Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone willing to share their favorite venison sausage recipes. About to to stuff 30 lbs of venison just looking for some ideas on what to mix together.

Thx
Yar

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Make it 50% pork with a little cheese and japaleno

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What kind of sausage?

Bratwurst style or smoked/cooked?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If we’re talking summer sausage

2 parts deer, 1 part pork shoulder,
Get the Hi Mountain $5 seasoning kit.

You can add hi temp cheese too from this co:
https://www.waltonsinc.com/seasonings/high-temperature-cheese

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What kind of sausage?

Bratwurst style or smoked/cooked?

This.

Smoked is a bit different than fresh.

Smoked Polish, Hot Dogs is a bit different than smoked Summer or Bologna, or snack sticks.

Fresh Brat is a bit different than fresh breakfast of hot Italian.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Make some Boerewors sausage!!

I just received Eileen's book on sausage making from Rifles and Recipes. It has some great recipes and sausage making tips. Worth buying.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A big "plus 1" on Eileen's "Sausage Season" book.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord

The Lem Summer sausage seasoning is my favorite with about the same meat ration as slumlords

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Originally Posted by slumlord

The Lem Summer sausage seasoning is my favorite with about the same meat ration as slumlords

Does it have any garlic in it?

I have tried a few seasoning mixes..........no garlic or very little anyway.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gave up on sausage and made it all into jerky this year. tons easier.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Got enough to last a little while.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/26/20.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
.This is for 25lbs of meat. 4oz sea salt,2oz fresh ground black pepper,3 Heaping tablespoons of garlic powder,2 Heaping tablespoons of ground mustard,3/4 oz of whole mustard seed,3 Heaping tablespoons of marjoram leaves,1 oz of cure.Next peel one head of garlic and cook in a cup or so of water until the garlic is soft enough to mash(about 15 min).Let it cool or add a little ice to cool it and add to the spices with any additional water needed to dissolve the spices.Add it to the meat,mix well and run it back through the grinder.I usually run all my meat through a 1/4" or 5/16" plate first.Add spice slurry,mix and run it back through my grinder through a large plate.The one I use has only four pie shaped holes.I don't want to grind my meat any finer,just want to get my meat and spices mixed well on this second run.I like to use pecan chips for smoking.They come out nice and red.The secret is in the smoking.It takes only four hours.130 degrees for the first hour,150 degrees for the second hour and 160 degrees for the next two hours.Then spray it with cool water and then let it cool while still on the sticks for one hour.After that I let it cool in the fridge overnight and then vacuum pack after that.If you like juicy sausage use 60% pork butt(pork shoulder) and 40% deer,this is my favorite.It's juicy but not greasy.
.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When you guys have sausage made by a ‘pro’ do you get the sausage made from “your” deer?

Or is your sausage co-mingled with the 7 deer you had to step over out in the parking lot on that 74f degree afternoon at the processors shack?

eek

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Btw baldhunter that looks great!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Got enough to last a little while.

Our batch this year is looking awful slim, only around 300 pounds. We have done up to 600 pounds.

If I had my recipe close by I'd post it. German sausage from family but its been tweaked by us over the years until it got the flavor we like.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by baldhunter
.This is for 25lbs of meat. 4oz sea salt,2oz fresh ground black pepper,3 Heaping tablespoons of garlic powder,2 Heaping tablespoons of ground mustard,3/4 oz of whole mustard seed,3 Heaping tablespoons of marjoram leaves,1 oz of cure.Next peel one head of garlic and cook in a cup or so of water until the garlic is soft enough to mash(about 15 min).Let it cool or add a little ice to cool it and add to the spices with any additional water needed to dissolve the spices.Add it to the meat,mix well and run it back through the grinder.I usually run all my meat through a 1/4" or 5/16" plate first.Add spice slurry,mix and run it back through my grinder through a large plate.The one I use has only four pie shaped holes.I don't want to grind my meat any finer,just want to get my meat and spices mixed well on this second run.I like to use pecan chips for smoking.They come out nice and red.The secret is in the smoking.It takes only four hours.130 degrees for the first hour,150 degrees for the second hour and 160 degrees for the next two hours.Then spray it with cool water and then let it cool while still on the sticks for one hour.After that I let it cool in the fridge overnight and then vacuum pack after that.If you like juicy sausage use 60% pork butt(pork shoulder) and 40% deer,this is my favorite.It's juicy but not greasy.

Thats a LOT of smoking work

we have a 10x10 smokehouse. AC. Dehumidifier.

We hang on racks and I'll get a pan of hot charcoal going. Once its coaled up good, I put a stack of small green hickory, pecan or mesquite on top, put it in the house, close the door. Its sealed. I have no clue how hot it gets but this is usually around dark thirty on a satrudya. Get up Sunday morning and when I open the door about 9am I am letting all the smoke out.

Mixing. Season the meat before we grind it. Grind it. The dump in 7 gallon bucket where we have a big mixing wand on a big drill motor and mix it well.

Put it in the electric stuffer and away we go.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by baldhunter

Thats a LOT of smoking work

we have a 10x10 smokehouse. AC. Dehumidifier.

We hang on racks and I'll get a pan of hot charcoal going. Once its coaled up good, I put a stack of small green hickory, pecan or mesquite on top, put it in the house, close the door. Its sealed. I have no clue how hot it gets but this is usually around dark thirty on a satrudya. Get up Sunday morning and when I open the door about 9am I am letting all the smoke out.

Mixing. Season the meat before we grind it. Grind it. The dump in 7 gallon bucket where we have a big mixing wand on a big drill motor and mix it well.

Put it in the electric stuffer and away we go.

I use a propane burner for my heat source and just a small smoker box with wood chips for my smoke.The smoker I have will do 50lbs of links.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
TAG!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tag

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,871 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.