-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a Deere 5075e for commercial weed mowing three years ago. It has MFWD and a cab. I really like it. The only thing that has been a pain is keeping dust, pollen, and weed seeds out of the radiator. We have a weed around here called Spiny Lettuce that gets about 5' tall and has seeds the perfect size to plug the radiator. So when we mow those we have to bring a leaf blower and blow out the radiators when the AC stops working. That only works so well, so after a while we have to spray out the radiators with water. In fact, I'm getting ready to remove the CAC and radiator and give them a good cleaning to get ready for next year.

I got a loader with it. The mast pin popped out and bent the bracket. The dealer had someone out to the field in less than two hours, and they put a new bracket on the next day. No charge.

It was also less expensive than the comparable Kubota.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
I got a Deere 5075e for commercial weed mowing three years ago. It has MFWD and a cab. I really like it. The only thing that has been a pain is keeping dust, pollen, and weed seeds out of the radiator. We have a weed around here called Spiny Lettuce that gets about 5' tall and has seeds the perfect size to plug the radiator. So when we mow those we have to bring a leaf blower and blow out the radiators when the AC stops working. That only works so well, so after a while we have to spray out the radiators with water. In fact, I'm getting ready to remove the CAC and radiator and give them a good cleaning to get ready for next year.

I got a loader with it. The mast pin popped out and bent the bracket. The dealer had someone out to the field in less than two hours, and they put a new bracket on the next day. No charge.

It was also less expensive than the compa wrable Kubota.

You can buy a reversible fan for some models that would eliminate your radiator plugging problem. PM me tomorrow and I will provide the make. I will have to phone our JD dealer to find out the manufacturer

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My Kubota is 12 years old, nary a problem

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Go with the best dealer in your area. Ask around.

I like Green, but it’s the dealer that makes or breaks the deal, IMO.

DF

THIS!

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kubota, Kubota, Kubota . . . . . ..especially in the 70-100 HP range.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Mahindra.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Deere says all my relatives and friends that farm. Some of them tried some others Case and Kubota. They trade them in for JD and say never again.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mirage243

LOL.

Yeah whatever you do.... Oops. Too late.

Had one for 7 years that never was in the shop. Traded it in on a new 75hp cab last summer.

Just got done unloading cattle feed with it. Amazing it made it through that... whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I had them put two of those one ton pallets in the bed of my Ford pickup too. (Hope you approve of that as well...) smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from ]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Just got done unloading cattle feed with it. Amazing it made it through that... whistle

That's probably a pretty good load for that tractor.

Rear tires getting a little 'light'?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

LOL.

Yeah whatever you do.... Oops. Too late.

Had one for 7 years that never was in the shop. Traded it in on a new 75hp cab last summer.

I had them put two of those one ton pallets in the bed of my Ford pickup too. (Hope you approve of that as well...) smile

Got.several guys around here that have bought em and had tons of trouble with them, one buddy had his at the dealer 7 times before it had 100 hours. I'm currently on my 5th Kubota and not a single issue except busting the glass out of the cab twice. Definately not Kubotas fault, and the insurance Kubota offers covered both of them. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson

That's probably a pretty good load for that tractor.

Rear tires getting a little 'light'?

Not atall......

I had a 1500lb round bale skewered on the rear 3 point spear... laugh

Ballast.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I figured you might have had a counter weight!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
In this part of Iowa, we see more of the big blue New Hollands, I'm told they are much cheaper than a Deere.
They ought to be cheaper. I have 2 different neighbors that own TL90 New Hollands and they hate them and recommend never buying New Holland. There is always something amiss with those tractors. My 40 year old Ford 5600 keeps chugging along. If I was buying new it would be Deere, Kubota, or Mahindra. Not Case or New Holland.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Never owned or used a Mahindra, have had a number of Kubotas over the years. Friend bought a new Mahindra, had engine issues. The dealer didn't go to bat for him, soured him on Mahindra.

One thing about the big companies, like John Deere, you don't become a JD dealer if you're a small shade tree dealership. You gotta be the real deal with deep pockets to even apply.

The Mahindra dealer referenced above was a small time player, sold hay cutters and bailers, lawn equipment before getting the Mahindra dealership. He probably didn't have the backing he needed and Mahindra left him and his customer hanging. I'm not sure how they finally worked it out, but it wasn't a good deal. Now, I've heard they're good tractors.

Again, as I posted earlier, to me it's more about the dealer than the color of the tractor. They're all good when they're running.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
In this part of Iowa, we see more of the big blue New Hollands, I'm told they are much cheaper than a Deere.
They ought to be cheaper. I have 2 different neighbors that own TL90 New Hollands and they hate them and recommend never buying New Holland. There is always something amiss with those tractors. My 40 year old Ford 5600 keeps chugging along. If I was buying new it would be Deere, Kubota, or Mahindra. Not Case or New Holland.

I've had a NH TL80 for about 10 years. It's the same as a TL90, just a 80HP engine instead of a 90 one. It's been a good tractor, all I've done is to replace the hydraulic pump, which is a fairly simple fix. There are some New Order Amish who live around here, and they are allowed to drive tractors on the highway, just as we use our cars and trucks. They always have highway tractor in addition to their farm tractors, and that's all they use it for. For some reason, they really love those TL90's, and they are a very popular tractor with them.

The only new tractor I've ever bought was a 5600 Ford, and I had it for 20 years before it burned up. I put over 7500 hours on it, and spent only a couple of hundred dollars for repairs. Best one I ever owned.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hastings

Those old Fords are great tractors, like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep on keeping on.

A friend worked as a mechanic for the local Levee Board. They run tractors and cutters, maintaining miles of levees.

Levee Board had bought some Massey Ferguson tractors on bid. Bud said those were always in the shop. Perkins diesel engines were great but.transmissions and PTO parts weren't robust, didn't hold up,

Levee Board quickly learned how to write bid specs to eliminate MF as a vendor. You reckon their requests for proposals specified green tractors...??

Anyway, however they did it, they ended up with JD's and didn't have those issues.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by readonly

I want to get something that is 4 wheel drive, can pull a batwing...so that's at least 70 HP. Would like a loader to clear the driveway in snow, etc.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles but would probably like a cab. And will probably get something closer to 100 hp.

Budget?

What are you guys paying for new compact sized tractors?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Budget?

To be determined. I fully expect to pay at least 40k, and definitely want to keep it under 100k. This current timeline is at least a year out but hopefully no more than 2-3 years, I have a couple other priorities that need to come first. The size of the tractor will depend on if I am able to pick up some additional land. Also factors like whether I buy new or gently used. I want it to be a legacy tractor, one that is still in the barn 50 years from now being just by my sons. I won't rack up the hours so that should be doable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You can buy a really nice used 100hp machine for $50-60k.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about the brand or make ... I would go with whichever is the closest reputable dealer in your area. Trust me. Having a good dealer that can reliably service it is way MORE IMPORTANT.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.