need/don't need.

For a 1st/fun gun, this is a smokin' deal from Palmetto!

PSA 18" Rifle Length 223 Wylde 1/7 twist SS FF upper w/ Vortex 1-8x Strike Eagle

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Nebraska, that’s one of the psa options I was interested in. Are those vortex models any good?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
For the $$, they're great!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an Aero and it is nice and tight on their upper as well as some others.

I have some others that have no name that are just as tight but cheaper.

They all work and do their job.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I have an Aero and it is nice and tight on their upper as well as some others.

I have some others that have no name that are just as tight but cheaper.

They all work and do their job.

Yep.

Name on the side of a stripped lower makes very little difference. They are as close to a commodity as exists in the AR market.

I use the price of stripped lower as my barometer for the overall price level of the AR market.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most of the lowers you come across like antelope sniper says make very little difference..........and they are forged.
for a step up you can buy billet lowers that in some cases do make a difference. although I think billet uppers make a bigger difference.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Most of the lowers you come across like antelope sniper says make very little difference..........and they are forged.
for a step up you can buy billet lowers that in some cases do make a difference. although I think billet uppers make a bigger difference.
How do billet lowers make a difference sometimes?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by boatanchor
How do billet lowers make a difference sometimes?

Some gunsmiths will argue it makes a difference in fit if the upper and lower are a matched pair, but I have no actual experience with matched billet pairs. I imagine you have more relevant exposure in this area.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
A billet lower might have additional features like an adjusting screw to control the fit of the lower to the upper or an integrated trigger guard. The first might have some small impact on overall accuracy, the second is mostly cosmetic. Barrels are what make rifles accurate. A Crappy upper or lower might make a good barrel detectably worse, but the best billet set in the world will not make a bad barrel shoot.

I’ve never seen it, but I have heard tales of lowers that had the holes for the trigger pins drilled incorrectly or out of alignment. That would screw up trigger geometry and potentially contribute to poor accuracy. Aside from that, it’s hard to see how one lower could be significantly better than another.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Aero forged lowers have the tensioning screw for upper-lower fit. 75 bucks at the lgs. I see no need to buy anything else, personally.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by auk1124
Aero forged lowers have the tensioning screw for upper-lower fit. 75 bucks at the lgs. I see no need to buy anything else, personally.

This ^^^^^^^ great value for the money.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Craig2506
I started a thread a year or two ago about building my first AR. My local shop has cmmg, spikes, etc. what should I look for in a lower for a first time build. Have an acquaintance with all the tools.

Craig

What the hell has taken you so long? Got to be a interesting story !
Better be a woman that's occupied you this long grin

Last edited by deerstalker; 01/25/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
No good story....just spending my gun money on other projects 😬

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.