Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The H&K USP-45 is often described as a tank of a gun. I wonder if it could hold up to .45 Super?

I believe so though I cannot, at this moment, recall where I read it. The fullsize Springfield XD will handle it, the Glock 21 and select 1911s. As with many things, it depends on who you ask.

Has anybody asked the manufacturers? What do they say?

The HK USP can handle 46 Super
The only modification that I had to do to mine was inreplace the magazine springs, other wise no modification was required

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
The H&K USP-45 is often described as a tank of a gun. I wonder if it could hold up to .45 Super?

I believe so though I cannot, at this moment, recall where I read it. The fullsize Springfield XD will handle it, the Glock 21 and select 1911s. As with many things, it depends on who you ask.

The only modification that I had to do to mine was inreplace the magazine springs, other wise no modification was required

How many rounds of Super have you put through it?

What about the Sig 220?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Someone at the other site claimed that H&K specifically approved .45 Super for the Model HK45, but that no mention of the .45 Super was made by H&K in regard to the USP-45. But he assumed the same would hold for both.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Someone at the other site claimed that H&K specifically approved .45 Super for the Model HK45, but that no mention of the .45 Super was made in regard to the USP-45. But he assumed the same would hold for both.

That's nice. When they put it on the side of the gun, I'l really sit up and take notice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or in the manual. That would mean something.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How many rounds of Super have you put through it?

What about the Sig 220?

I have no idea how many that I have fired through it. When I bought it which was used I asked Jack Huntingyon and he said that the HK USP would handle 45 Super without a problem just as it was

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Or in the manual. That would mean something.

When S&W came out with the .38/44 and the Heavy Duty and Outdoorsman designed and marked for it, Colt announced that their Official Police .38 would handle the new .38/44 load, which was just a super hot loaded .38 Special approaching what would later be called the .357 Magnum, but not quite. Anyway, it wasn't marked on the gun or in the manual, but Colt said it could handle it.

Not 100% relevant to our discussion, but just a side note that I was reminded of by this conversation.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I don’t remember what the bullet was but it was a Winchester load. I called him and he thinks it was the SXT load but couldn’t remember the bullet weight

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I have no idea how many that I have fired through it. When I bought it which was used I asked Jack Huntington and he said that the HK USP would handle 45 Super without a problem just as it was

Interesting.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by pacecars
I don’t remember what the bullet was but it was a Winchester load. I called him and he thinks it was the SXT load but couldn’t remember the bullet weight

Bullets will and do deflect on hard bone if hit at an angle.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sarge, would it be advisable to put in a stronger spring, or just as it is? Someone at that other site said he fired a bunch of .45 Super through his USP-45, but was concerned about how it felt like it was banging hard against the stop, so he installed a stronger spring.

I have no personal experience with the USP in 45 caliber.

I'd say a stronger recoil spring is a sensible addition in any pistol in which you're shooting substantially heavier than standard loads and where frame battering is a concern.

I can think of five deer I killed outright or finished with the 40 S&W using 165 or 180 grain Federal HST. It will shoot through the chest cavity behind the shoulders, shoot through it above, in through the hump of the shoulders and out through the sternum. Shot one straight across the shoulder joints and that bullet was recovered under the skin of the far side shoulder, looking like hell hammered on concrete. It's worth mentioning that all three were on the ground where they were hit or within 15 feet of there. I've head shot several others... usually full penetration and DRT instantly. No ricochets off the noggin...

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Sarge, would it be advisable to put in a stronger spring, or just as it is? Someone at that other site said he fired a bunch of .45 Super through his USP-45, but was concerned about how it felt like it was banging hard against the stop, so he installed a stronger spring.

I'd say a stronger recoil spring is a sensible addition in any pistol in which you're shooting substantially heavier than standard loads and where frame battering is a concern.

I can think of five deer I killed outright or finished with the 40 S&W using 165 or 180 grain Federal HST. It will shoot through the chest cavity behind the shoulders, shoot through it above, in through the hump of the shoulders and out through the sternum. Shot one straight across the shoulder joints and that bullet was recovered under the skin of the far side shoulder, looking like hell hammered on concrete. It's worth mentioning that all three were on the ground where they were hit or within 15 feet of there. I've head shot several others... usually full penetration and DRT instantly. No ricochets off the noggin...

If you put a stronger recoil spring in a HK USP then it will not run 45 ACP and sporadically run +P

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I have smaller hands and if I lived in a state with a 10rd mag law, I'd buy a G38 in 45GAP and call it good. It would be a 21st Century 45 Commander. Other than that, I wouldn't have a use for it.
PS--If every cartridge was popular, no cartridge would be popular...think about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you put a stronger recoil spring in a HK USP then it will not run 45 ACP and sporadically run +P

Now, that's interesting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There you go, Thanks JWP.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
https://www.snipercountry.com/10mm-vs-45-acp/
I know a couple guys that bought 10mm glocks over the last couple of years for bear defense while hiking/fishing. None of them have had to use them. Ive read some ballistic info on the 10mm. It looks like it has a slight advantage on paper. I also watched a show a couple years ago where they compared 45acp and 10mm in ballistic gel. The 10mm penetrated 6"+ deeper but it could have been bias. Who know who funded it and I cant remember what different ammo they used. I have faith in my xd 45 still though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimmyp
During the last decade or two we have seen the 45 gap, 357 sig, 5.7 x 28, 40SW, 10mm which have enjoyed limited popularity with some of them dying off (who has a 45gap these days?). Granted the 10mm still hangs on in the niche area of animal defense and hunting, the others have all either never gained significant popularity, or have lost significant popularity, everybody seems to go back to the 380, 38 special/357 mag, 9mm and 45ACP for CCW? Why do so many new handgun calibers fail to catch on?

I don't know how anybody could say the 40 S&W enjoyed "limited popularity". The .40 has been nothing less than wildly popular. The advent of better 9mm ammo may have trumped it a bit, but it will be a big seller for the foreseeable future due to the proliferation of fairly cheap guns and ammo for it.

The 10 was somewhat unsuccessful initially especially since the FBI adopted it and it still didn't go over big. Too much competition from the .40. It hung on and is still fairly popular. To a lesser extent, so has the 357. The 5-7 was almost moribund, but now Rooger has a platform...we'll see. The only one really dead is the GAP.

Personally, I never saw the need for any of these rounds. I've had a bunch of 10's and they just never stick. I resisted the 40 for a long time, but the ammo was so cheap and available that I got one. Then another. Then I got rid of both. Then I got another because I had ammo, brass, dies, bullets, etc. I use mine a lot, not because I'm in love with it, but because it's there. I don't like Glocks and I don't like Glocks in 40 the most. I've got a S&W M&P in .40 and it's just a gun. It's a good gun, but it isn't something precious like a JOHN MOSES BROWNING 45 AUTO COLT PISTOL.

Threads without pics are like War and Peace, but threads WITH pics are like a good Jonah Hex comic book...mo betta.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I should have said "some of them enjoying limited popularity" there is no doubt the 40SW is dying off, 40 caliber guns are almost impossible to sell these days in my neck of the woods, some folks taking half of what they paid for them in when the do sell. In my opinion the 40sw is slowly going away.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I should have said "some of them enjoying limited popularity" there is no doubt the 40SW is dying off, 40 caliber guns are almost impossible to sell these days in my neck of the woods, some folks taking half of what they paid for them in when the do sell. In my opinion the 40sw is slowly going away.

I doubt it. It's actually an excellent round in many ways. The reason for the sudden and dramatic price drop is that it has gone out of favor with law enforcement agencies, and there were so many in existence that were being replaced so suddenly, all at once, that market principles operated to drive the prices way down.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I doubt it. It's actually an excellent round in many ways. The reason for the sudden and dramatic price drop is that it has gone out of favor with law enforcement agencies, and there were so many in existence that were being replaces so suddenly, all at once, that market principles operated to drive the prices way down.
Agreed. In an instant, it could be back in favor with LE too. They love getting new equipment and are fickle in their choices. Many LE, especially the ones making decisions about equipment, are not gun folks. There was never any real reason to move to the .40 in the first place, nor was there any real reason to move away from it after doing so. The 10 was a fine choice for the FBI too. Just load it down or make recruits train until they were proficient.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,804
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.