Light weight ✅
cheap and reliable mags✅
Threaded ✅
Appearance ✅
Fair price ✅

If real world price is $700 I will probably have to buy one

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did not say barrel was threaded to action.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reba
Did not say barrel was threaded to action.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Based on other threads that have been less than complimentary to the manufacturer re their customer service it will be a gamble to buy one.

Jim

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That’s a lotta gun for the money.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It has an "aluminum receiver". Based on that, I doubt it's threaded.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spoke with a gentleman that I know that is at SHOT. He's gonna stop by the CA booth and get some more details - specifically on the barrel attachment method. Other than being threaded, it's quite possible that the barrel is attached in a manner similar to the 10/22.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
‘Fowler, will pay attention as am interested in what you have to report on this.. thanks

Maybe a few shortcomings but that’s an attractive price point, if it shoots

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm also at SHOT and plan on seeing the guys at CA. I'll see what they'll tell us.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks sig

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was hoping to hear back from the gentleman I know who's at a SHOT. Nothing yet. Maybe OSU_Sig will have something for us.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I spoke with a gentleman that I know that is at SHOT. He's gonna stop by the CA booth and get some more details - specifically on the barrel attachment method. Other than being threaded, it's quite possible that the barrel is attached in a manner similar to the 10/22.

John Snow (Outdoor Life?) has a short review of the rifle up on Youtube. He does a quick overview of the gun and his perceptions of it - not much more than you'd be able to figure out from reading the CA website. And LOTS of background noise from the range behind him. I'm torn. I like the idea of a classy rifle with great accuracy that's lightweight and uses the Ruger magazine. But the closeups I've seen of the action don't thrill me that much (reminds me of the cheap Savage rimfires) - though pretty much everything else about it does. I get that they are trying to hit a cost margin with this gun, and it offers quite a lot while doing that. I'd happily pay a bit more for a better action. If Vudoo would make their action available in such a format, hell, I'd sell one of my kidneys to get it.

There, I got my gripes out. Guess I should have bought a 77/22 back when they were still reasonably priced. Then I'd really have something to b*tch about.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got some feedback from the guy I know that was at shot. Mixed feelings, largely surrounding the bolt. Seemed somewhat 'demur', in his words. I took that to mean not quite right. He did say that there was a steel insert in the rear of the action that the bolt lugs lock into. Saves galling of aluminum. No mention made of barrel attachment method. He did say that while the intent was to emulate the 700 footprint, they came pretty close but some inletting would be required of the mag well to adapt any other 700 stock to the Ranger. I question the placement of the front action screw - looks outta place for a 700 footprint gun.

Some have poo-poo'd the CA Ranger and writing it off before it even hits the shelves (May/June/, I'm told). The nay sayers are mostly those that are after a cheaper Vudoo - a trainer that emulates their heavy LR rigs. I don't think that this was CA's goal. They make, for the most part, hunting rifles. Hence, a light weight .22 RF to fall in line. Time will only tell how the CA Ranger works out. I'll be looking forward to fondling one personally. Only then will I say 'yes' or 'no.'

tkinak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ugly bolt handle, knob and shroud, other than that it doesn't look to bad although I'd like to see a more classic stock. If the rifle catches on someone will probably offer one. If the accuracy reports are good and the price is sub $700.00 I might could be tempted to own one. A price higher than that and I'd just as soon save my pennies and do a 1710 series Annie.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If it truly takes 700 triggers and 10/22 magazines, and shoots half inch or better at 50 yards, I want one. My biggest beef with most .22 rifles is the triggers. If I can drop a Jewell HVR into a .22 ... "gimme, and do int NOW."

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one is a nope for me. I am not a fan of carbon wrapped barrels. That stock doesn't work for me either. I suppose I am just ignorant on this, but what purpose does the cut out on the bottom of the butt play? A Mesa type stock with a Cerakote barrel would have my attention.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am not a fan of carbon wrapped barrels.

I'm still on the fence for centerfire rifles. Not ready to make the jump for rimfire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say it's a maybe for me. Lots of high-end Euro centerfires have aluminum receivers and bolts that lock into the barrel. Maybe the insert is the attachment point for the barrel. No rush, I've barely scratched the surface of possibilities for two of my other .22s. Half-inch .22s can be had pretty cheaply with good ammo; it's the .25-.4 rifles that make things really interesting.

As to CA customer service problems, that's news to me, but I've not really paid attention, largely because their tv show used to annoy the crap out of me. I always assumed their stuff was pretty good, just hyped to death.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
170 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.