Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Ive coon hunted all my life except the past few years,, miss it alot,, working out of town I cant keep a hound but will retire in a few years and will def get back,,

I AM AMERICA!
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like calling them.. But then again I like almost anything that comes to a call.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I like calling them.. But then again I like almost anything that comes to a call.

Yep! I shotgun them when the charge the ecaller.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can’t say coon!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Was a full fledged 25 years ago but lost all my places too hunt and had too give it up. Most of the land owners around here think coon dogs run off all their deer and don't want you on there property. Season is too short on the public too justify the dogs. Last one I had made a sure enough competition dog for an old buddy of mine . He hauled him all over winning a lot. Got offered 10K from some Texas gentleman and I told him to tell them He weren't for sale. My old Buddy kept on huntin that dog till the dog got old and died.

IC B2

H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jeeper

Was a full fledged 25 years ago but lost all my places too hunt and had too give it up. Most of the land owners around here think coon dogs run off all their deer and don't want you on there property. Season is too short on the public too justify the dogs. Last one I had made a sure enough competition dog for an old buddy of mine . He hauled him all over winning a lot. Got offered 10K from some Texas gentleman and I told him to tell them He weren't for sale. My old Buddy kept on huntin that dog till the dog got old and died.

Dang,, bitter sweet,,, heck of a deal to see one finished out huh,,almost nothing like it

I AM AMERICA!
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Get a cur. Hunt sq. in the morning and coon at night. Don't have to walk so far to the tree neither.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Whelenman
You can’t say coon!!!

that`s kinda what i thought ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When I first retired, I spent a lot of time in W. Va.. One of my pals there had mt. cur dogs.. They were awesome.. We hunted coon often.. Really miss that...

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Growing up my older brother had some great black and tan coon hounds we would run them all night, he has passed away but I still remember the times we had.

Last edited by old_willys; 02/09/20.

Ted
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't know of any coon hunters around here anymore. The fellow that used to hunt my place died a few years ago, and he was always trying to introduce new hunters to the sport, but apparently, none became interested . We're overrun with coons here, and I usually keep traps out year round trying to keep numbers under control. I have called in a couple of them while after coyotes, but have never really specifically targeted coons, and I may have to try that sometimes.

I used to go with local guys and their hounds, and enjoyed it when I was younger. But, as I got older, and had to get up the next morning and go to work, chasing coons until midnight lost it's appeal.

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad, brother and I chased a large number of hounds all over these united states for all our lives. I reached a point in my life where there wasent enough time, ( kids , self employed, other hobbies , did I say kids ) my dad was highly involved in our local ( coon club ) for over 35 yrs and did a lot of work for u.kc.. he was constantly trying to figure ways to encourage younger hunters too. my dad stayed after them old dogs right up to when he passed. my brother is still after them hard and heavy. every now and again someone will turn loose on our place , when i can I will set out on the porch or picnic table and listen to the chase and reminisce of days gone by and get a laugh or to from some old times with my dad and brother.I have thought about starting a hound but , oh the time and work involved. I just dont think I have it in me these days. but sure do miss those old times!!!

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish there were more coon hunters. I hate the turkey egg sucking little bastards. I will kill every coon I legally am allowed.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My uncle bought my cousin a brand-new '73 Nova with money from coon hides, so she could drive it back and forth to college. He hunted coons more or less commercially. He worked his butt off all winter long, coon hunting from horseback later on. He wore out! three Nylon 66s coon hunting, and still had his fourth Nylon when he passed away about four years ago. He was still hunting coons, even after the price of coonhides went into the pits. He loved it.

I can remember seeing a newspaper article from 1956, when he and a couple of other guys got 56 coons in one night. It made the local paper, no one was working that hard at it back then.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When I was a kid[16-22], I coon hunted and trapped all the time. Had a couple great blueticks. My buddy was partial to black and tans. we had 5 yrs. in a row that we caught over 100 coons/year. Fur prices then were great, and it helped pay for 1/3 of my college education.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used to own Walkers and really enjoyed coon hunting with my brother and a few others. Nothing like running the dogs around the woods at night. Life changed and I sold them and my tracking stuff years back. The only coons I get now are the ones I trap when they start getting into my garbage.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 04/01/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I used to be a 5 night a week minimum coon hunter. Knees went bad,had to have full replacements about 5 years ago. Sold my hounds,tracking equipment and box. Still have my stamping machine for brass name plates,boots and lights though. Spend more time killing yotes and cats now.
But damn I sure miss the hounds

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was growing up, a friend and I had a rule...... Friday nites were for coon hunting or running dogs.... Saturday nite was for the girls.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I grew up hunting coons with my dad and uncle. My uncle owned quite a few champion Redbones. Back then we could hunt almost anywhere and not worry about property boundaries. Nothing like the sound of those dogs hot on the trail. Unfortunately, due to changing times, I'll probably never experience those sounds again.

Last edited by ATC; 06/28/20. Reason: spelling
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My grandfather was a big time coon hunter, and I went on a number of coon hunts when I was a kid, and even for a several years thereafter. The only coon hunting I do now is with a call or a trap. Very few people hunt them around here anymore, and the country is overrun with them. I've trapped 6 and called up one around my sweet corn patch over the past few weeks. About the time I think I've gotten rid of them, they start showing back up again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

569 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.