Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Shooting some guns that needed to be shot. Mostly a Colt kind of day with one S&W mixed in.

[Linked Image]

Needed to test drive the Officers Model Target. This was the first two cylinders, 12 rounds total. 15 Yards offhand. Really have to do something about the grips. Those little grips just don't fit my mitts. I have an old Pachmayr grip adapter that I'll give a try. if that doesn't work, I'll be shopping for grips.
[Linked Image]

Here's one I'm happy with. First 5 rounds out of a bullseye gun I put together...again 15 rounds offhand. I sold the Bob Day .22 Conversion unit off the Series 70 lower to a guy who used to work and shoot with Bob Day.
So I picked up a pre-Gold Cup NM top end that didn't fit my frame which allowed me to fit the slide, and barrel to the series 70 lower and it came out very nice. Absolutely zero play with the slide, and the Colt NM barrel fit up very well. This was the first 5 rounds out of the pistol. 5 Rounds of Federal aluminum case hardball...I was happy. Shot a little better with Fed 185 Grain Match, but not by much.
[Linked Image]

So that was my first trip to an indoor range in probably 20 years. I was SERIOUSLY struggling trying to see the front sights on most of the pistols, the lighting was just horrible. I could barely see the front sight on the Python. Just the combination of black on black and the front ramp on the Python just kinda disappeared. The S&W with the red ramp was MUCH better. I think I'll have to pick up a spare front sight for the Python and do a red ramp on it...Might help these aging eyes.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great shooting Kevin and a nice collection of pistols you've got there.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Need to do a little more tinkering on the Gold Cup. I assumed the lower was just good to go, but I noticed when I loaded the pistol and dropped the slide, the hammer dropped to half cock. I think the person who had this before me probably had the trigger dialed down a little too low. I'll pull the lower apart and take a look. It's off an old bullseye competition pistol, so who knows how many rounds that lower has had. I need to take a close look at the hammer & sear to make sure they're still good...Chances are I just need to add a touch more tension to the sear spring.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Was at an indoor range myself today with a friend...you did better than I did...

Like you could hardly see the front sight...had a FA 97 .41 Magnum, 1980 vintage S&W Model 57 and a Ruger 22/45 LITE...

Lots of fun though...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am fortunate. I live about 7 minutes from my indoor gun club. I can go shoot, unsupervised, anytime I want and often have the place to myself.

I'm glad you got to go shoot! Nice collection!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Was at an indoor range myself today with a friend...you did better than I did...

Like you could hardly see the front sight...had a FA 97 .41 Magnum, 1980 vintage S&W Model 57 and a Ruger 22/45 LITE...

Lots of fun though...

Bob

So I have to say... LOVE the Officer's Match. The whole revolver just oozes quality, and she really shoots! DA action isn't quite as smooth as the Python, but SA pull is a good deal better than the Python. It clearly out-shoot's my 617 but that's to be expected.

The Model 25 S&W left me very underwhelmed. It's in near mint condition, the price was oh-so-right, but it's a -5. And -5's are a bit notorious for lackluster accuracy. Probably not fair to compare it to what I was shooting today (Gold Cup, Python, OMT), but still, it was lacking. Could have been the ammo. It was cheap factory stuff, not my handloads.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When I was a commercial ammo loader I borrowed a 25-5 to develop high performance loads...as you said, accuracy was nothing to write home about...but I was able to get a Speer 200 grain Flying Ashtray running 1170 and the 225 HP at 1130.

The high point of the day was a stop to a gun store associated with the range but a few miles away... Lonely looking 1911 on the used shelf turned out to be a Super .38. Price was very reasonable for an older gun in decent condition. When the clerk turned the tag over and it read 1952 I just said "sold"...as that is my birth year and the same year as the Commander I was carrying...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...so a good day...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
pretty one

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like that Officers Model Target is a great shooter. Must of been fun day. That's a real nice group of handguns you have there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 72 invisible), 3,549 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.