Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Hunt and fish in Wyoming. Hear an elk bugle. It's funny how some of the things we dream about doing, others take for granted.

I never took hearing an elk bugle for granted. It seemed I lived a life time to get that done. I remember being 50, one year after lung surgery. Back packed in with bro for 5 days. Laying under a nylon tarp, listening to something clicking in my lung when I inhaled. Hard to sleep.

Sat on a mountain ridge the next morning I had climbed hours ago before daylight. Seemed a lifetime since killing a bull with my bow. Nearly was, I guess. Feeling sorry for myself. Going to give up on rifle bull elk. Probably archery too.

Then I took off my grey brown old Stetson and thanked the Lord for just letting me be alive and able to sit up there and breath the sweet aspen/fir scented cool mountain air. Said Amen, put my hat on and then heard the heard bull bugle 200 yards away on a timbered ridge above Valleceto Lake. Took my hat off and said, Thank you Father in Heaven.

Put it on and went and called him a while and spooked the heard out when I got meaner sounding than I guess he liked. He made a funny call and cows came running into the evergreen thicket he was in and then they booked it. But I made a miraculous shot between two Aspen, by the grace of God when they showed themselves running through an Aspen draw heading to go over the rim.

It still took an hour and another miracle to find him, but I was 3rd time blessed with another miracle that morning after I gave up after finding no blood. I was really down then, thinking I had missed and hit an Aspen in the lilltle draw between me and them they had run across headed over the rim.

Sat down and rested, thanked the Lord for the chance and decided to try one more place in lower oakbrush on the way back to camp.

From low, to high and then low again.

But, by Gods Grace, there he lay, surrounded by thick oak brush, having peeled off from the herd.

I guess you could say I believe in prayers answered, and miracles, too. Yep, HIS and HIS Angels HE's had save me on many close calls and near missed have laid many miracles on me.

PTL. Thank you Father in Heaven.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/25/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish I'd gotten more time hunting with my dad the guys from our camp. The Olde Guarde, as we called them are all gone now. There was so much to learn from these good men, but that time has passed. We'll hunt together again some day Dad. This I promise.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I quit smoking in March of 81, I'd want to be on death's door. laugh

I quit in November of 1996. I grew tobacco from 1973 until 2000, so I wanted to support my crop, or at least that's how I'd justify smoking. Just laid them down, and walked away, actually pretty easy to quit.

Have to admit though, that a smoke with that first cup of coffee in the morning sure was good, and after a big meal, or when you were trying to calm your nerves. I smoked mostly Marlboro's, some Winston's, and a brand called Buck's that was on the market for a while. When I quit, I was smoking Winston Lights' and I still have the half a pack of them left that I had in my pocket when I laid them down. I kept them as a reminder of how my stupid I was to have spent all money on smoke, when I could have bought some cool guns instead.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Minus the hand-rolled coffin nail, I've done the rest of that, Wabi. Deer camp, campfire, camp vittles, and then a bit of sippin' whiskey. More than one season, actually. High up here in the Utah mountains, with the sky like velvet and the Milky Way as bright as a diamond necklace above, campfire sparks trying vainly to join the stars. Memories of it so pure that I have no desire to try to do it again - and possibly ruin it all.

Somedays? I'd genuinely like to look at you on the other side of the boat, reeling in wallies and smallies in Ontario.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Like this Rock? That is my good Canadian friend Keith. Not afraid I'd break out in a sermon when you are helpless to stop me? laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get myself a jet pack

Been hooked ever since San Andreas GTA

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
With all the things I'd still like to do, I'll say I've not been shorted out of anything. I thank the Good Lord for the life I've led, and a wonderful wife, and family.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm immune to sermons - already been hit by lightning. Twice.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm moving somewhere good when my 8th grader graduates. Don't know where that is, depends on several factors. But I'm going somewhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take her fishin'.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Shoot a charging cape buffalo or hippo at spitting distance with a big bore double rifle.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My retirement dream is to start duck hunting in northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan and follow the migration all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.
Load my camper on my truck, hook up my boat filled with deeks and load my dog up and live on the road for four or five months shooting ducks in two provinces and twelve states.
Then hang out on the Texas coast for a couple months and follow the Snow geese back north slaughtering them for a couple months.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Honestly catch a 1000 lb mako or tuna.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 21, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.