Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't miss it. I didn't post on it this year. I just figured that after so many years of posting that people were getting tired of it. Actually, this year was the BEST ever. But let me start here. In 2018 our guide, Stephanne, who we had every year since 2004 committed suicide. It was devastating to us. I once told him I wished he were my son. At any rate, this year, 2019, I was met at the airport by this small framed young man, 24, and he introduced himself as our guide. I can't begin to tell you how skeptical I was. Actually he turned out to be the most fun person for a guide you could hope for. He outdid himself trying to please There was LOTS of snow. Some places there was almost 3 FEET of it. The only disappointment this year was the food. Oh, it was OK, but nowhere near as good as it has been in the past. The cook was new and the first night, before dinner he announced himself as being the best in the world. He was going to prepare meals like we have never seen before. It was ALL gourmet style and we are just plain meat and potatoes folks.

But to get to the hunting itself. As usual I hunted with a Savage 99. This year as last, it was with a 99 EG topped with a Ziess. My wife hunted with her tried and true Ruger American in 7mm-08.

On the first morning I shot a nice spike, BY CHOICE. My philosophy has changed as I age, now 75. And I happen to love to eat deer meat. Also on the first morning my wife shot a nice fat 100 pound doe.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

On day 2, we both saw deer but nothing to shoot at.

Day 3 my wife was sick so she slept in. About 10AM the guide drove past my stand on his 4 wheeler. He said he was going back to the lodge to see if Nan was OK. An hour or so later he came back and Nan was on her machine. It had snowed hard during the night but it was now near noon and the snow had let up. Off they went. At 1PM I was on foot in a swamp when I heard a shot. Nan had shot a nice 5 pointer almost 4 MILES from me and she couldn't believe I heard the shot. Today all I was were deer that saw me first. Nothing for me

Day 4 came and again it snowed all night. The guide said he was taking me to the high country. Nan came out just to be out. She had both her deer. We had driven in 4 wheel drive for over an hour when a nice buck crossed the road. I got out with rifle in hand but didn't take a shot. We continued up and this is what we saw.. It was drop dead breath taking but NO DEER or tracks. Road became impassable even with 4 wheel drive

On the way back, he dropped me at on of my favorite tree stands and after about 3 hours of sitting, the SAME buck I saw earlier crossed. This time he didn't make it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, but I am happy to get to read this report. I look forward to it every year. Beautiful photos! Congratulations on another banner season.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have posted.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
LBK..you know I look forward to this post every year as well!

Glad you guys had a great time!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A fer more pictures.

The last day as I was sitting in the tree this doe kept coming in. I mean literally. She would come in and leave. I would grunt and within 5 minutes, there she was again and again in the SAME spot. Grunt, bleat, or just wave a white hanky she would come.

Ladder stand I shot the spike from

Picture of my buck as he lay.

10/15 minutes after I shot the buck, I was back in the tree stand eating lunch. I left my pack and rifle 127 yards up the trail where the buck crossed, I looked up and this big doe was standing right next to my pack and rifle.

View from the dining room while we waited for the plane to get us of the island.

Wife playing with the deer.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a place I read about many years ago.
Great story, and pics.
Always wanted to go there.
The story I read, told about stalking deer on the beach where they ate seaweed that got washed up.
Thank you. I pray you have many more memorable trips.

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/26/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you for your post. I to have read about it and watched hunting shows on it. I would love to go some day. I am sorry for the loss of you friend.

I look forward to reading about this next year and years to come.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have hunted the beach and aside from the novelty of it, doesn't do much for me. I mean, with glasses you can see deer a half mile away. The kelp is an important source of winter food for the deer. I prefer hunting the woodlands. It's just me,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I would like the woods hunting as well.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don’t think we tire of this trip, LBK!! We WAIT for you to post about this trip!

Congrats to you and nan on another great north country adventure.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tzone
Don’t think we tire of this trip, LBK!! We WAIT for you to post about this trip!

Congrats to you and nan on another great north country adventure.

Yeah, you're doing something we all wish we could do....

Not ashamed to live vicariously!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for posting. Look forward to your report every year. Anticosti is a true whitetail hunters destination trip. Would love to go some day just to experience it.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Excellent story and great pictures. You are blessed to have a wife that will hunt with you!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have posted.

Hey, Pard, there’s others here that much enjoy and appreciate your postings on your annual hunting there. Well done and much appreciate your taking the time to share with us.

Great pics.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

Sounds like a fun hunt, and congratulations on your successes. I've read about Anticosti since I was a kid, and it looks like a very neat place. Love your choice of rifle too.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I sure enjoy this every year for sure .

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very nice!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some things are very strange about the internet. It seems to be full of the wrong things. Full of things most of us just wish would go away. Thanks to all who have replied to this thread. Thanks to CrimsonTide for initially PM'ing me and setting this in motion. Thanks to each and every one of you for the kind words and encouragement. I like the real deal in everything. You guys are the REAL DEAL. The ones that make the 24 what it is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LBK your Anticosti report is one the highlights of the hunting season for me.

Glad you all had a great trip and I am sorry to hear about your friend.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Hunting Anticosti Island is a unique experience. Always glad to read about it and see the photos. Good stuff.

RS

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 65 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.