P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yuck. Just yuck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mato means "bear" in one of the Native American tongues; forget which; maybe Lakota.

Interesting, but as a practical matter I'd rather have a nice FN, older Sako, CZ 550, etc. All of them are heavier than a lot of us are willing to tote these days.

The new Benelli is pretty dang oogly, and priced in the same ballpark as the Mauser M12, which ain't.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I thought it was Beretta that made the MAKO... given they are all under one umbrella and why in the name of God would one try to compete with Sako & Tikka... Stupidity ?

Good question since Beretta owns Benelli and Sako. I bet it has a sako barrel(just a hunch).

It has a lot of innovations and they think outside the box. Unfortunately the MSRP will kick them in the nutz.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Mato means "bear" in one of the Native American tongues; forget which; maybe Lakota.

Interesting, but as a practical matter I'd rather have a nice FN, older Sako, CZ 550, etc. All of them are heavier than a lot of us are willing to tote these days.

The new Benelli is pretty dang oogly, and priced in the same ballpark as the Mauser M12, which ain't.

What makes the Mauser M12 any better? Honest question.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Huh.
Not as bad as I might have thought, reading the responses before looking at the rifle.
Mechanically, it looks to have a few innovative type features. Whether they result in a better hunting rifle? Dunno.
My first thought when I looked at the box magazine was, "Holy crap that's going to be over a hundred to buy extra mags!"

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

For one thing, it's not as oogly as a warthog's azz.

Here, see for yourself:

https://www.mauser.com/en/

The M18 is a good solid rifle. The M12 is nicer. The M03 is very nice, and very expensive.

Prices in GB are all over the place, but EuroOptic has a couple for $900. The .300 WM is really nice.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/25/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Huh.
Not as bad as I might have thought, reading the responses before looking at the rifle.
Mechanically, it looks to have a few innovative type features. Whether they result in a better hunting rifle? Dunno.
My first thought when I looked at the box magazine was, "Holy crap that's going to be over a hundred to buy extra mags!"

Magazine boxes will be an eye opening experience for sure.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

For one thing, it's not as oogly as a warthog's azz.

Here, see for yourself:

https://www.mauser.com/en/

The M18 is a good solid rifle. The M12 is nicer. The M03 is very nice, and very expensive.

Prices in GB are all over the place, but EuroOptic has a couple for $900. The .300 WM is really nice.

Other then looks what makes it better?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The looks alone take the Lupo off the table for me. I suppose they felt they needed to make its appearance so "distinctive" to separate it from the crowd, but it's just bizzare to my eye. I see no wood options, and cartridge choice is limited to .30/06, .300 WM, and .270. Have to wait for some real reviews for hard data on its function.

The M12 and less expensive M18 reportedly have really excellent triggers and are good shooters. Check out the Fieldsports Channel episode on the M18 for an extended LR test.

Did you look at the Mauser site? The M12 is a modern rifle, but the quality is very evident. They also offer a manual-cocking option for those who like that. The stocks have attractive lines, and the wood options are nice.

Benelli makes good stuff, and probably the best auto shotgun action ever. Why they have to make so many of them so fuggin' ugly is a mystery. My son briefly owned a very nice 20ga that was really nice, so I know they can do it.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The looks alone take the Lupo off the table for me. I suppose they felt they needed to make its appearance so "distinctive" to separate it from the crowd, but it's just bizzare to my eye. I see no wood options, and cartridge choice is limited to .30/06, .300 WM, and .270. Have to wait for some real reviews for hard data on its function.

The M12 and less expensive M18 reportedly have really excellent triggers and are good shooters. Check out the Fieldsports Channel episode on the M18 for an extended LR test.

Did you look at the Mauser site? The M12 is a modern rifle, but the quality is very evident. They also offer a manual-cocking option for those who like that. The stocks have attractive lines, and the wood options are nice.

Benelli makes good stuff, and probably the best auto shotgun action ever. Why they have to make so many of them so fuggin' ugly is a mystery. My son briefly owned a very nice 20ga that was really nice, so I know they can do it.

I would have to shoot and handle both before I said something. The only thing I will say is it is innovative, the stock is definitely an out of the box design and the price tag is a killjoy.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting, really like the stock adjustment features. Nothing better than shooting a rifle that fits.

Was thinking that maybe it would be chambered in 9.3x62, but not to be. I am all set in the 270, 30-06 and 300 dept.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a bit more detail about that I liked about the rifle.

-For starters, the ergonomics were excellent-- controls were in all the right places. In a week's worth of hunting, I never had to think about anything other than making the shot, despite the rifle being relatively new for me.

-The recoil reduction feature in the stock actually works, my rifle was chambered in 30-06 and it recoiled more like a 7mm-08.

-I think we had eight rifles on the trip, all with Steiner H4Xi 3-12x56mm scopes. After 48 hours of road and air travel, every one of the rifles/scopes maintained their zeros from the U.S. That impressed me. All the rifles shot sub-MOA.

-The bolt body is relieved at the rear to allow the magazine to sit higher in the receiver, making the whole thing more compact. The shooter can load the DBM from the ejection port, just as one would an internal magazine; nice for adding ammo on the move when following-up an animal.

-We used Hornady Outfitter 180-grain GMX loads, these were absolute hammers. We shot everything from impala to roan, from 30 or so to 400 yards and every bullet recovered looked like it came out of an ad.

Like I said, not my up of tea in terms of appearance but the rifle really grew on me as I used it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Here's a bit more detail about that I liked about the rifle.

-For starters, the ergonomics were excellent-- controls were in all the right places. In a week's worth of hunting, I never had to think about anything other than making the shot, despite the rifle being relatively new for me.

-The recoil reduction feature in the stock actually works, my rifle was chambered in 30-06 and it recoiled more like a 7mm-08.

-I think we had eight rifles on the trip, all with Steiner H4Xi 3-12x56mm scopes. After 48 hours of road and air travel, every one of the rifles/scopes maintained their zeros from the U.S. That impressed me. All the rifles shot sub-MOA.

-The bolt body is relieved at the rear to allow the magazine to sit higher in the receiver, making the whole thing more compact. The shooter can load the DBM from the ejection port, just as one would an internal magazine; nice for adding ammo on the move when following-up an animal.

-We used Hornady Outfitter 180-grain GMX loads, these were absolute hammers. We shot everything from impala to roan, from 30 or so to 400 yards and every bullet recovered looked like it came out of an ad.

Like I said, not my up of tea in terms of appearance but the rifle really grew on me as I used it.

Being a Benelli Slut I would like to try one out. That said I am not crazy about the R1, I like this design more then the R1.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's an objective review. Thanks.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Maybe. Depends on who paid for the hunt, including the gear. He doesn't say, so we don't know.

Not pickin', just being realistic. Matters not to me in any way what people buy or hunt with.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Maybe. Depends on who paid for the hunt, including the gear. He doesn't say, so we don't know.

Not pickin', just being realistic. Matters not to me in any way what people buy or hunt with.

No secret: they paid for the hunt. Now, I’m not saying I can’t be bought, but it would take more than a plains game safari to get me to lie. Stone sheep? Maybe.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’m okay with the looks. It’s the barrel length and twist that bums me out. Then the price tag is the plane crash.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

No secret: they paid for the hunt. Now, I’m not saying I can’t be bought, but it would take more than a plains game safari to get me to lie. Stone sheep? Maybe.

Didn't mean to imply any dishonesty at all, only that someone who's been treated generously by a company is naturally disposed to portray their product in a positive way, especially if their only quibble is a matter of personal taste. I've no doubt the Lupo is a quality rifle. Whether or not it's a good fit for the American market remains to be seen. One SHOT video said it would be out in July.

I would lie like a congressman for a Stone myself, or even a big hunk of backstrap.🐏

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Didn't mean to imply any dishonesty at all, only that someone who's been treated generously by a company is naturally disposed to portray their product in a positive way, especially if their only quibble is a matter of personal taste. I've no doubt the Lupo is a quality rifle. Whether or not it's a good fit for the American market remains to be seen. One SHOT video said it would be out in July.

I would lie like a congressman for a Stone myself, or even a big hunk of backstrap.🐏

I have no doubts the Lupo is reliable and accurate, But it’s really ugly. And the stock looks overly complicated.

It’s one thing to buy a rifle that’s accurate and ugly and cheap. It’s another to buy a rifle that’s accurate and ugly and really expensive.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
783 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 3,183 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.