Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14505 12/01/01
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Has anyone used the the new Hornady SST bullets yet?I have just bought some for my 270 and if they perform well I will try some for my other guns.The SST bullets look like they will be accurate and offer good expansion like the Nosler BT's,but should hold together better than the Nosler bt's do.Any one have any thoughts,suggestions,load data or comments about these new bullets?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used them for 3 seasons now & have taken both Whitetails & hogs (& the odd crow & armadillo [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] ) with them. They are my pill of choice for the 270. Have only recovered one so far after a raking shot on a large (for the South) whitetail buck, about 190 lB. The bullet entered far back in the ribcage & almost exited the upper front leg (offside) after smashing 2 ribs on entry & the leg. It weighed 118 grns & was nicely mushroomed. Haven't recovered one on a hog yet, all headshots. Very accurate in my Sendero. You might say stick with what works, but Big Stick has put a burr under my seat with those damned X's. (I'm also somewhat of a speed nut, the "spang" of a 90 grm Sierra hollowpoint departing my Sendero at almost 3800fps kinda floats my boat, you know [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] . Hmmm, wonder what those 110 grn X's will do?? [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img] badger.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was impressed with this bullet at the range, so I decided to use it for hunting whitetail this year. On the first day of the deer season a couple of weeks ago I killed a nice 11 point using the 165 grain SST in my .300 Weatherby. The distance was about 30 yards. The bullet was placed through the ribs right behind the shoulder. There was a dime sized entrance hole and the exit hole was slightly bigger than a silver dollar. I really like it and will continue using it on deer.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have had great luck with them in the past. They killed a 115 pound doe for me last year at 265 yards. She went about 10 feet and that was the end of it. They are very accurate and are hard hitting. I shoot a 270 as well, but my buddy shoots a 7mm STW and I loaded some for him this last season. He shot a doe up the butt at about 150 yards and killed her stone dead. She went down at the shot. I have since changed bullets but it had nothing to do with the performance of these. I now shoot the 110gr V-Max and they are devistating. I have killed 2 deer and a dog with them and nothing has even twiched. These 2 bullets shoot to the same point of impact in my rifle so I can interchange them when I want to and still keep about a hundred loaded at all times. You know, just in case the deer start attacking [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] Really they are good bullets and at a lot better price than the Noslers. Ryan

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I’m probably a little late but I killed a smoothhead this morning with a 139 SST and a 700 MTN LSS in 7mm08. The range was not within my Yardage Pro 600’s limitations so I had to wing-it, had I had the Scout model it would have took the guesswork out of it. At impact, the velocity was close to 2700 fps a bit low but managed to shipwrecked the firehouse. The golf ball sized departure dropped her like a rag doll in a kickin fit, without so much as a hop. Oh yea, the range, I paced off 17 steps. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

New bumper sticker!<p>IT&#8217;S GOD RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BEN LADEN.....<p>IT&#8217;S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!!!!
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info guys.I have loaded a few of them already and they shoot real well.I hope to get a chance to try them out on deer before the season ends.I think I will also try some in my 300 mag and 260 if Hornady ever makes any sst's for the 6.5mm's.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.