Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just took mine outta the box 5 minutes ago. Scope looks and feels quality. My first experience with FFP reticle. Damn that thing is small, fine and faint looking at 3 power.
I bought the scope anticipating using it at longer ranges (500 yds) by dialing. This might take some getting used too. I think I understand the purpose is to keep reticle marks consistent across the power range for "on the fly" ranging adjustments? At shorter ranges, I shouldn't need the marks?
Do they make dial scopes in SFP? Wish me luck. Always been a shorter range, set it and forget it, Kentucky windage kinda guy.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by scottf270
Just took mine outta the box 5 minutes ago. Scope looks and feels quality. My first experience with FFP reticle. Damn that thing is small, fine and faint looking at 3 power.
I bought the scope anticipating using it at longer ranges (500 yds) by dialing. This might take some getting used too. I think I understand the purpose is to keep reticle marks consistent across the power range for "on the fly" ranging adjustments? At shorter ranges, I shouldn't need the marks?
Do they make dial scopes in SFP? Wish me luck. Always been a shorter range, set it and forget it, Kentucky windage kinda guy.

I was wondering how fine the reticle would be at low power, like 5 or 6?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The purpose of keeping the marks consistent across the power range is for much more than just estimating range. Holding off for wind drift, measuring the necessary correction for a miss, etc, are common applications of the reticle. You're correct that when you're on low power you won't need the marks, and the reticle appears like a simple duplex for point-and-shoot opportunities. They do make reliable dialing scopes in SFP, but that would be a step backwards for your intended use. The SWFA SS 3-9x is going to be more to your liking as a general hunting scope that is capable of making precise LR shots, while the non-illum. LRTS is more of a specialized scope for LR precision shooting in decent light, due to the fact that the "posts" in the reticle are a series of hash marks rather than bold, black posts like you see in the LRHS, so are more faint and difficult to see in poor light. The illuminated LRTS is closer to a general LR hunting scope than the non-illum version, but the non-illum LRTS is slightly better for precision shooting in good light, due to the center of the reticle being a little finer.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
You all and Doug are enablers....lol

9 pounds 2 oz as she sets....Will pickup some Butler Creeks as sportsmans tomorrow...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Damn nice looking setup Hiaring, Specs?

Seekins Havak 6.5 PRC. Warne Mnt Tac rings. Only thing I did was paint the green stock black. For a factory rifle this thing is almost as close to a custom as you can get (Custom Action, rock creek barrel, manners stock, timney - its also bedded as well as any custom rifle I have seen) Seekins did this one right.

Congrats Sir, damn nice piece, I cant wait to get started with my 6.5 Swede, bet it'll be a ladybug shooter for you.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Remington280

I was wondering how fine the reticle would be at low power, like 5 or 6?

Easy and clear to read at 3, 5 or 6X Remington, I like it.

Trump Won!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maybe it's just my 58 year old eyes!!!!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Same age, may be I eat more carrots! grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That reticle is fine with my aging eyes, but black markings on FDE for the elevation is not easy for me to see in low light. I do appreciate the large font, but white on black is a lot easier to see. I'm not to the point of carrying reading glasses, yet...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Scope arrived yesterday, mounted it on my Tikker superlite 7-08, total weight isn't bad at all. I'm very impressed with this scope so far. Excellent glass, wonderful eyebox and eye relief, what's not to like.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I tried to hold off on this but I couldn’t help myself.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Schaaf
I tried to hold off on this but I couldn’t help myself.

You got in under the wire, they only have a few left and after tomorrow if any remaining, they'll be back at $649 vs $599.

SD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You’re not the first guy to tell me that, and you wouldn’t be the first to send one back. wink

In ideal lighting conditions the image in the DMRII is great, but in mirage or anything less than perfect conditions, it’s like looking through a fish bowl full of water. The LRTS and even the $299 SWFA Classics do much better in poor lighting conditions. If the image works for you, you will be very happy because everything else about the scope is awesome. The DMRII Pro has all the same awesome features as the DMRII, but handles poor lighting conditions significantly better.

Hopefully you are happy with the DMRII! Let us know what you think after you have some use on it.

Funny that you mention the SWFA Classics. After getting the 3-12x LRTS I was thinking that I'd just as soon use the 10x MQ at 1/3 the price, but I feel very comfortable with the Classics and their limitations. The lower image quality, 5 mil/rev, and lack of zero stop don't bother me.

My buddy, however, struggles with the 10x MQ. He's tried several different rifles with that model and has a hard time using it. His vision is a not great, but does well with other low cost scopes.

Pretty sure Jordan and I have owned/been around a similar number samples of the DMRII & DMRII Pro. I'd echo his comments on them. I'd rather use a SS 10x than the DMRII, especially if mounted to maximize erector. OTH, the Pro I own is a great scope.

Hope yours works out for you. Look forward to your feedback.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Pretty sure Jordan and I have owned/been around a similar number samples of the DMRII & DMRII Pro. I'd echo his comments on them. I'd rather use a SS 10x than the DMRII, especially if mounted to maximize erector. OTH, the Pro I own is a great scope.

Neil exchanged my 3-12x LRTS for the DMR II. Should have it next week. I think he called me as soon as my return arrived, to complete the exchange. And the replacement DMR II was shipped promptly. Great service from Neil.

The PRO sounds awesome, especially if you can get a discount. A buddy bought one and loves it, even compared to his ATACR 5-25x. I had that ATACR for a few months, and I was very impressed. It smoked my LRTS 4.5-18 in terms of image quality, and I thought the LRTS was pretty good. I have not seen a PRO in person though.

I went DMR II to save a few bucks over the PRO, and to get the H59. The PRO is only available with the G3 and I'm actually not a fan of that reticle. After using the ATACR with Tremor, I found that I really liked that style of reticle. At first I thought it would be too cluttered, but really found that I liked it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just got my LRTS in the mail today.....I am impressed..Nice glass....Now if my new model 7 HS in 6.5 would get here.......

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Do they make dial scopes in SFP? Wish me luck. Always been a shorter range, set it and forget it, Kentucky windage kinda guy[b].[/b]

Me too, in fact I still am. Now days I mainly hunt. I very seldom shoot targets competitively and when I do it's very seldom at ranges over 200 yards because my gun range doesn't have the real estate for long range targets, though I wouldn't mind trying it. But I think it unethical to shoot at an animal much past 400 yards for me. Some people can pretty well do it out to 500 with out much problem. Actually 300 is pretty much my limit. All this hoopla about snipers has gotten everybody crazy. Yeah, I realize there's a lot of fancy equipment out there to help shoot real long range. But I leave that to target shooting. If I miss a paper bullseye at 600 yards or hell a thosand yards, so what? Regroup and try it again. Nothing hurt. But if I hit a trophy animal in the guts at 800 yards because even though I had the shot figured right but a sudden gust of breeze down range blew my bullet 12 inches off, and the animal runs 1000 yards and lays down and suffers for 10 hours before it dies, then that ain't ok. Then if it takes you two days to find the animal and the ambient temperature gets up in the 70s and the meat spoils, then that's a double booboo cacaroni. That's why I limit my range. Leave the 600-1000+ yard shots to the real snipers and F class and other guys in competition. Shooting game in the next zip code is no longer hunting.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/25/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

You got in under the wire, they only have a few left and after tomorrow if any remaining, they'll be back at $649 vs $599

That was exactly my thought. Kinda wish it was the LRHS instead but just couldn’t pass it up.

Last edited by Schaaf; 01/25/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just mounted a 3-12x44 LRHS on a 5lb semi custom model 7. With two piece steel bases and Sportsmatch rings, the total weight is 7lbs. Still a nice light package.
This is my first LRHS and I was shooting it yesterday. So far I’m very happy with it and looking forward to more shooting.

Last edited by mod7rem; 01/25/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
You’re not the first guy to tell me that, and you wouldn’t be the first to send one back. wink

In ideal lighting conditions the image in the DMRII is great, but in mirage or anything less than perfect conditions, it’s like looking through a fish bowl full of water. The LRTS and even the $299 SWFA Classics do much better in poor lighting conditions. If the image works for you, you will be very happy because everything else about the scope is awesome. The DMRII Pro has all the same awesome features as the DMRII, but handles poor lighting conditions significantly better.

Hopefully you are happy with the DMRII! Let us know what you think after you have some use on it.

Funny that you mention the SWFA Classics. After getting the 3-12x LRTS I was thinking that I'd just as soon use the 10x MQ at 1/3 the price, but I feel very comfortable with the Classics and their limitations. The lower image quality, 5 mil/rev, and lack of zero stop don't bother me.

My buddy, however, struggles with the 10x MQ. He's tried several different rifles with that model and has a hard time using it. His vision is a not great, but does well with other low cost scopes.

That's a very good point that I forgot to mention. A well-designed scope loses very little optical quality throughout it's range of erector travel. There is essentially no noticeable image degradation in the LRHS/LRTS and SWFA scopes when adjusting between the top and bottom of the range of erector travel. The DMRII, on the other hand, has a pretty decent image within about 5 MRAD above or below mechanical center on the erector, but as soon as you get beyond that, the image gets progressively worse. If mounting the scope so as to maximize available "up" on the elevation turret (aka as close to the bottom of the erector range as possible) the image is all but unusable. Kind of a silly design for a 34 mm-tubed scope that is meant for LR shooting. The Pro suffers from the same design flaw, but to a much lesser extent. The improved coatings on the lenses of the Pro must help somewhat to offset this design flaw that is more noticeable/pronounced in the DMRII (non-Pro). These observations are based on about half a dozen samples of the DMRII and 3-4 of the DMRII Pro.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Filaman
Do they make dial scopes in SFP? Wish me luck. Always been a shorter range, set it and forget it, Kentucky windage kinda guy[b].[/b]

Me too, in fact I still am. Now days I mainly hunt. I very seldom shoot targets competitively and when I do it's very seldom at ranges over 200 yards because my gun range doesn't have the real estate for long range targets, though I wouldn't mind trying it. But I think it unethical to shoot at an animal much past 400 yards for me. Some people can pretty well do it out to 500 with out much problem. Actually 300 is pretty much my limit. All this hoopla about snipers has gotten everybody crazy. Yeah, I realize there's a lot of fancy equipment out there to help shoot real long range. But I leave that to target shooting. If I miss a paper bullseye at 600 yards or hell a thosand yards, so what? Regroup and try it again. Nothing hurt. But if I hit a trophy animal in the guts at 800 yards because even though I had the shot figured right but a sudden gust of breeze down range blew my bullet 12 inches off, and the animal runs 1000 yards and lays down and suffers for 10 hours before it dies, then that ain't ok. Then if it takes you two days to find the animal and the ambient temperature gets up in the 70s and the meat spoils, then that's a double booboo cacaroni. That's why I limit my range. Leave the 600-1000+ yard shots to the real snipers and F class and other guys in competition. Shooting game in the next zip code is no longer hunting.

I'm not going to argue about the ethics of shooting an animal at XXX range (although this is purely a function of the abilities and skill of the shooter!), but let's say you take a shot at a BG animal at your self-imposed limit of 300-400 yards. You take the shot and for whatever reason the bullet hits a little off from your POA and lands in the guts. The critter runs off 300-350 yards and stops to look back at you. Broadside. The wounded critter is now standing still, broadside at 700 yards. Don't you think it's beneficial to be able to connect on that 700 yard shot and put the animal down?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I have the DMRII Pro on my primary match rifle, and have owned a few regular DMRII. The eyebox is very agreeable, but so is the EB on the LRTS/LRHS 3-12x, IMO. Both are so easy to work with that I haven't really noticed much of a difference between the two scopes, WRT EB, though the DMRII is slightly easier to get behind. But the optical difference is fairly remarkable in favour of the 3-12x. I've shot PRS-style matches with both, and I would take the DMRII Pro, then the LRTS 3-12x, with the DMRII non-Pro in third place, if I had to choose between the three for competition.

Thanks for the additional information Jordan. I'm going to give the DMR II a whirl anyway, to see if it's good enough for my needs in terms of image. If not, I'll send it back.

Yep.........I had a DMR II for about an hour........sent it back. Mirage was ridiculous and glass quality sucked past 14x.........and what Jordan is saying about image quality once you dial some inclination is spot on. Horrible scope design.

I'm not a huge fan of the LRTS either, but that's because I think it has "tunnel vision".

Personally, the 3-9x42 SWFA HD is optically better than LRTS or DMR II and very usuable from 4x-9x. Just my experience.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (35, 44mc, 2UP, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.