Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Might take my youngest this yr.
She seems interested.
21, but has screwed up shoulders so have to buy her an X bow.
And proly a ground blind.

Set her up where I shot my 2019 buck. Last week of early archery it should be dynamite (again).

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I am going to build a box stand to replace a ladder at one of my good spots. My son hunts there and manages to let all the deer see him out in the open.
One of my other places I am going to get a tripod to replace a ladder in a bulldozed lane. It will allow me to cover 300 yards in 2 directions as opposed to 200 one way and 100 in the other.
We are going to plant some wheat and clover next year too.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Plans for next year: kill a deer. Rifle, bow, truck. Don't matter the weapon.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Scout more. Hunting a property now that's much more difficult to hunt but has much better potential than my old place.

Also need to put some money into my bow. Needs new strings, rest (looking at a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter) and running low on arrows.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I picked a new rifle blind just to day, I think I know where I want to put it but that could change, there is a lot of time between now and then !!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Applying in both New Mexico and adjacent Arizona.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are redoing the layout of our property. It's a nice chunk of land ( just under 100 acres) but past owners set it up wrong, roads etc.

Just had it logged so now were gonna redo roads and anything else we can change to keep the deer in the middle.

Gonna burn alot of 2 stroke and diesel but in the next couple of years I'm hoping its good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've still got through 2/10.....grin....

Next year may be a bit different for me. I usually hunt mountain sides. Some of it's a bit of work to get to. Going to have a hip resurfaced later this year and "total" recovery for it is one year. I'm hoping to be able to make it up the rough stuff but if not I'll see what it's like to hunt ag fields a bit more....which means I'll spend a little more time with the fat rifles spinning dials over the summer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just to live long enough to see opening day. laugh laugh

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sit about 15' up a tree, freeze my balls off every day and wait on a big one that probably won't show up.

May actually settle on a small.one next year just to get it outta the way so I can go catch some crappie before the water hardens or it just gets to cold to be on the water.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Sit about 15' up a tree, freeze my balls off every day and wait on a big one that probably won't show up.

I'm going to Texas and hunt Axis in the WARM June weather. This post reminded me of why... laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best of luck.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I'm going to Texas and hunt Axis in the WARM June weather. This post reminded me of why... laugh

I am always torqued up opening morning but by about 10 oclock the second day I have second thoughts!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've still got through 2/10.....grin....

Next year may be a bit different for me. I usually hunt mountain sides. Some of it's a bit of work to get to. Going to have a hip resurfaced later this year and "total" recovery for it is one year. I'm hoping to be able to make it up the rough stuff but if not I'll see what it's like to hunt ag fields a bit more....which means I'll spend a little more time with the fat rifles spinning dials over the summer.
Good luck with the recovery. Sons baseball coach had a full hip replacement. Took him a bit to get going, but he's loving it now.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I'll be up on Eagle Mountain

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Gotta finish this season first. Still got 9 more days!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes. Kodiak for Blacktail. And elevation AZ for crossbow Coues.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Get my old 270 pillar bedded

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by hanco
What do you need to do to get ready for next year?

Get some guns ready to go. Which ones .. depends on what tags I get. Hunting public land, there are no feeders to mess with (it would be illegal to put them out here, considered baiting, and you'd lose your hunting privs for 5 years or so if caught), no hunting shack to maintain, nothing like that. Totally different hunting culture than the Southern US.

I expect it most likely that I'll draw the muzzleloader tag I put in for. It's a unit that I have hunted off and on for over 40 years. There are no roads I don't know about, no trails I don't know about, nothing new map-wise to figure out. I know it like the back of my hand. There is no real point in scouting ahead of time because the ML season hits just after the rut begins and everything we thought we learned about the deer in summer and early fall is thrown by the wayside when the rut kicks in. The bastards that stayed holed up within a 200 yard circle for 6 months vanish and reappear 5-6 miles away.

If I don't get the ML tag, then I need to work a bit more with my .308, chart out the drop at longer distance, stuff like that. The gun is fundamentally good. It shot a 1.34" 3 shot group at 320 yards last September and it gave me a 1.1" 200 yard group last weekend with a different scope. It has never moved 'cept when I adjusted the scope, not a quarter of an inch. I would like to stretch it out to 400, maybe 450, and chart how the drop tracks with the B&C crosshair so if I get some longer shooting potential (most of where I hunt is 75 yards or less but there are a couple interesting burns and I found a little water hole in one which is most intriguing early in the season) I'll be ready.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lots of rabbit, squirrel and turkey hunting, woodchuck killing and fishing to do between now and then. I'll wait till fall to start thinking about deer hunting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.