Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Cool animals.

They'll come to a predator distress call too. smile Not that I'd shoot one, but they can come in, in some pretty good numbers.

Yep. Had some come in when we were calling for foxes many years ago. Had never seen one before so I didn’t shoot them. Very raccoon like, IMO.

Where, Neal.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
have only seen them twice when by brother and i had the lease on lake falcon/zapata.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems you cant go Coues hunting without seeing a ton of em. Thats my take on it.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Seems you cant go Coues hunting without seeing a ton of em. Thats my take on it.

sitting still and glassing tons of country at the right times of day?

that sounds like a pretty good recipe for success.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Hunting camp reply whenever someone asks why you are late coming in... I was attacked by a troop of coatimundis...

My wife calls them cucamongas...

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
Fugging azzholes of the jungle down in panama around Ft Sherman and JOTC.
Infil in your patrol base at night.
Raid and rip thru your fugging rucks looking for mre,s.
Strew your schitt all over the place.
Your fugging dry socks and t shirts all fugging mud covered and schitt....

Fugging Azzholes is what they are.
Koksucka,s had the training rotation and activity sites down to a science...

Lol!!!

Beat me to it!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Story.... was down south of Arivaca hunting coues with my dad. I was about 11.

Late afternoon, nothing moving except two Coatis moving up the slope toward us. Dad told me to shoot one..... ok.... I was reluctant to do that but pulled the rifle up anyway.

Just happened there was a flat rock between the two of them.... watched them for a bit ....then they moved back end to back end with that rock in the middle.

Ok, so I shot the rock, chips flew and hilarity ensued.... each attacked the other and they both twisted and tangled all the way down into the gully.

Great fun!

Last edited by TF49; 01/25/20.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My late friend Don Prentice told me of two stories of his encounters.

He was hunting mearns many years ago in S. Az when one dog grabbed a young coati. A troop dropped from the trees and the fight was on. Don had three german wirehairs with him that day. He said his mild mannered female flew past him and almost knocked him down to entered the fray. The dogs killed quite a few of them before the troop got away.

More recently around 15 years ago, Don's two German Shorthairs were with him while mearns hunting when they caught up to a troop. There was a running battle down the slope. Dogs left a trail of wounded or dead ones. Eventually the dogs came back with ripped up ears, and bleeding from a few cuts. He said ok girls you had your fun lets go back to hunting.

Dennis, amazing that coatis could kill several jag terriers!

Fortunately I have not had my GWPs with me when I encountered coatis. I have never bumped into them while mearns hunting. The largest troop I have seen had over 30 females and their young in unit 33.

They are the scourge of any canyon they travel. Az says you can kill one from Sept 1 through March 31. I have killed a few over the years while javelina or deer hunting. IMO their population is too large. They should be categorized as a varmint with no limits.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

interesting stories.......

again......never knew they existed.......

Coons here.....I trap & whack every one I can.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
We also have ring tail cats in S Ca. They are in the raccoon family too.

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Az has raccoons, ringtails and coatis.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Azshooter
My late friend Don Prentice told me of two stories of his encounters. He was hunting mearns many years ago in S. Az when one dog grabbed a young coati. A troop dropped from the trees and the fight was on. Don had three german wirehairs with him that day. He said his mild mannered female flew past him and almost knocked him down to entered the fray. The dogs killed quite a few of them before the troop got away. More recently around 15 years ago, Don's two German Shorthairs were with him while mearns hunting when they caught up to a troop. There was a running battle down the slope. Dogs left a trail of wounded or dead ones. Eventually the dogs came back with ripped up ears, and bleeding from a few cuts. He said ok girls you had your fun lets go back to hunting. Dennis, amazing that coatis could kill several jag terriers! Fortunately I have not had my GWPs with me when I encountered coatis. I have never bumped into them while mearns hunting. The largest troop I have seen had over 30 females and their young in unit 33. They are the scourge of any canyon they travel. Az says you can kill one from Sept 1 through March 31. I have killed a few over the years while javelina or deer hunting. IMO their population is too large. They should be categorized as a varmint with no limits.
I know German Shorthairs fairly well and not much about the Wirehair variety, but those must have been some very special dogs to have wreaked death on Coatis in a running fight. A sizeable troop of those fast, agile and toothy critters aggressively defending their canyon would be a significant problem for most pairs of dogs.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw one of Don's GSPs (one of the two in that second coati fight), Ziza, chase a coyote while we were hunting grounds squirrels in Montana. She caught it in a throat hold and killed it fast! She was such a gentle dog around humans, just like that female that almost knocked him down in first story, amazing how they can become so aggressive.

As to true wirehairs or VVD they are tested on their sharpness in Germany against badgers! Well they used to be used....think the european badger got a bit rare so they went to cats. I watched to my amazement my GWP Thor dispatch a housecat in a wink when it wandered on to our porch.

I can't say for sure that any of it happened wasn't there. Knew Don for over 35 yrs and he didn't exaggerate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My late friend Don Prentice told me of two stories of his encounters.

He was hunting mearns many years ago in S. Az when one dog grabbed a young coati. A troop dropped from the trees and the fight was on. Don had three german wirehairs with him that day. He said his mild mannered female flew past him and almost knocked him down to entered the fray. The dogs killed quite a few of them before the troop got away.

More recently around 15 years ago, Don's two German Shorthairs were with him while mearns hunting when they caught up to a troop. There was a running battle down the slope. Dogs left a trail of wounded or dead ones. Eventually the dogs came back with ripped up ears, and bleeding from a few cuts. He said ok girls you had your fun lets go back to hunting.

Dennis, amazing that coatis could kill several jag terriers!

Fortunately I have not had my GWPs with me when I encountered coatis. I have never bumped into them while mearns hunting. The largest troop I have seen had over 30 females and their young in unit 33.

They are the scourge of any canyon they travel. Az says you can kill one from Sept 1 through March 31. I have killed a few over the years while javelina or deer hunting. IMO their population is too large. They should be categorized as a varmint with no limits.

"They are the scourge of any canyon they travel"

what do you mean by that? they eat everything up?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can remember when your dog bit me every time I tried to shoot a carp with your bow. She really hated that for some reason. Good thing they were not hard bites!

European badgers are wuss's. An American badger would be a handful for ANY dog. I don't think coyotes will even engage them. First off they are too stinky and they are teeth and claws 3" off the ground. I have had one attack my truck tire on the highway. Good thing I had 10-plies or I would have had a flat!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just looked at this thread again. Yes the coatis eat everything! It is omnivorous and will eat a variety of different fruits, nuts and seeds, along with insects, birds eggs, rodents and small reptiles, Hard on quail nests and young which is why I am not fond of them.

Always wondered if the Popeye animal called a jeep was fashioned after the coati.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just looked at this thread again. Yes the coatis eat everything! It is omnivorous and will eat a variety of different fruits, nuts and seeds, along with insects, birds eggs, rodents and small reptiles, Hard on quail nests and young which is why I am not fond of them.

Always wondered if the Popeye animal called a jeep was fashioned after the coati.

whack 'em & stack 'em..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.