Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Page Six
Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)

Kobe Bryant’s helicopter was flying dangerously low before fatal crash
By Emily SmithJanuary 27, 2020 | 12:38am
Video shows aftermath of the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash

The pilot of Kobe Bryant’s helicopter was warned he was flying dangerously low before he crashed into a California mountainside at around 185mph, killing all aboard.

Flight tower audio reveals that the pilot of Kobe’s helicopter — tail number N72EX, was told, “Two echo x-ray you are still too low for flight following at this time……(then ATC talks to another aircraft)….two echo x-ray SoCal?”

Flight Following is a service air traffic control gives to aircraft to provide improved situational awareness and avoid collisions with other aircraft. SoCal handles the low altitude traffic in Southern California.

Aviation sources said the LA weather was extremely foggy on Sunday morning and most helicopter traffic was grounded. The pilot of Kobe’s chopper planned to land at Burbank Airport but had been circling the area for around 15 minutes waiting for clearance to land because of the bad weather conditions and other aircraft on flight plans landing at the airport.

Shortly before the crash, the pilot climbed the helicopter to 2000 feet then flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight data showed they were traveling at 161 knots (185mph).

A second aviation source said Bryant’s chopper had twin engines, so they would not have crashed if they had lost one engine. The source said, “All the signs point to a CFIT [controlled flight into terrain] which is when an aircraft under the complete control of a pilot is inadvertently flown into the land, sea, or a building. These accidents happen when the pilot loses situational awareness. The crash site also points to this, given how the debris is scattered, it looks like they went nose-first into the mountain.”

The source added, “Kobe’s helicopter is 29 years old, and most Sikorsky S-76s fly with two pilots. On Sunday, Kobe had just one pilot, who was likely flying on visual flight rules, rather than using instruments to monitor altitude.”

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
apparently that helo was rated for 0/0 height/vis and I assume the pilot had a "Special Instrument Card" allowing him to take off in 0/0. Other than extreme operational requirements (as in we are in a war and men are dying so you need to launch), there is absolutely ZERO NEED to take off in those conditions.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I worked many car wrecks when I was a paramedic. I have pulled many, many dead people out of cars. Not pretty.

But I worked one airplane crash. A twin engine Beech flew into the ground in a thunderstorm, at 225 mph. A man was the pilot, two females aboard, and one little boy.
The biggest piece of body was about the size of a football, but smashed flat. We ran by Home Depot and got a roll of heavy duty black plastic garbage bags.
At the crash scene, we labelled one bag "MAN," we labelled one bag "BOY," we labelled on "WOMAN #1" and the last, "WOMAN #2."
Then we spent six hours picking up pieces. Sometimes we had to guess which bag the piece went in to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I first heard of what happened on FNC and saw the weather my first thought was CFIT. Watched a short video clip with audio from the radar room and it pretty much confirmed that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I think the pilot fugged up!

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm hearing the same from veteran helo pilots that I know. Tragic none the less.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if I have to die in a plane crash, CFIT is the way I want to go.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I worked many car wrecks when I was a paramedic. I have pulled many, many dead people out of cars. Not pretty.

But I worked one airplane crash. A twin engine Beech flew into the ground in a thunderstorm, at 225 mph. A man was the pilot, two females aboard, and one little boy.
The biggest piece of body was about the size of a football, but smashed flat. We ran by Home Depot and got a roll of heavy duty black plastic garbage bags.
At the crash scene, we labelled one bag "MAN," we labelled one bag "BOY," we labelled on "WOMAN #1" and the last, "WOMAN #2."
Then we spent six hours picking up pieces. Sometimes we had to guess which bag the piece went in to.

That's a terrible day!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Toddly
Well if I have to die in a plane crash, CFIT is the way I want to go.

Yeah man. Instant lights out has gotta be better than a prolonged screaming death spiral getting thrown around the cabin.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, it is foggy, the passengers are not aware that there is a problem. Instant lights out. That is a good way to die.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lot of speculation here... even if it was CFIT they might have clipped terrain or power lines before crashing. Could have been instant, could have been much worse.

Either way flying SVFR in mountainous terrain is stupid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I guess Kobe didn't spend the extra money for a terrain awareness and warning system?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Lot of speculation here... even if it was CFIT they might have clipped terrain or power lines before crashing. Could have been instant, could have been much worse.

Either way flying SVFR in mountainous terrain is stupid.

Yep - I'm VFR or I'm IFR, the middle ground is where bad stuff happens.

Note: Just because he was too low for flight following doesn't make it especially dangerous. There are lots of places out there without low coverage.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It all boils down to why a chopper was flying in that kind of weather- - - - - -"Rules don't apply to rich folks!" I doubt if anyone on that bird qualified as "Joe Sixpack", and the upper crust have a way of believing they're immortal, whether if applies to flying, driving exotic cars, or indulging in drugs and other risky lifestyle choices. Too bad he's gone, but a little common sense about how to get to that airport might have saved a lot of lives.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Where is the far side cartoon of the pilots wondering what mountain goats are doing all the way up here?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
SO because I don't know, but this was a helicopter so instead of circling for 15 minutes why couldn't they hover in place for 15 minutes, until conditions cleared enough to land safely?

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's what I'm wondering. If in doubt, why didn't he just hover, until he got his bearings.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A crawdad has loose gravel in his head so gravity lets his brain know which way is up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hover in fog? I don't think so. Unless there's an autopilot hover mode coupled to a GPS, you have to be able to see the ground to hover.

If my helo knowledge is out of date, somebody please correct me.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wonder if he got the “leans” from circling for so long

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.