Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

DOH!

Thank God I did some reading before I bought a bunch ... LOL..

Got my order in to make home made Bacon & Sausage ... finally...

bacon wise -
1) DQ Curing Salt (pink salt) - from butcher & packer supply
2) Dextrose (instead of sugar) - from sausage maker supply

Sausage wise

1). 21mm Sheep casing for breakfast sausage
2). 32mm hog casings for dinner sausage
3). 5lbs of hi-temp cheddar cheese (diced)
4). AC leg sausage mix (7 different kinds)
Maple breakfast sausage, Jalepeno snack sticks, sweet Italian sausage, chirizo, Brauts,..

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use Morton Tender Quick

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

The wife got me the Charcuterie book by Brian Polcyn (kind of famous guy, even I have heard of him)...
So I’m learning how it all works, and just bought some pork bellies to make bacon... now I need the right salt, ...

The book basically says Kosher Salt / Sugar and 1/10 sodium nitrate salts (pink salt).

The DQ Curing salt 1 is what the pro’s use... it’s 6.5% sodium nitrate 93.x salt...

Either way .. this should be a heck of a lot better than factory bacon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, that Himalayan pink salt is probably gonna get somebody killed being labeled like that as someone may eat “real” pink salt, not knowing the difference. I keep curing salt locked away.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

DOH!

Thank God I did some reading before I bought a bunch ... LOL..

Got my order in to make home made Bacon & Sausage ... finally...

bacon wise -
1) DQ Curing Salt (pink salt) - from butcher & packer supply
2) Dextrose (instead of sugar) - from sausage maker supply

Sausage wise

1). 21mm Sheep casing for breakfast sausage
2). 32mm hog casings for dinner sausage
3). 5lbs of hi-temp cheddar cheese (diced)
4). AC leg sausage mix (7 different kinds)
Maple breakfast sausage, Jalepeno snack sticks, sweet Italian sausage, chirizo, Brauts,..

OK! You're ready to do SOMETHING. I would strongly suggest either bacon or breakfast sausage as a first go. Maple bacon is easy. 1 tsp curing salt, 3TSP canning salt, A teaspoon or two of pepper, 3 Tbsp dark brown sugar and 1/2 to 1 cup real maple syrup. Take a hunk of pork belly that fits in a gallon Zip-Loc Mix the ingredients and warm in a microwave. Add them to the bacon on the Zip-Loc and turn daily for 10 days then smoke to 155 internal temp.

While the bacon is curing, look for pork shoulder on sale. Cut the shoulder into chunks that will fit in the grinder. Weigh out out. A Taylor 33 lb digital scale is good. I mix the weighed seasoning before the first grind, run it through the coarse late then regrind through the fine plate. !/2 to 1 cup of real maple syrup is really good for breakfast sausage too. Form into balls a little smaller than a tennis ball. Lay the balls out on a copper grilling mat on a cookie sheet then freeze before vacuum packing. DO NOT fry the breakfast sausage. It will scorch the sugars. Form into two patties/ball and bake on tin foil until they are a nice pretty brown.

When you're happy with your process THEN start with the wild meat. Pork you can buy cheap easily, venison, not so much. Venison mixed about 1/2 and 1/2 with pork shoulder Makes outstanding snack stix, brats and polish.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Miles -that’s why I went with dextrose vs. using sugar - I’m hoping I can’t fry the stuff I make... I’m a newb, but will learn fast

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i1198.photobucket.com][/img]

Just remember people show up from everywhere once they find out you make bacon. 😁

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

DAAAAAAAMMMMMNNNNNN. That looks good

What kind of smoke do you guys use...

I have hickory (thinking that’s the best), Apple (should be good too), Cherry and Alder (for fish)

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/24/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago chipped up my own Mostly hickory with apple maple butternut cherry oak

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Not fond of hickory.

I like apple and cherry. Have some pecan I have tried. Liked it better than hickory.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I’ll try the Apple first... Yum !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly Hickory, or Apple, usually add some Cherry.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Miles -that’s why I went with dextrose vs. using sugar - I’m hoping I can’t fry the stuff I make... I’m a newb, but will learn fast

If you are going to use good maple syrup it will scorch. I have access to a lot of maple syrup here and it is available at reasonable prices. I still prefer not to scorch it.

Almost all seasoning mixes have sugar in them. A lot have dextrose to reduce scorching. If you want REAL maple flavor you gotta use REAL maple syrup and be careful about cooking it. It is worth the effort.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
My wife likes the farmland pepper bacon, so I’ll make some of that as well - at least I won’t have to worry about scorching as much with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.