Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tim_K Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I was enticed by the numbers my pals were seeing with the .224 Valk, so I jumped on the flavor of the week. I have everything I need lying in a drawer except the actual upper an lower receivers. They arrive Feb 1. I'm looking forward to seeing if my friends are all full of crap or if this cartridge really does what they say. They're claiming 88g Hornady ELD's at 2750. The wind numbers are pretty impressive. It'll be a dedicated competition rifle for PRS style and field matches.

Anybody else playing with the Valk?

ARIC

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I built one last winter. Aero Precision lower, MAS Defense upper with 20" barrel, 2 stage trigger from Tom's Tactical.

At that time there wasn't much on the market for ammo and could only get the 75gr fmj's.

It shot decent (MOA or less) out to 450-500 yds but past that I was having issues with the wind pushing things around.

I ended up selling the upper and getting a 350 Legend that I can use for deer hunting in the Midwest (straight wall amo state). I have a tack driver .223 for coyote hunting so wasn't out anything selling the Valkyrie.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I built one. it shot one moa groups. However, I put it up for adoption. I didn't feel like it was worth the marginal increase in performance

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I thought about it, but keep changing my mind

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Originally Posted by Lennie
I built one. it shot one moa groups. However, I put it up for adoption. I didn't feel like it was worth the marginal increase in performance

Same for me. Shot very well just didn't see the advantage.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one in progress right now....Aero lower, BCA side-charging upper....not sure on the barrel, my son gave it to me. Picked up all of the ammo Walmart had for it when they started clearing it out. Guess we'll see how it performs once it's finished....I can run it against the 22 Nosler I built, but haven't done a whole lot with.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Tim_K
I was enticed by the numbers my pals were seeing with the .224 Valk, so I jumped on the flavor of the week. I have everything I need lying in a drawer except the actual upper an lower receivers. They arrive Feb 1. I'm looking forward to seeing if my friends are all full of crap or if this cartridge really does what they say. They're claiming 88g Hornady ELD's at 2750. The wind numbers are pretty impressive. It'll be a dedicated competition rifle for PRS style and field matches.

I think you will get less drop and drift with the 80gr ELD at 3000fps.

Ones post count on a forum has no correlation to level of knowledge on a particular subject.

eng-tips
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
What mags do you have to have for these 224 Valks?MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Tim_K Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
https://ammosc.com/

I bought these on the advice of another user. Haven't tried them yet since the rifle is still a pile of parts on the bench.

T
Tim_K Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Terminal223

I'll try both and see how the numbers pan out. The prevailing wisdom around here from the half dozen guys I know who are shooting them is that the 88's end up superior for wind. I'd like the additional danger space of the 80's, helps a little if I range the bush behind the target instead of the target, but wind drift is king in the games I play.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://ammosc.com/

I bought these on the advice of another user. Haven't tried them yet since the rifle is still a pile of parts on the bench.

ASC's are GTG. I picked up some for my 22 Nosler and they work for the 224 as well.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son and I built one in November. I bought him a PSA lower with the Guardsman on it since he is in the Army NG. He bought a 20" barreled PSA upper and put a Swamp Fox scope on it. He likes it so far, but has been pretty limited on what hehas shot in it since he's back to being a poor college student.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Terminal223

I'll try both and see how the numbers pan out. The prevailing wisdom around here from the half dozen guys I know who are shooting them is that the 88's end up superior for wind. I'd like the additional danger space of the 80's, helps a little if I range the bush behind the target instead of the target, but wind drift is king in the games I play.

Yep lived out there 15 years, 6 years in Divide or 6 miles south of Divide on 67 across from rainbow valley. More bear than yotes where I lived.

Ones post count on a forum has no correlation to level of knowledge on a particular subject.

eng-tips

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.