Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Would the membership mind giving me some advice on a large enough storage container for shotgun shells, rifle shells and rimfire ammo that I want to safely secure and lock away from small grandkids when they visit. My wife and the grandkids parents have asked us about in-house gun safety and right now the guns are all in gun cabinets locked with cables through the trigger guards and wire ties around, levers, bolts and hammers but my ammo is in a converted old stereo system cabinet with a glass door and unlockable. My research has found several gun cabinets steel and lockable with some shelves for ammo but nothing dedicated to just ammo storage. The closest thing I have found that could work is a 3 drawer nightstand that I could somehow lock myself. All comments, suggestions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I've taught my grandkids to not touch any ammunition, firearms, knives (other than eating utensils), tools, etc without me or my wife being present. If they wish to see whatever has their attention closer, they merely have to ask and one of us will show it to them and help them to handle it safely or show them how it works. This seems to take a lot of the mystique out of potentially hazardous objects as well as teaching them manners, educating them on proper handling of an object, and how it is used. The item then becomes a non- interest for all intents and purposes as the kid's curiosity is sated.

If there was some unusual situation that this would not work then I probably would put a lock on the room door and lock it up and keep the key with me. This will work if the kid(s) are always under supervision and you always remember to lock the door after leaving but such things seem to backfire. Denying entry tends to pique a kid's interest and they will make every attempt to gain entry. They can be very resourceful and unrelenting in their attempts. Locking things up never worked on me as I always got entry to places long before I was given permission.

If one can't lock the door, then a locking file cabinet would work well. One can usually find them pretty cheaply at a second hand store, ad, or even word of mouth. One does not need anything special to keep ammo in.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I put an exterior door knob with a lock on the room mine was stored in. Sorry, kids, you can't go in there, have fun in the rest of the house.

Might not work in your situation.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always kept my loaded ammo in .50 cal ammo cans out of sight in the garage, Up to 50,000 rounds at times. Thats a lot of cans! With no problems.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I store mine in a 20mm ammo can
Holds a lot of boxes and has worked for years, many years!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Buy one of the small 8 gun locking cabinets from Stack On or Homak. Around $100 and you can fill it with a lot of ammo. Other option is a surplus 4 or 5 drawer locking file cabinet. I bought two 5 drawer ones with key locks last year off eBay for local pickup for $30 for tool storage in my garage. Commercial grade and very well built and gently used.

Last edited by shawlerbrook; 09/05/18.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use a metal 2 door cabinet like you see used in an office. 50 caliber ammo cans and MTM plastic boxes stack in it pretty well.

lightman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought off of Craigslist a number of gym lockers. I have ammo stored by caliber and grain weight in each locker. It makes it easy find exactly what I want without the hassle of going through all of my ammo each locker box is locked with a gun lock. Keys are kept in another part of the house.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I keep all my ammo, powder, and primers in a gutted out refrigerator that I put a hasp/lock on. The insulation keeps those large temperature swings down. The refrigerator is out in a small barn that I use to keep my mule drawn carriage and wagons in.Guns and smaller amount of ammo is in my gun safe.
No kids here,so loaded defense firearms are in bedroom and beside outside door

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've taught my grandkids to not touch any ammunition, firearms, knives (other than eating utensils), tools, etc without me or my wife being present.

A graduate school mate of mine uttered similar language once about his two kids when we had a reunion at his ranch. Several of us noted and commented on the abundance of arms casually propped in corners or behind doors. About 2 years later, little sister came home from school to find her 12 year old brother dead in mom and dad's bedroom with a 44 handgun that was typically kept in the nightstand now beside hime on the floor. The marriage did not endure.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/30/18.

1Minute
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use ammo boxes (50cal and 20mm) plus 2 Craftsman 4 drawer tool cabinets.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Teach the grandkids that you will beat the fugg out of them if they touch anything like guns or ammo without you around. It worked for me and my brothers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5 gall buckets with a lid. Stack em up. No one will pay attention to them or what’s in them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Locked ammo cans and safes.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2500HD
5 gall buckets with a lid. Stack em up. No one will pay attention to them or what’s in them.

Unless the kid has designs on being a drummer...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lockable gun room.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the door lock idea. You could also consider a simple lockable storage box or cooler, like a Plano or Yeti style. But a lockable room or closet would be the easiest, by far.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It is a good idea to store ammo in Military ammo cans. If there is a fire, the top will just pop open, and all the bullets and many of the primes will still be in the can. If you store the ammo in something that will hold pressure, there maybe an explosion putting fire fighters in danger. A gun safe would be the worst possible choice for storing powder and loaded ammo.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I keep firearms in safe. I keep extra ammo storage in ammo cans. From 30 cal. small to Fat 50. They stack real good and airtight and cheap.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,112
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.