Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've always hunted big game with a 4x or 6x or open sights. Zero problems. I too wish there was a better selection of fixed power scopes.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of 4.5X Weaver Grand Slams. Love those scopes.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like my Leupold first version 4X compact.
Sits on my .35 rem 760
Need another for a .22rf

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lower power range variables have replaced 4xs for me, usually 2-7s. Really, they're effectively 2 or 7s for the most part; 7 at the range and 2 in the woods, until I need the extra boost in power anyway. There's not a big weight penalty compared to 4s, and the extra field and often extra eye-relief can be useful. Right now I have a couple of Hawkes with 4.5" of ER, and recently added a Weaver V7. All were discontinued models obtained cheaply, and all seem fine. Given recent events, I see no reason to pony up a lot more cash for Leupolds, but might buy a Burris if I need another.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, an option - I had a 4x Rimfire Nikon on a 7BR rifle.....dumped a WT running at 200 yds.........held good zero, optics quite good for the money at the time. I'd suspect they will hold up just fine on typical deer rifles. No doubt the 2-7s have a good niche....like the 4x and 6x - but it seems they could at least mfg them in plex in the Redfield line at a better price...probably sell more too.

But what do I know....I NEVER would have put a Wide Duplex in ANY scope if I were running Leupold.........just me.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
It looks like Hawke stll makes some:
https://us.hawkeoptics.com/vantage-riflescopes.html

Speak life
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
How are the hawke vantage scopes?

I have a need for a few scopes soon. 1 ML, 1 slug gun, and 2 .22

Really I was looking for 4x simple ... I could live with a 2-7 though so long as its not all cluttered up with BS turrets and dots and busy reticles.

Will the vantage scopes hold zero on a couple savage 220 slug guns? OPtics are less important to me, as thats what binos are for. Holding zero once its set is important to me.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect part of the "problem" of fewer 4x scopes remaining in production isn't just less demand from shooters, but the fact that there are so many used 4x scopes available. They tend to be pretty rugged (especially M8 Leupolds) so any company trying to market new 4x scopes is competing against the used market as well.
Same deal with "classic," lightweit 4x scopes. Dunno how many M8 Leupolds are still out there, but the supply seems to be endless, and since hunters who want fixed 4x scopes normally don't plan to twist the elevation turret so they can kill deer at 600+ yards, the old set-and-forget scopes work fine. But another indication of the dropping demand for fixed 4x scopes is the price of M8's keeps dropping.

A: I'm glad you shared info on the M8 4x28mm scopes in the past.
B: I'm glad their prices have come down.
I have bought two M8 4x28mm scopes in the past year and I'm very pleased with them. smile

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know yet about the Hawke Vantage 4x yet, as I'm about to order one. Just bought and mounted a Leupold FX-1 2-7x33mm shotgun scope on my Henry .45 Colt rifle. I can say that one works perfectly. That Hawke will be a spare along with my Weaver Classic K4[Japan ]. I like the fixed 4x scopes, just couldn't pass up the 2-7.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
BINGO!!! You hit on an old argument of mine. I always said that's what binos are for. A rifle scope is a sighting system for a rifle, not a bino. If you're using your rifle scope to look for and identify game you're violating a bunch of safety rules. Like never point a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot, always identify your target before pointing a loaded gun at it. Those two for starters. Yet guys on all forums expound the virtues of their $1000-$4000 Scope that they use at low light to identify game.WOW! And that's right at the time of day when an accident is most prone to happen, when light is low and vision already impaired and they're pointing their rifles around looking for a target.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Now back on subject. I have one fixed 4X Scope. It's an old Redfield I bought new in August 1966 to put on my then new Winchester Model 70 .270 winchster. It has a course crosshair reticle. Damn clear scope for the times. It has been on my 1983 model Winchester 94 AE .30-30 for the past 38 years. It's still clear and holds zero. I guess I'll keep using it until it fails. A place called Iron Sights in Tulsa OK rebuilds old Redfields and I've thought about sending it in for a referb. The cross hair is fraid and I don't know if it's about to fall apart or not. So far no fog. But I know that after 53 years it's probably living on a Wing and a Prayer.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/26/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some of those people, hopefully most, really mean they like the higher power for making sure they shoot the right animal out of a bunch or picking a hole through brush, not actually glassing. Hopefully.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good point Pappy, we can only hope.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Filaman
BINGO!!! You hit on an old argument of mine. I always said that's what binos are for. A rifle scope is a sighting system for a rifle, not a bino. If you're using your rifle scope to look for and identify game you're violating a bunch of safety rules. Like never point a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot, always identify your target before pointing a loaded gun at it. Those two for starters. Yet guys on all forums expound the virtues of their $1000-$4000 Scope that they use at low light to identify game.WOW! And that's right at the time of day when an accident is most prone to happen, when light is low and vision already impaired and they're pointing their rifles around looking for a target.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
How are the hawke vantage scopes?

I have a need for a few scopes soon. 1 ML, 1 slug gun, and 2 .22

Really I was looking for 4x simple ... I could live with a 2-7 though so long as its not all cluttered up with BS turrets and dots and busy reticles.

Will the vantage scopes hold zero on a couple savage 220 slug guns? OPtics are less important to me, as thats what binos are for. Holding zero once its set is important to me.

I have a Hawke Vantage 2-7 scope on a Mossberg 500 12g slug gun. Not a lot of rounds through it but so far, so good.

I find Hawke scopes are pretty nice glass for their price range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-freedom-1-5-4x20

Just bought one of these for the very reasons mentioned, you can't find a plain old 4X when needed!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a couple of 6x scopes on rifles that I use, a Leupold 6x36 and a Meopta 6x42. Both work very well for what I use the rifles for. I have a couple of new unused 4x scopes, a Leupold FXII 4x33 and a Ziess Conquest 4x32. A couple of years ago, I almost sold them. Now, I am glad I did not. I will eventually use them. It is nice to know that I have them when needed. RJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was chasing a Leupold 6x36 a few days ago and found out they were discontinued (both the 4x33 and 6x36 have been removed from Leupold's site now). I ended up getting a Meopta 6x42. The view is nice and bright and looking forward to mounting it on a rifle and sighting it in. I'm just not sure what to put it on yet.

Out of my current 19 scopes, 16 are Luepolds with one lone Swarovski, Zeiss and Meopta now. Let's hope Meopta keep making a 6x for a while yet. It's currently still listed on the web page.

Last edited by Elvis; 01/27/20.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Filaman

You certainly missed the point of better scooe optics. Game is spotted with binoculars, then one gets in the scope, Seeing better in ones scope increases one ability to define an exact aiming point.
Simply really

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by BillyE
Everyone started shooting 2000 yds, and now they think they need 50x scopes with four or five spinning dials. I imagine long range dove hunting will be a thing soon.

grin

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
457 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 47 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.