Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a couple 6x42’s and like the scopes a lot. Mine have the LRD in them and work well for my hunting. I’ve shaken one loose on a 7 Mag but the 6x36’s have not given up on me as of yet.

I do have the latest 6x42 on a 375 Improved but it’ll probably get swapped over to a 6x36. Both of them work well with the LRD with a little work with a ballistics reticle to shoot deer and elk.

Semper Fi
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

350 yards last fall. I have 2 with the LRD reticle and 1 with the Heavy Duplex. My longest shot with is 385 with a Leupold 6x36 with LRD and the glass in the 6x42 is just a touch better.

As for low light, clarity, etc it’s very good. Not as good as some higher end scopes, meaning I can’t see bullet holes really well at even 100 yards at the range. But for hunting I wouldn’t pass on a 400-500 yard shot depending on conditions because of the scope (I might pass for a list of other reasons).

If you are going to use it to dial I would get a different scope. I haven’t had any problems with mine staying set but a bud killed one, and they don’t dial exceptionally. For set and forget on a 308 I think you would be good to go.

Is that walnut? That gun is niiiice!

You can lead a horse...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Musicianized
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

350 yards last fall. I have 2 with the LRD reticle and 1 with the Heavy Duplex. My longest shot with is 385 with a Leupold 6x36 with LRD and the glass in the 6x42 is just a touch better.

As for low light, clarity, etc it’s very good. Not as good as some higher end scopes, meaning I can’t see bullet holes really well at even 100 yards at the range. But for hunting I wouldn’t pass on a 400-500 yard shot depending on conditions because of the scope (I might pass for a list of other reasons).

If you are going to use it to dial I would get a different scope. I haven’t had any problems with mine staying set but a bud killed one, and they don’t dial exceptionally. For set and forget on a 308 I think you would be good to go.

Is that walnut? That gun is niiiice!

Thanks! Yes, wood blank from Roger Vardy. He’s in Australia so I guess Australian walnut? My gunsmith called it French walnut but I’m no expert on the varieties.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is one of my favorite scopes. It is only slightly better than the 6x36 but the 42mm has never let me down. It is a toss up for me between the 2.5x8x and the 6x but I will usually pick the 6x 9 times out of ten. There is a bit more brightness to the 42 over the 36 and I like the standard duplex more than the wide. If I purchase another, which I will, it will be with the CDS, Boone and Crockett, or German #4 depending on what is available.

On a light rifle this is a match made in heaven. I enjoy my alpha optic scopes but for a using scope this one will not leave you lacking much if anything. I might chose something different for night hunting hogs but then I would go with a thermal scope.

Joel, love that stock, who did it?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dr. Death;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the last weekend of January treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

While I'm cognizant it's a sample of one, I've used a 6x42 on my .308 Norma since 2009.

This was the first animal taken with it on that particular rifle - I believe it's the 4th scope, 3rd stock and 2nd barrel by the way.
[Linked Image]

Over the next couple years, I ended up hunting that same area and while it wasn't needed for whitetail, the rifle somehow turned out to be one of those "lucky" ones that ended up with me getting something when I was carrying it.

This was a couple years later.
[Linked Image]

While I check it for zero every year, I've more or less quit shooting it other than sighting in and hunting with it. I'm not sure that I've moved anything on it since that buck was killed in 2012 - I don't believe so actually.

Anyway, if you like the "set and forget" sort of setup in a hunting rig, then I've had absolutely no issues with mine in that regard. I don't recall it moving any better or worse than the rest of the Leupolds in the safe - which is to say certainly not easily always, but once there it seems to be happy.

In particular, I find it useful in low light conditions.

Hopefully that was useful information for you or someone out there. Good luck whichever way you decide and all the best to you this year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I’ll grab the 223AI with a M8 6x42 on it 9 times outta 10. Light weight and does well in low light. If it’s too late with an M8 you’d be guessin anyways. Just a point of reference, I have a Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 propped up right next to it...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Tejano
This is one of my favorite scopes. It is only slightly better than the 6x36 but the 42mm has never let me down. It is a toss up for me between the 2.5x8x and the 6x but I will usually pick the 6x 9 times out of ten. There is a bit more brightness to the 42 over the 36 and I like the standard duplex more than the wide. If I purchase another, which I will, it will be with the CDS, Boone and Crockett, or German #4 depending on what is available.

On a light rifle this is a match made in heaven. I enjoy my alpha optic scopes but for a using scope this one will not leave you lacking much if anything. I might chose something different for night hunting hogs but then I would go with a thermal scope.

Joel, love that stock, who did it?

Thanks! All metal and stock work by Kevin Weaver. Great work, highly recommend. What I appreciate most about the stock is the shape. Some cast off, canted butt section comfortable to shoulder.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Most of my hunting rifles wear 6x42s and I've about as many M8s as I have the newer models. I do not prefer the wide duplex in the newer models, but otherwise I've found them alike in the field. I have other scopes that are better at certain tasks, but for hunting I just keep using 6x42 Leupolds.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
746 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 84 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.