Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I done with using up most of our fridge space and dealing with the mess afterwards. We have 4 refrigerators that if temps are running in the 50’s like they have been the last few years “see global warming” I’m emptying them to hold elk meat until I can get to butchering them.

Now, before someone ask’s why don’t I butcher it as soon as I get home? The answer is, I like to let them hang for bit before carving. The other reason is I’m not done hunting. I’ve got pards to help get an elk with only a 4 day season. I prefer doing the knife work after the season ends, which wasn’t a problem until the last few years where temps have been Abby-Normal here. And, there isn’t any viable cold storage space in my locale. I’ve checked.

Here’s my solution...If you see holes in it-speak up, or better design ideas- let’s hear them.

I have a perfect spot for a new build next to my shop where all our game animals get taken. I measured off what I think would be perfect for my intended needs 12x16 with 8’ft. walls. I would install a roller rail/hook system on one side. Build some shelves and place a stainless steel Costco Gorilla Rack on the other side.

Floor will be concrete slab with a center drain and drainage pipe running underground. Run some electrical for lighting and cooling which would be an air conditioner.

Walls would be insulated and covered with a material I’m not sure what it’s called, but most cold storage places I’m been inside seem to all have it. It’s a dimple-textured sheet that looks to have seams that get covered. It doesn’t feel like stainless steel, more of a composite material, I’m guessing. I need the space to be water friendly, so I can blow it out with a hose for clean up.

I see one problem, maybe, with the air conditioner location. Ideally, I’m thinking setting it low on the wall would be the best play for cooling - but, possibly the worst placement when it comes to hosing out the space. I’m definitely not going to remove the cooling unit before I clean. Would I be ok mounting the cooling unit up high where it’s not likely to get wet?

Is my build out plan solid or missing key elements? I’m going for it this winter/early fall.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ideas, and solutions.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m planning to do the same thing myself here in Virginia. I was looking at framing and capping then spray foam insulating the whole works and cutting racks into hang meat.

I plan to have a small area right outside the cooler for cutting work as well.

Great topic. Thank you.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You might consider the prefab insulated wall panels.
If not I personally have thought about using the metal studs. you can get plastic in 4x8 sheets for a bit of wainscot or stainless.
Also, there are a few discussions on using a airconditioner- I think you will need a digital controller but they are fairly inexpensive.
I think up high is fine- you can always duct it down low.
Also you need a way to control humidity.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 01/25/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd keep an eye out for the prefab panels as well. They are usually water resistant and seal right, etc. My uncle just built one this fall, he set his up in the corner of his pole barn. One panel even had the proper door.

One thing I would think about is how to seal the floor drain. I was told a bunch of the cold can escape through the drain. I know of a slaughter house that has a big rubber stopper in the floor.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My first thought is that the air conditioner should be up high. Cold air falls and warm air rises. If you put the unit low, you'll have a hard time cooling the warm air up high.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I'd keep an eye out for the prefab panels as well. They are usually water resistant and seal right, etc. My uncle just built one this fall, he set his up in the corner of his pole barn. One panel even had the proper door.

One thing I would think about is how to seal the floor drain. I was told a bunch of the cold can escape through the drain. I know of a slaughter house that has a big rubber stopper in the floor.

Put a trap in the drain to keep the cold air in.

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Check this out. This might help you decide what size AC unit to get. It has specifications for how big of an air conditioner you need to cool a certain area. There also a video on how to install the AC unit. It looks like they have the AC unit up high.

https://www.storeitcold.com/build-it/ac-selection/

They also sell prefab boxes, but I'd build it yourself. They're only a cool $4200.00.

https://www.storeitcold.com/coolbot-walk-in-cooler/

Last edited by StoneCutter; 01/25/20.

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B, you’re welcome...It’s never been an issue until the last few years. We put two bulls down one morning in a rain storm. 10 hours later we’re out and headed home. The next night after getting back to the cabin from hunting, I noticed a slight smell coming off the hanging meat. We call it “Green Bone” I think it’s referred to as “Sour Bone” in most place. It’s were the meat doesn’t cool fast enough and starts to rot from the bone out.

It was all hands on deck breaking down those two elk and losing approximately 2”-3” inches of meat in some places because we had to cut the meat out far enough to no longer smell that rank sourness.

This years bull we broke down into chunks and put it in 4 refrigerators. Then I started on it properly on the 5th day. No issues obviously due to being refrigerated.

I just shot a depredation cow elk on Tuesday morning. The temperature inside the shop was *45 degrees. It took me until Thursday night to break the cow down and cut and trim out all the meat, making it ready for the butcher. I would have preferred to let the cow hang whole for 3 days, but my schedule required me to leave town Thursday night and not be returning until late Sunday night.

I felt I had best get on the elk rather then risk losing any or all the meat...A cold room fixes all of these problems.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
My first thought is that the air conditioner should be up high. Cold air falls and warm air rises. If you put the unit low, you'll have a hard time cooling the warm air up high.

SC,
Good Call! I was just explaining this to my way more intelligent wife then I and she said the A/C unit should go up high because cold air is heavier and will travel down. Hot air goes up...Duh!

Thanks for the information. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keystoneben

Ben,

No Shît????
Thank you! That I wouldn’t have thought of. 😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cinch,
Txt’d me and said I could pick up a small like new cargo container fairly cheap. Set it on a slab or gravel with concrete pillars. Stud out the inside, spray foam insulate it, wire it up and done...That’s a possibly way to fly...Beretzs, you listening?
😎

“Molon Labe”
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Mine is 10' x 10'. I used 2x6 walls with spray foam. Then another 1 1/2" foam on the outside and inside. Air conditioner is a 220 volt LG with a CoolBot controler. AC is up high. Insulate the heck out of it. I just left the Pink Foam as the interior wall finish

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My buddie's cooler,although a bit smaller ,the air conditioner sits up higher. He used a Cool-Bot Controller on the air conditioner

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Think about having a bin or tub with drain for ice. Like an old fashion ice box.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oklahunter
Think about having a bin or tub with drain for ice. Like an old fashion ice box.

What for? Sorry, I’m not tracking on this suggestion. More information, please 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The storeitcold site has all kinds of plans and ideas. Mount the a/c high to cool up top and let the cold air settle to the floor.

They recommend R25 for the walls. Pink insulation board is R-5 per inch. I used 2 layers of 2" and 1 layer of 1", offsetting the seams. My cooler is 8x8. I didn't use a floor drain but rather sloped the floor to the door so I can sweep water out.

A cooler will serve as a warm room in the winter as well as being a cooler the other 3 seasons. I put a small space heater in it to keep it about 40 to 45 in the winter. I store stuff like canned fruit, pesticides, and paint in there during the winter. Watermelons and cantaloupe will keep for a month or more at that temp. We ate the last watermelons in mid-Oct. this year.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
RC,
Appreciate the site information. Wife will use the space for same things as you’re doing as a secondary pantry for certain canned good and fruits, etc..

That was part of my sales pitch to her about building one...Grins 😬😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’m planning to do the same thing myself here in Virginia. I was looking at framing and capping then spray foam insulating the whole works and cutting racks into hang meat.

I plan to have a small area right outside the cooler for cutting work as well.

Great topic. Thank you.

Excellent topic. I am also going to do the same thing. I was just talking to a buddy about that yesterday. He let me hang my elk in his walk in cooler a few months ago. I will be using half of my garden shed, which is used for storage right now. Mine will be approx 10'x8'. Nothing fancy, but a very much needed commodity around here, as the cooler I used to use is no longer available. Finding a cooler around here is a major pain in the arse. I figured I'd build one, so I don't have to worry about it anymore... Indeed a great topic...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My little brother has a walk in cooler out of an old restaurant. Works like a charm. Everything gets hung for 10-21 days and man, since we’ve used that we’ve never had a bad piece of meat.

I’m about 450 miles away from him, so unless I’m hunting at home, I’m hosed to hang the meat in the hot, Virginia early season.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Cinch,
Txt’d me and said I could pick up a small like new cargo container fairly cheap. Set it on a slab or gravel with concrete pillars. Stud out the inside, spray foam insulate it, wire it up and done...That’s a possibly way to fly...Beretzs, you listening?
😎

Yes sir. Always keep my eyes open for one of the 1 Ton refrigerated truck bodies. They’d be plenty for what I need. I could build a shed around it to keep it looking nice.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.