Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Amateur hand gunner here, all my shooting has been at paper until now. I have a variety of mild steel targets and thought I would shoot these targets from much closer than the usual 25 and 50 yard distances. Maybe 7 yards, 15 yards or so. My guns are low power vintage cartridges, .22 LR, .32 ACP, .38 Spl, .44 Russian, .44 Spl, .45 ACP. With these low velocity rounds do I need to be concerned about ricochets back toward the shooter? I have heard of fellow muzzle loader shooters having bounce backs, although I never experienced it. You guys?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No expert here but have shot at an AR500 target from 7 yards with 9mm jacketed bullets quite often. I think I managed not to get hit because my mounting setup angles the target toward the ground slightly and the hard AR500 doesn't crater. Bullets hitting craters will splatter in uncontrollable ways.

Long time ago, early 80's, we used to shoot .357 and .44 Magnums at soft steel targets from 50 yards away which would get pretty cratered and we would occasionally get hit by fragments. Not hard enough to break skin or even hurt but you knew you were hit by something.

So I wouldn't recommend shooting the soft steel targets from up close even with milder rounds.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t shoot mild steel. Especially that close.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Amateur hand gunner here, all my shooting has been at paper until now. I have a variety of mild steel targets and thought I would shoot these targets from much closer than the usual 25 and 50 yard distances. Maybe 7 yards, 15 yards or so. My guns are low power vintage cartridges, .22 LR, .32 ACP, .38 Spl, .44 Russian, .44 Spl, .45 ACP. With these low velocity rounds do I need to be concerned about ricochets back toward the shooter? I have heard of fellow muzzle loader shooters having bounce backs, although I never experienced it. You guys?

Yes.

Don't do it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
No expert here but have shot at an AR500 target from 7 yards with 9mm jacketed bullets quite often. I think I managed not to get hit because my mounting setup angles the target toward the ground slightly and the hard AR500 doesn't crater. Bullets hitting craters will splatter in uncontrollable ways.

Long time ago, early 80's, we used to shoot .357 and .44 Magnums at soft steel targets from 50 yards away which would get pretty cratered and we would occasionally get hit by fragments. Not hard enough to break skin or even hurt but you knew you were hit by something.

So I wouldn't recommend shooting the soft steel targets from up close even with milder rounds.

You want your steel angled at 22 degrees, or a lot further away.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Steel targets of 3/8ths or 1/2", in good condition and flat ie: not concaved or have rifle hit craters, you will have no problems. There is always a chance of a very small zinger stinging you, but this can happen with targets set at longer ranges. On impact, the bullet splatters radially at the same plane as the target, they don't "bounce back", the minute pieces that make up that splatter can fly like a damned frisbee and come back to bite you, but it's not because they bounced back.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Whatever you decide, wear eye protection. A local literally put his eye out while plinking at mild steel with a 9mm not long ago. Protect your peepers!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Steel targets of 3/8ths or 1/2", in good condition and flat ie: not concaved or have rifle hit craters, you will have no problems. There is always a chance of a very small zinger stinging you, but this can happen with targets set at longer ranges. On impact, the bullet splatters radially at the same plane as the target, they don't "bounce back", the minute pieces that make up that splatter can fly like a damned frisbee and come back to bite you, but it's not because they bounced back.

All bullets do not splatter and some do indeed bounce back.
The safest way is to angle the target so as to deflect s bullets and splatter down into the ground

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Its all fun and games until a sliver of metal hits you in the eye.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by whelennut
Its all fun and games until a sliver of metal hits you in the eye.

BTDT

It is most unpleasant.

I wasn’t even the one shooting or at the shooting line so beware! shocked

V
V
The steel must be flat and smooth. Any imperfections in the surface can cause bullet frags to be re-directed back to the shooter.
Mild steel is OK for velocities under 1200 fps AND OVER 750 fps. but mild steel will always be hit by some slob with an AK even after you tell them not to. The resulting damage creates a dangerous situation that can / will cause injury. That is why we always recommend AR500 for shooting targets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://imgur.com/gallery/ADXXrOJ

You can’t imagine how much ammo you can shoot up in a afternoon. Hasbeen

Last edited by hasbeen1945; 01/27/20.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

Very nice! I wish I had the land where I could build something like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

Very nice! I wish I had the land where I could build something like that.

Me too. It’s a shooting club - range I belong to. That’s our pistol bays. We shoot at 10 yards. We have about 12 of these bays. Concrete block walls angled backstop. PSC range. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.